The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:42 pm 
A couple years ago i purchased a Mini Hobbies Spruance class destroyer kit, and have finally started to build it. I knew there would be some issues with decals and other things, but I just got the PFE for it - cool. What I didn't know, the bridge superstructure does not flush up to the bow. They made it so that there is a walkway on the port and starboard sides, but one had to walk thru a tunnel to get from the bow to midships. The hull and main decks are nearly finished, but I need to get this narrowed bridge figured out. So, I'm open to any ideas you may have. I'm building O'Brien 975 out of Ingersoll. I fear a lot of strips of styrene and putty and bad words are in my near future.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:16 am 

Can you post a couple of pics with the super on and off so that we can see how big the discrepancy is? I thought these were copies of the old dragon kits, but could be remembering wrong. I recall a few issues with the tico super, but nothing Too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:01 am 

The area above the sides only contain the bridge wings, and the sides have very little detail, so this shouldn't be that difficult to fix. I'd probably cut off the details on the wing itself and just build up the sides with sheet plastic until it's even on the sides. Then clean up the front and back and replace the wing details.

I had to do something broadly similar to a JMSDF kit, and you are lucky you don't need to do things like re-engrave bridge windows and such.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:37 pm 
I'd like to send a picture, but the page says I can't post attachments. I was going to use my phone, but I can't get logged in using it, and I'm not even sure of my register name (it's been a while). If I need to re-register, ok, but I can't even find a place to do that. I don't know how I was able to post this question on my laptop as I didn't have to sign in; maybe my phone is the problem? It's tough being a dinosaur. Thank you for your replies, I really enjoy this site!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:42 pm 

You don't need to register to post, but you do need to register and log in in order to use the image upload function. The image upload function has limits on the sizes of the photos you can attach, so if it's sometimes easier to upload the images to a dedicate image host website like Flickr or Imgur and just post the link to them here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:00 am 

Email the pics to me. Add the @ and dot to the following address.

ffh331 hotmail com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:44 pm 
Ok, I mocked up the superstructure, and sent some photos to the admiral. I hadn't done this as I wanted to paint the parts while still attached to the sprue, but it's too cold to paint anyway. I think I was overthinking the issue, and with your help, believe this won't be too bad after all. Just something I didn't see coming. Thanks again, and Happy New Year!