The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:39 pm 
domi13 wrote:
Hi Branniff92,

Braniff92@gmail.com wrote:
I'm well into my conversion project on the Gallery Intrepid to CVA-12 in her 1957 fit. I'm having no luck in finding any data or photos of deck winches visible either on the galleys or inside the hangar bay. Additionally, trying to get better pics for the hangar bay, placement of acft drop tank hangers, etc. Anyone know of any places I could locate photos to help in my project? Thanks.

Have you seen these ones?
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/h ... s.369852p/
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/h ... s.369850p/

Regards,
domi13

Thanks my friend. I've seen those two. Just can't find good pics to give me a good idea of the exact layout throughout the hangar bay. Can't locate how many acft drop tank hangars existed and where they were actually located. When I volunteered on Hornet I took alot of pics of the hangar bay but can't locate the damned negatives. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:10 am 

Hi Branniff92,

You ask for the 'layout' of the main deck, I suppose you already have found exactly that, even for CV-12 Hornet: https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/plans/cv12.pdf

The 'Main Deck' (third plan fom the top) or the hangar deck shows rather exactly what equipment is located where on that deck. Except for the aircraft and vehicles of course. I guess the date of these plans is sometime in the seventies or eighties.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 4:48 pm 
Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Hi Branniff92,

You ask for the 'layout' of the main deck, I suppose you already have found exactly that, even for CV-12 Hornet: https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/plans/cv12.pdf

The 'Main Deck' (third plan fom the top) or the hangar deck shows rather exactly what equipment is located where on that deck. Except for the aircraft and vehicles of course. I guess the date of these plans is sometime in the seventies or eighties.

Thanks my friend. I did have these but until your post I hadn't figured out how to enlarge each section enough so I could read the small print. I've finally figured it out and have what I need. Thanks for nudging me enough to find what I needed.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:22 am 

Guest wrote:
Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Hi Branniff92,

Thanks my friend. I did have these but until your post I hadn't figured out how to enlarge each section enough so I could read the small print. I've finally figured it out and have what I need. Thanks for nudging me enough to find what I needed.

You're most welcome! Glad that it helped you figuring it out.
And be sure, if there are other questions coming up (they will, I'm sure) just ask. We might be here to help you find the answers.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 11:05 am 

Good Memorial Day Weekend all. I'm trying to verify exactly what was located in Hornet's Stern 3"/50 cal twin mounts director tub on her stern gun sponson. The schematics are for a later time frame after this sponson was removed. Was it a Mk 56 director but with the radar dish located on top of the left side 3"/50 cal? Was it a different type of director? Was it a searchlight and if so any idea what size? As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
File comment: 1957 Hornet Stern Gun sponson/director tub
img433.jpg
img433.jpg [ 2.98 MiB | Viewed 25035 times ]
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 pm 

Good Memorial Day Weekend all. I'm trying to verify exactly what was located in Hornet's Stern 3"/50 cal twin mounts director tub on her stern gun sponson. The schematics are for a later time frame after this sponson was removed. Was it a Mk 56 director but with the radar dish located on top of the left side 3"/50 cal? Was it a different type of director? Was it a searchlight and if so any idea what size? As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a scan from the cruise book............

Attachments:
File comment: From the cruise book
IMG_2570lightened.jpg
IMG_2570lightened.jpg [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 25027 times ]
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:38 pm 

Looks like the Mark 63 Fire Control System, where the director/gunsight is the Mark 29 and the radar antenna is located on the 3"/50 mounting. Details here: https://eugeneleeslover.com/USNAVY/CHAPTER-26-D.html

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Looks like the Mark 63 Fire Control System, where the director/gunsight is the Mark 29 and the radar antenna is located on the 3"/50 mounting. Details here: https://eugeneleeslover.com/USNAVY/CHAPTER-26-D.html

Simply amazing the knowledge found here. You guys are wonderful!! Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:26 pm 

Now that it looks like it's been verified that I need a Mk 29 Gun director for my 1/350 Hornet conversion for the stern 3"/50 call twins mounts gun director is anyone aware of such a thing available in 1/350th scale? I've just been searching for awhile and see none. Plenty of mk 56 for the 3"/50 cal twin mounts but nothing for the Mk 29. Any 1/350th kits include them????? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:24 pm 

Now that it looks like it's been verified that I need a Mk 29 Gun director for my 1/350 Hornet conversion for the stern 3"/50 call twins mounts gun director is anyone aware of such a thing available in 1/350th scale? I've just been searching for awhile and see none. Plenty of mk 56 for the 3"/50 cal twin mounts but nothing for the Mk 29. Any 1/350th kits include them????? Thanks.

Thanks for biting the bullet Braniff92!
You're having exactly the same question as I have for the Kearsarge in 1952/53:
Attachment:
023323.jpg
023323.jpg [ 191.95 KiB | Viewed 25019 times ]

So far I can only think of scratch building the Mk 29 in a separate tub and the radar antenna on top of the gun mount. I will need two set of these, both at the bow and at the stern platforms.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 3:29 pm 

You might be able to make a rough facsimile by modifying a Mk. 51 director, such as this set from L'Arsenal, especially if it comes with separate PE "arms" that you can rotate to a lower position to more accurately reflect the Mk. 29's appearance.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:41 pm 

One might consider dropping our various 3D Printer vendors a line - the Mk 63 was a system that came out in 1945 and there were more than a couple of ships that had it before war's end - from memory at least CV-16 and CV-18 did.

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/Misc/Mk63GFC/

I have some good photos of the radar mounted on a quad 40 MM.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:58 pm 

Actually, the Mk 63 GFCS went through several "director mods", which were only part of the total system, including a "pointing/tracking" director and a ranging/tracking Mk 34 radar (same radar/antenna on the Mk 56) installed on the 40-mm or 3-in/50 RFG mounts. Initially in 1945, the Mk 63 GFCS used a modified Mk 51 Mod 6 director (with the Mk 15 gunsight). The gunsight was modified and improved and then designated as the "Computing Sight Mark 29". The system was considered to be obsolete post-war, but used where Mk 56 GFCS couldn't be utilized post-WWII. But, a succession of improved/upgraded directors were installed on ships in an attempt to overcome the performance short-comings against modern faster jet aircraft.

A scale Mk 51 director can be modified with an additional "box" atop the director as seen in image Timmy posted to visually appear as the Mk 29. The Mk 34 (in 1950's reclassified as AN/SPG-34) radar antenna was 3-ft in diameter.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:12 pm 

These are the best pics I could find of the guns. HTH's.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:58 am 

WOW! Thanks so much to you guys. The help from you all is so appreciated. This is the most technical and exhaustive conversion I've ever done (I thought my conversion of a BWN 1/350 Gearing Class to DD 731 (USS Maddox) in her 58 fit was intense) but this project easily out-does that. Your help is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:58 pm 

I've spent hours on-line searching trying to find the trailers/dolleys Essex Class ships boats were set on. NO JOY!!!!!! also, can't find any 3"/50 Cal ready ammo lockers. Anyone know of any that I haven't been able to find?????? Also, I know I've seen a photo somewhere of the Hornet's personnel boats stored in Hangar Bay 3 but now I can't find the damned picture. Anyone know where I could find them? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:31 pm 

These photos show parts of boat dollies aboard LPH's, which overlapped with the postwar Essex class.

1. < Boat dollies in background aboard USS Guadalcanal (LPH 7) >

2. Boat dollies in background aboard USS Iwo Jima (LPH 2).

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

Last edited by Michael Potter on Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:07 am 

Damned mangey MUTTs... :heh:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:22 am 

Well, hopefully your retirement won't / didn;t involve getting sawed in half!

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:53 am 

(For reference, the jeeps in the hangar are M151A2s, often called MUTT for "Military Utility Tactical Truck") and the de-militarization process for them before being surplussed was to have then cut in half. Some enterprising enthusiasts bought the pieces and welded them back together so there are historic examples running around today)

Good luck with your procedure David.

-Barbara Tuchman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next