The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:33 pm 

Hi all-

I'm contemplating a kit bash of the Arkansas, also of Texas. I prefer the ships in their pre-WW2 configuration, without all the AA guns. My plan is to dremel off all the molded splinter shields and AA gun emplacements. This will leave teh deck heavily scarred.

Any suggestions on repairing/replacing the decking in 1/350? Is there a sheet styrene product I can use, or should I plan to plank it with scale lumber, or is there another solution?

Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:56 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

One option for your consideration: Evergreen N-gauge car siding looks very convincing as planked decks in 1/350 scale.

Link: https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collec ... car-siding

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:23 am 

+1!

Only: be careful with the scale.

For my current project in 1/300 scale, I found N-scale car siding to be way small; making the planks too narrow to be accurate.

Luckily, Evergreen has a range of car siding and V-groove (basically the same thing) sheets, with different distances between the grooves.
So measure the width of the planks of your ship, divide by 350, and choose the Evergreen sheet accordingly.
For my project, I chose 0,75mm spacing, which scales out to 22,5cm wide planks in 1/300.

Evergreen offers the sheets in different thicknesses. I am using 1mm thickness because I need to build the entire thickness of the decks, but for your application the thinner sheets will be better. Just mentioning this so you don't accidentally buy the wrong thickness, as these sheets are relatively expensive for plastic sheet. But the quality is great!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:08 am 

Adding another layer of styrene, even if it is only .5 mm, will raise the deck level by that much, and could hide, or interfere with some molded-on features. You can get generic laser-etched wood deck sheeting that you cut to your required shape. Much thinner than sheet styrene.
:wave_1: