The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:34 pm 

off the fantail of a ship, Im sure its some kind of wire attached the the helicopter but what kind of wire?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:00 pm 

shipclambake wrote:
off the fantail of a ship, Im sure its some kind of wire attached the the helicopter but what kind of wire?

It depends on the scale. In other cases of in-air aircraft it could also be a consideration where the wire is connected to the aircraft and at what angle, but this case is the simplest with a perfectly vertical straight wire going into pretty much the center of gravity of the helicopter. In the more complicated cases you might use something that doesn't bend or deform much, like spring wire.

In your case you would use some kind of steel wire because it's stronger for a given thickness than copper or plastic and is already close to the right color. If you are modelling in 1/700 you can get very thin wire by taking apart woven cables, like the kind used to hang picture frames to walls. Obviously doing that will get you wires with lots of kinks. Straighten the wire by putting it between two very flat hard surfaces (like two cutting boards) and then sliding them back and forth.

For larger scales, I might use something stiffer. Try looking at sewing needles in a sewing store - some are very thin. You can also try looking for beading needles, which are usually two springy steel wires joined at the ends to make what looks like a single wire. I like using those for antennas in 1/72 tanks. Stores that sell equipment for beaders will have spools of thin wire, but those tend to be very soft and I would not recommend getting those.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:01 am 

Thanks spejic I'll look for the items you suggested.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:39 am 

You could also consider disks of clear acetate for the helicopter's rotor blades.
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:46 pm 

Besides painting the helicopter and wire/rope/vehicle what do you think of what I came up with?

Attachments:
20201003_160808small1.jpg
20201003_160808small1.jpg [ 25.7 KiB | Viewed 1295 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:24 pm 

Very nice and in reasonable scale! An elegant solution to the thicker wire you'd have to use for a single-line slung load.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:06 pm 

That is very impressive, both in detail and style.

Can you describe your material and process to help future modellers that come across this thread?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:10 am 

I wanted to replicate the attached picture since I've seen loads done before I want to do something different. The helicopter is a Aoshima Chinook with Toms Model photo etch Chinook blades. The truck is also a Aoshima brand everything is 1/700 scale, I used Albion Alloys 0.5 mm Brass rod to replicate the cables coming from the helicopter to the truck, There are one set of 2 lengths of brass rod at the front of the truck and the rear of the truck going to the helicopter. I used BSI Insta Cure + and also used BSI accelerator to join the brass rods together at the top so they wouldn't separate. When the CA cured I attached that end to the helicopter using CA once again using BSI accelerator since it would separate due to the tension on the brass rod.

Attachments:
796360101550818.jpg
796360101550818.jpg [ 34.74 KiB | Viewed 1283 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:13 am 

spejic wrote:
That is very impressive, both in detail and style.

Can you describe your material and process to help future modellers that come across this thread?

Thanks spejic I wanted something to spice up my otherwise boring ship, Ive included a write up on my assembly of the mini diorama above.

Last edited by shipclambake on Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:15 am 

Timmy C wrote:
Very nice and in reasonable scale! An elegant solution to the thicker wire you'd have to use for a single-line slung load.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:15 pm 

Crafty solution, sir! There are some PE loads out there... will look in my PE stash for company/parts number.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:47 pm 

D-Boy wrote:
Crafty solution, sir! There are some PE loads out there... will look in my PE stash for company/parts number.

Thanks D=Boy, I appreciate the search for the information but I found it I think it was Black Dog or something like they make resin loads, I even found a Asian company that does PE artillery containers maybe its the same one lol, Check your pm's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 am 

But how would you model a helicopter (or any A/C) coming in to land WITHOUT a load? Besides using a miniaturized anti-gravity devise?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:46 am 

drasticplastic wrote:
But how would you model a helicopter (or any A/C) coming in to land WITHOUT a load? Besides using a miniaturized anti-gravity devise?

With a thin clear styrene rod maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:46 pm 

Agreed...that's the only practical way. But every time you touch the model the A/C becomes a pendulum! :big_grin: