The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:47 pm 

I am building the USS Ranger in 1/350 and along with the hanger deck there are several small platforms that attach to the hull that need to be painted deck gray and also require that PE is added as well. I am wondering if many of you attach PE railings to an unpainted deck or if you paint the deck surface prior to attaching the PE. Also do you paint the PE prior to attaching to the deck? I know that CA will not stick to paint so do you use another type of glue or do you scrape off the paint in the area where the PE will go? How do you clean up the deck after the PE has been attached for a finished look?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:28 pm 

Well, those with more expertise may disagree, but I have been quite successful spraying the entire sheet of PE before parts are even cut out. PE is just about the LAST thing to be installed be it railings or details on subassemblies due to the increased ability of thumb-fingers to damage the fragile product. The deck or area of installation should be finished first. Then cut out, shape and fit the particular PE part. I use a strip of diluted white glue (Elmers?) applied to the PE with the PE part meeting the deck as you intend it to be with final minor adjustment. Once its on, walk away and let the white glue set up and do its thing. Once the glue is dry, you might add a little CA where needed and touch up the paint of both the PE part and surrounding area. Take your time, don't hurrey the process.
T2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:46 pm 

Me too! I prime and paint the PE while still on the fret. You can expect some minor chipping during removal and folding process, but it's easy to touch-up after installing the parts. Ever try painting the insides faces of a crane, or aircraft catapult, after folding the structure? Lot easier to paint everything beforehand.
:wave_1: