The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Because I am useless
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:53 am 

When I see PE correctly applied, I feel that's what I'd like to do for my model, the problem is, I am totally useless at radar's, obviously the PE are flat and bent into shape, this is where I normally throw it in the bin - Is there a step by step guide of how to construct radar antenna assembly's ? I do follow the step by step guide that comes with the PE, and for me, that's a bit like entering the twlight zone. Look forward to your reply.

Post subject: Re: Because I am useless
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 am 

Alec,

Everyone has to start somewhere, so don't beat yourself up over having difficulties with PE. It's fiddly stuff to work with and difficult to get just right.

Loren Perry put a book out on working with PE - he still sells it. Also, Mike Ashely put a book on ship modeling out through the FSM publishing empire. Both of those might be useful to you.

Do you have a folding tool? In my opinion, they are essential for working with photo-etch. The two most popular are the Hold 'n Fold by the Small Shop, and the Etch Mate, made by Mission Models. I have the Etch Mate on my bench at home, and one of the small Hold 'n Folds in my desk at work. Some folks can fold PE without these types of tools, but a ham handed guy like me definitely needs one. I'd seriously recommend you buy one. It makes working with PE much easier. The hardest part for me is still getting the parts glued together without getting the bloody glue everywhere.

I saw your San Franciso over on the Steel Navy forums (not sure if you posted it here too). It looks pretty good, so, as I said, don't be too hard on yourself. Mostly, it takes time and lots of patience - don't get frustrated, just keep trying.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:10 am 

Many thanks for your kind words, I will look into the folding tool for PE, I have posted my San Fran to this site basically (not trying to be harsh) Steve Backer appears to have stopped any of my subjects on the steelnavy site as I posted months ago and heard nothing. The PE is a pain in the backside I must admit, and like you said, it all takes time, thank you for your reply.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 am 

Hi, Alec!
The most important tool in modelling is and always will be Patience.
Espcially when new, it is easy to make mistakes and get frustrated. Als long as you are bending yourself to bend the PE it won't work. For me, even with 8 years experience working with PE there are days it just won't work. Be relaxed, control your breathing. Try to do each step at a time and be clear what your next step will be.
Keep it up! You'll get there eventually!
Guido

Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - H. IBSEN

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8zhb1sc4Pe3BRLqq3d-SQ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 am 

The Small Shop also offers a tool to bend the photo etch. I've used it and it works great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:06 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
easier. The hardest part for me is still getting the parts glued together without getting the bloody glue everywhere.

Oh God, I have glued my fingers together, to the PE, to the model etc... many times while trying to glue PE.

For really small pieces I sometimes just use a tweezers or the back of my #11 blade. I still do not have a bending tool, but it is right at the top of my list.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:04 pm 

I would be glad to share this with you.My first p.e. radar was the one on the U.S.S.NORTH CAROLINA. I used the EDUARD and TOM,S sets.The EDUARD set had the fine mesh backed main radar.The instructions are what I now pass to you.Take a piece of craft foam ,fasten it to a flat surface. Now lay the brass piece on it.Gently begin rolling around a BALL BEARING or wood ball slightly smaller than the circumference of the finished piece on top of your piece of brass.While rolling press lightly.You will see the brass start to take the shape you want.Continue this motion until you have achieved the curve you want.DO NOT HURRY!!After you have achieved the necessary shape, trim if needed, assemble the rest of the antenna and install. commodore4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:14 am 

Thank you commodore4 this is a bit like a blast from the past, although my phototech skills have moved on some what, I still have problems with those dome shaped radar's and the half-round cage that somehow seems so easily put together by everyone else except me LOL.
Thank you for your time. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 am 

Al go to the Hold n' Fold site and they have a tool that will bend PE in half round curves. It consists of a piece with differnt size indentations and rods that fit each indentation. Works real well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:51 am 

I saw the title to this thread, and I thought "finally something I can directly relate to"!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am 

Personally, I find a folding tool a nuisance. I have one but use it mostly for really large 1/35 PE for armor models. In 1/350 and 1/700 with PE being small and sometimes having several folds and bends, a folding tool is slow - having to place the PE, tighten the tool, bend the PE, loosen the tool, reposition the PE for the next bend, tighten the tool...etc. I use a steel ruler for holding down the PE along the fold line, and use a sharp blade to bend up the part. Much faster and just as accurate as an expensive tool. Also, when you have very small or narrow parts to fold, I find the folding tool can't get a good grip on the part.
But, that's just me! :big_grin:
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:21 pm 

I've recently purchased a bending tool from the small shop, and I've a bit mixed feelings. I am able to make better and sharper edges, but as biggles said, it is very time consuming. Currently I'm fitting my San Francisco model with 26 pieces of 20mm Oerlikon 20mm by Master Models and I am going into my third week with this. The main problem is that the parts are not always tight and clamped, so while bending they sometimes tend to move a bit, distorting the part. So now prior to bending I first check if the part is stuck under the tool.

On the other hand, I could not have done it without the bending tool. But the biggles tip about the steel ruler seems very good which I will certainly try :smallsmile:

Another tip from my side is the right set of tweezers. A few years ago I bought this set. Quite expensive, but worth every penny since from then on I was able to assemble far smaller pieces then before. I also use the flat tweezer to make PE bends, this goes quite well in my experience.

Regards,

- Bas :smallsmile:

Finished:
My gallery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:41 am 

I use the R-5. Cheap and fast

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?mai ... Path=77_79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:35 pm 
I use a flat ended stamp collectors tweezers to hold small bits of PE and bend them using a flat blade