The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:00 pm 

Hello there,

I'm attempting to build an Airfix sailing ship model for the very first time. I've completed the hull, superstructure, masts etc and am now faced with the challenge of the rigging.

The instructions tell me to use the plastic frame to string each shroud etc, then to soak them for 24 hours in strong tea, then to use liquid glue and then to fit each shroud to the model. Whilst this sounds straight forward it looks to be horrendous, especially how to fit the shrouds etc to the masts and hull.

I could really do with some tips from somebody who has done this before - I'm quite pleased with progress thus far and am really hooked on this type of model now.

Kind regards

John

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:37 am 

Firstly measure the deadeyes so that you can get the spacing of the shrouds correct on the jig. Check also that the run will be tall enough (allow some leeway here - it's better to cut down the length than lose the work).

Then take a very long run of thread and wrap round the frame so that it it the same pattern on each side.

Check again the spacing to the deadeyes.

Once you are happy the deadeyes are correctly aligned and the part will be tall enough start in one of the top corners and wrap the ratlines all the way down the shrouds. I can't rember the space I used, but I think it was running a thread through every other tooth.

You should at the end of this enoguh for each side of the mast.

After that take a runney black acrylic paint (something life Decoart or Games Workshop will do) and mix in a ratio of about 60% paint, 40% PVA glue. If too thick to paint properly with this brew, dilute with a drop of water.

You can then paint onto the rope work, paying particular attention to where verticals and horizontals cross. Work on a small area at a time and allow to dry this way you'll gradually build up strength in the joins. Ensure that you don't get glue on the frame or you'll have problems later one.

One you've done this for the whole of the outside on each side, cut the parts off the frame, firstly up the sides then at the top and bottom using the sharpest scissors you've got.

You can then touch in the areas that the glue/paint mix didn't reach, using the same paint (this time paint only).

This will work fine but may take a couple of practice attempts. I suggest to try with the narrower shrouds that fit higher in the masts before the large ones
off the hull sides.

Good luck with this and I hope this helps. PM me if I can help further,

Cheers,

Rob

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:02 am 

Dear Rob, I really am most grateful for the advice. There are some real gems in there - the idea of mixing the paint and glue would have never occurred to me for instance! I can't wait to finish at work so I can give this a go. Once again I an very, very grateful. Kindest regards, John

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:17 am 

Jhsklt wrote:
Dear Rob, I really am most grateful for the advice. There are some real gems in there - the idea of mixing the paint and glue would have never occurred to me for instance! I can't wait to finish at work so I can give this a go. Once again I an very, very grateful. Kindest regards, John

My pleasure. Always nice to see sailing ships being built.

All the best,

Rob

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:17 pm 
I'd suggest riggin the shrouds in situ. That way you have a lot more control over the tension and you can adjust as you go along. I have never been able to get the Heller/Airfix jig to work properly. If you o decide to rig in situ, you may have to put together a simple wire jig to hold the upper and lower deadeyes at an equal distance. At 1/130 even a bent paperclip might serve (stuffed through the lanyard holes in the deadeyes whilst you rig the shrouds.)

Enjoy- I prefer the Academy cutt sark to Airfix's version in terms of 'build-a-bility', but the airfix kit is still a very accurate representation.

will

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:53 pm 
Hi,

Don't know if you're up to this but I find that hand tying the best method, I did the Revell Cutty Sark like this, and plan on using the same method for the ImaI CS. You can see pictures in the albumm linked below.

http://news.webshots.com/album/208514027pzrDjh

Jake

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:09 am 

I came across an interesting article about building the Revell Cutty Sark in Fine Scale Modeler July 2005 issue. It might be of some help to you.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:50 am 

jbgroby wrote:
Hi,

Don't know if you're up to this but I find that hand tying the best method, I did the Revell Cutty Sark like this, and plan on using the same method for the ImaI CS. You can see pictures in the albumm linked below.

http://news.webshots.com/album/208514027pzrDjh

Jake

Great pics of the CS! Can you advise what is that Muntz Metal you used for the hull? I have 3 Constitutions on the shelf that could benefit from that!

Thanks!