The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:36 pm 

I am sure I am not the only one but the search function did not deliver any answers.

So, I am having serious troubles working with 1/700 GMM photo etch as all the blades (high quality modeling & surgical blades that go through almost everything like a hot knife through butter) I use won‘t really cut it from the frame. Either the parts come off severely bent, there is a lot of cleaning necessary or the blade is damaged.
So I thought about getting some super fine scissors. What are your preferred tools when it comes to really sturdy PE parts?

Best regards,

TheDuneSea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:08 pm 

What blade shape are you using and what surface are you cutting on? I don't have issues (well, not any more issues) cutting with a curved blade on a piece of ceramic tile.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:03 pm 

I use just a standard curved Exacto blade. I used to use a ceramic tile for the cutting board, but switched to a piece of 1/2" thick UHMW plastic.

I cut the sprue close to the waste part of the fret, then trim it close with one of two Xuron shears designed for cutting brass or stainless steel PE, # 9180 (Longer), # 440 (shorter). Then, with a swipe or two from a diamond hone (bought at a fishing supply place, used for sharpening fish hooks I think), lightly dress the edge.
Just takes a bit of patience.

EJ

" 1/700Trumpeter 43
" 1/540Revell vintage 62
" 1/350Trumpeter 42
Fair Winds and Following Seas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:47 am 

Location: Waiting for HMS Glatton in resin. Not holding my breath!!
Try using a proper Swann-Morton scalpel blade. They are much more robust than X-Acto, which I have always found to chip and blunt as soon as you look at them. As above, use a curved blade on a ceramic tile or a sheet of glass.

Another idea. Try turning the fret over and cut from the back side. It gives a slight gap under the attachment point when you cut, and that can be easier.

The material that GMM use for their photo-etch is very tough, and I find it harder to work with too.

Regards, David Griffith.

"For scientific leadership, give me Scott. For swift and efficient travel give me Amundsen. But when you are in a hopeless situation, when you are seeing no way out, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:46 pm 

After going through a great many #11 blades and having the tips break, I started using a narrow X-acto chisel blade with most of it ground away until only 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch is left. This allows adaquate pressure to make the cut with no worries of the blade breaking. It also allows for re-sharpening using first 6K and then 12K sanding film

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:02 am 

Do not use #11 blades to cut photoetch parts on a hard surface like ceramic tile. The tip can fly into your eye and it really really hurts.

I used a curved blade (I like the #12) and just keep a sharpening stone nearby when I'm doing that kind of cutting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:44 am 

One thing I learned when working with super small details is to wear my Optivisors , not only great for magnifying these tiny bits but protects the eyes also!