The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compressor Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:35 pm 

I'm considering getting a compressor to run my airbrush. My local model shop has two available, both the same compressor, but one has a storage tank and one does not. The shop guy said the airflow from one without a tank will pulse slightly, but is almost half the price of the other. Can anyone tell me if the lack of a tank will be significant for painting model ships? I know strictly a tank would be better because of the consistency of airflow but does it make that much of a difference when painting ships?

Post subject: Re: Compressor Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:58 pm 

Personally, I'd go for the one with the tank. Look at it this way - it's a capital investment, and you'll have it for years. Better to buy it now, than to regret you didn't get the tank later.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:03 pm 

The tank (with a regulator I assume) is nice to have but there are probably better places to spend money. You could probably replace all your paints and still have $$$ left over for supplies, photo-etch or what have you.

I uses a Pasche compresser with a bleeder valve (adjusts pressure and keeps it running when the airbrush is stopped) and have never had any issue with pulsing. You may want to consider an inline moisture trap ($10.00 maybe) as part of your purchase if humidity is an issue.

As for the tank... I'd pass if you're on any kind of a budget.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:35 am 

The cost with tank is $359. Without is $200. Both have a high quality (I'm told) regulator and water trap.

I model only in the winter months here (Queensland). By September when Spring comes my mind will turn to this:

Attachment:
wind.jpg
wind.jpg [ 66.37 KiB | Viewed 3069 times ]

and I will pretty much only be doing this with my leisure time till next May.

$359 seems a lot to pay for a seasonal, intermittent, hobby, but $200 seems more doable. But i need to know I can get good results without a tank before I commit those $. I want to get excellent results on my models when I do make them and can't help but feel my spare tyre air source is holding things back bit (it's certainly inconvenient).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:24 am 

A commercial compressor with a 2 gallon tank costs around $80 when on sale, and a decent airbrush costs $100 - that's cheaper than what your hobby shop is selling them for. Of course, you'll probably have to find a coupling that fits, but that's not too hard to find.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:06 am 

Yeah, don't buy a compressor from a hobby store, go to a DIY store they will have it for much less!

On the workbench:
1/72 F-14A Bounty Hunters First Tomcat deployment
1/700 CVN-71 Theodore Roosevelt Last Tomcat deployment
1/700 CG-62

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:43 am 

Wal-Mart has them reduced down to about $65-$70 US. You'll want a smaller pressure guage and a moisture trap. They have those too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:01 pm 

I've been looking at $89 compressors at my local hardware barn. They also have what's called "filter" sold separately which is a glass bell-shaped device with a pressure gauge on it. Would that be a water trap too?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 am 

Sounds like it. Is there a way to drain it in the bottom of the bell?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:24 pm 

I trap the moisture by placing a small automotive petrol filter on the hawse 7 cm before the airbrush.

Just my 2 cents.

Yevgeniy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:58 am 

les wrote:
Sounds like it. Is there a way to drain it in the bottom of the bell?

I didn't see a drain. I guess it must just have been a "filter"

I like Yevgeniy's idea though.

Still looking into all this. I have to admit I'm thinking that a larger compressor that could drive a nail gun or a spray gun (for my 1:1 scale boat projects) might be a good investment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 am 

I agree with other here, don't buy the compressor from the hobby store. Personal experience has been you will save in the long run buying a commercial unit. I bought a Campbell Hausfeld for under $100.00 that has lasted more than 8 years now. My Badger and Paasche only lasted a year each.
Web link http://www.jackssmallengines.com/equipm ... number=681

Connections are easy to make using the kits supplied by Hobby Link or other stores http://www.hobbylinc.com/airbrush/accessories.htm

And yes you will want a water trap if you live in a humid zone. Or make sure you open the tank drain before use to bleed off any water.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:20 am 

I'm still in two minds...

What do you think of this one?

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/review ... nkcomp.htm

These are available at my local store for $199.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:56 am 

Tigerfish wrote:

I am yet to be impressed with GMC or arlec products same people import them in VIC.

What about Bunnings or mitre 10? do they have anything interesting, ALDI are they in Qld? They sometimes have sales at near or lower than cost, K Mart Had tyre pumps that looked like hobby spray units as well. (Hint just been taken over by Bunnings & seem to be dumping some stock.
I'm using a 60psi silenced comp from a ex dentist, apart from when I'm using the 3phase comp 250psi for other work.
Anywhere near Makay?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:14 pm 

Quote:

I don't think you need anything that big unless you're going to use it for air tools.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:33 am 

HMAS wrote:
I am yet to be impressed with GMC or arlec products same people import them in VIC.

What about Bunnings or mitre 10? do they have anything interesting, ALDI are they in Qld? They sometimes have sales at near or lower than cost, K Mart Had tyre pumps that looked like hobby spray units as well. (Hint just been taken over by Bunnings & seem to be dumping some stock.
I'm using a 60psi silenced comp from a ex dentist, apart from when I'm using the 3phase comp 250psi for other work.
Anywhere near Makay?
Tony

That GMC is available at Bunnings right now (I'm just north of Brisbane BTW). They have other compressors right down to 89 dollars. But I have no idea about how good they'd be, particularly if they're noisy (I expect they are). As I have some vague ideas of how useful a big compressor would be for other projects (I have built one real sailing boat and want to build another) but I don't want to end up with a piece of cr@p not ideal for either role. As usual if you want quality you pay for it and I'm unfortunately a bit of a tightwad. :big_grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:41 am 

I'd say go for the inexpensive hardware store compressor with the tank if you can. I had one and liked it --it was nice to also be able to use it with air tools and to fill tires -- but for an apartment dweller, it was too noisy and bounced around too much.

I invested in a Sparmax TC-2000 and it's been one of the best hobby investments I've made (well, it and the Sotar 20/20 I use with it). It's dual piston and has an automatic on/off switch. No tank, but due to that switch and the dual pistons, there is no pulsing at all. It's also dead silent, I can run it at any time of the day or night and no one else is the wiser, and it doesn't drown out my music as I work.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 am 

Tigerfish wrote:

I have no knowledge of that unit, but happy with my Campbell Hausfeld from Lowes. Sears has some nice units as well.
I prefer the versatility of a larger unit myself; can do so much more with a bigger unit than just spray a model. In my humble opinion I get more for my money when I can get double duty from the same thing. I guess you can look at it as it’s better to have too much than not enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:10 am 

Devin wrote:
I'd say go for the inexpensive hardware store compressor with the tank if you can. I had one and liked it --it was nice to also be able to use it with air tools and to fill tires -- but for an apartment dweller, it was too noisy and bounced around too much.

I invested in a Sparmax TC-2000 and it's been one of the best hobby investments I've made (well, it and the Sotar 20/20 I use with it). It's dual piston and has an automatic on/off switch. No tank, but due to that switch and the dual pistons, there is no pulsing at all. It's also dead silent, I can run it at any time of the day or night and no one else is the wiser, and it doesn't drown out my music as I work.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

The add said it has no gage, so I guess you can't adjust your pressure except with the airbrush trigger?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:05 am 

Tigerfish wrote:
That GMC is available at Bunnings right now (I'm just north of Brisbane BTW). They have other compressors right down to 89 dollars. But I have no idea about how good they'd be, particularly if they're noisy (I expect they are). As I have some vague ideas of how useful a big compressor would be for other projects (I have built one real sailing boat and want to build another) but I don't want to end up with a piece of cr@p not ideal for either role. As usual if you want quality you pay for it and I'm unfortunately a bit of a tightwad. :big_grin:

Forget the hobby stuff!
Get the largest tank & comp you can then. Secondhand can be ok. A vertical tank with the comp on top, was sold by Servex, (an ozzie company still in business I believe). You can turn the reg down for airbrushing etc.
If you are considering a 1to1 scale boat Painting/air sanding (uses lots of air quickly) you do need a large cap compressor, none of these will be quiet. During the day no problem, at night unless you are on a large block or keep on good terms with the neighbours, BBQ's occasionally, it can be a problem after midnight.