The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:35 pm 

gonavy.jp is a site that should be able to answer your question about how many there were... The first link is to the USS Intrepid CV-11 deployment page. Just scroll down for the 1967 cruise info. Once there, click the "Bu No." link at the bottom of the Squadron info for the cruise. Or the second link will take you to the Bu No. info...

Hope this helps

Thomas

http://gonavy.jp/CV-CV11f.html

http://gonavy.jp/CVW10-AK1967.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:23 pm 

Thanks Thomas. Amazing what information is out there - thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Follow up question: Did she have ALL three of those A-4s squadrons on board at the same time? Not that I'm going to try and do that many planes, I'm more curious than anything else.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:48 pm 

Hi Martin,

She did carry all of the aircraft listed. I am speculating that there would have been another Carrier on station with her at that time with a full airwing of fighters for self defense. The Essex Class Carriers in the late 60's carried almost the same airwing as the big Fleet Carriers. They had F-8's vs. Phantoms on the big decks.

Good Luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:02 pm 

Thanks Mark. This era is outside my "zone", so I wasn't sure. Too bad someone doesn't do decals for all the planes, as I'd invest in some L'Arsenal A-4s to round out the air wing. I was aware that the Essex class didn't carry the Phantom, and that Intrepid had one on board earlier in the decade for trials.

One more question! I follow the Yorktown Museum on FB. Was curious - why did some of the class have smaller island numbers (like Yorktown) and some have larger (like Intrepid)?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:10 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
One more question! I follow the Yorktown Museum on FB. Was curious - why did some of the class have smaller island numbers (like Yorktown) and some have larger (like Intrepid)?

Hmmmmm..

I never noticed that. Good question. I shall endeavor to find out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:32 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Korean War-era Essex islands for your straight-deck Essex class kits in 1/350 are available now. First designs are USS Ticonderoga and USS Oriskany, both as they appeared in 1954.

See:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=162262

Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-350 USS Ticonderoga island 1954.a.png
Model Monkey 1-350 USS Ticonderoga island 1954.a.png [ 197.52 KiB | Viewed 3014 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 USS Ticonderoga island 1954.b.png
Model Monkey 1-350 USS Ticonderoga island 1954.b.png [ 196.66 KiB | Viewed 3014 times ]
Model Monkey 1-350 USS Oriskany island 1954.g.png
Model Monkey 1-350 USS Oriskany island 1954.g.png [ 197.28 KiB | Viewed 3014 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:34 pm 

Looks great Steve.. Now if Nautilus gets the SCB-27 deck back in production and someone make the escalator we have the makings of piece of history.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:20 am 

Hi all there! I'm kitbashing a hasegawa Hancock into uss tarawa cvs40, and I have some problems with 20mm sponsons at the edges of flight deck. ..does anyone here has two good photos for each side of the ship as she appeared in 1957-58?
Thank you! :smallsmile: :wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:41 pm 

Here you go

Attachments:
CVA 19.jpg
CVA 19.jpg [ 121.68 KiB | Viewed 2882 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:27 pm 

sorry here is a good photo of the TAWARA. If you need more photo I suggest you get Ray Beans DVD 143 which covers all the Essex class carriers that did not get the angle deck. It has several photos of the TAWARA, along with Princeton and Philippine Sea all these has basically the same configuration as CVS (Carrier ASW). Good luck.

Attachments:
uss tawara.jpg
uss tawara.jpg [ 139.38 KiB | Viewed 2838 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:40 am 

just a small question: among all those models in 1:700, does someone intend to reproduce a post-war modernized essex?
Maybe dragon?
thank you :heh:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:59 pm 

matteo reich wrote:
just a small question: among all those models in 1:700, does someone intend to reproduce a post-war modernized essex?
Maybe dragon?
thank you :heh:

You could buy the Dragon 1/700 Boxer or Bonhomme Richard post-war Essex class kits and then order the 3D-printed modernized bridges from Model Monkey in order to make other sisters in the class.

Making the hurricane bow will require some scratch-building though.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:19 am 

I didn't realize that Modelmonkey had made this available already. Just ordered mine for my Hasegawa
Ticonderoga. Thanks for the info.

Jack Ray

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:09 am 

yeah I know that maybe this is the best solution, but I also have to add the bulges, and this require major rebuilding of the hull details...it's tedious :big_grin: so I was wondering if someone programmed to make one in 1:700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:06 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Thanks, fellas!

Modernized island designs, each one unique, completed for specific ships so far include:

USS Essex CV-9 (1951)
USS Yorktown CV-10 (1953)
USS Intrepid CVS-11 (1967)*
USS Hornet CV-12 (1954)
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 (1954)
USS Ticonderoga CVA-14 (1967)*
USS Randolph CV-15 (1953)
USS Lexington CVT-16 (1993)
USS Wasp CV-18 (1953)
USS Kearsarge CV-33 (1953)
USS Oriskany CV-34 (1954)
USS Oriskany CVA-34 (1974)*
USS Shangri La CVA-38 (1968)*
USS Lake Champlain CV-39 (1953)

Link: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Monkey

* The Korean War-era SCB-27 islands are presently available in all popular scales 1/700 and larger. Vietnam-era islands are not available in 1/700, only in scales larger than 1/700 (bridge and PryFly window framing are too fine to print in 1/700).

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:33 am 

matteo reich wrote:
yeah I know that maybe this is the best solution, but I also have to add the bulges, and this require major rebuilding of the hull details...it's tedious :big_grin: so I was wondering if someone programmed to make one in 1:700

I have the same desire for a good 1:700 kit of a modernized ship...but the challenge then becomes "which one do you represent in the kit." Depending on how you classify them, there were four or five or more substantial sub-groups within the SCB-125/125A (angled deck/enclosed bow) ships, and even within those subgroups there were so many differences between ships that I'm constantly becoming aware of, and I've been studying these ships close to 30 years. The detective work Steve has done designing the 3-D-printed islands for these ships has made me aware of even more substantial differences, and it's added more moments of "hmmm...." to things I thought I'd figured out with certainty long ago.

The discussions about the MRC/Gallery Intrepid kit in 1:350 would carry over to 1:700 - by committing to one unit in a specific configuration, you take out the possibility of other ships whose configurations had moderate/substantial differences. Short of a huge modularized tool with interchangeable bow enclosures, different flight decks, etc., and various sponsons and outriggers that were flush-fit to the hull sides, I'm not sure how that would get done in an affordable injection-molded kit.

Jodie Peeler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:16 pm 

jpeeler wrote:
The discussions about the MRC/Gallery Intrepid kit in 1:350 would carry over to 1:700 - by committing to one unit in a specific configuration, you take out the possibility of other ships whose configurations had moderate/substantial differences. Short of a huge modularized tool with interchangeable bow enclosures, different flight decks, etc., and various sponsons and outriggers that were flush-fit to the hull sides, I'm not sure how that would get done in an affordable injection-molded kit.

The way Gallery designed the hull - outside of the bow enclosure - seems to lend itself to other ships, IF they retooled the bow. All of the sponsons on the hull are separate parts.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:40 pm 

Steve your Island are simply outstanding, I have plans on getting two for my 1/350 builds.
Question, now we still have the old 1/540 kits, with new islands, Star fighters has the correction parts for the hull. Now with all the issues of being a correct angle deck configuration. Would making a correct SCB-27A be possible with removal of enclosed bow and making an axial deck instead of the angle deck. I think this would be a unique build in 1/500ish and a chance to work out the kinks before trying this in 1/350?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:00 pm 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Steve your Island are simply outstanding, I have plans on getting two for my 1/350 builds.
Question, now we still have the old 1/540 kits, with new islands, Star fighters has the correction parts for the hull. Now with all the issues of being a correct angle deck configuration. Would making a correct SCB-27A be possible with removal of enclosed bow and making an axial deck instead of the angle deck. I think this would be a unique build in 1/500ish and a chance to work out the kinks before trying this in 1/350?

Within the coming months I will do that very project with the 1:540 Revell kit as my base kit and Steve's 1953 Yorktown island. Stay tuned.

MartinJQuinn wrote:
The way Gallery designed the hull - outside of the bow enclosure - seems to lend itself to other ships, IF they retooled the bow. All of the sponsons on the hull are separate parts.

I noted that when I took delivery of my Gallery kit and the possibilities are indeed intriguing. If you could solve the bow situation and the forefoot for the non-sonar units (for the folks who want full-hull models), the hull would be a blank slate for whatever could be tooled up.

Jodie Peeler

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:15 pm 

Good day,
On Axial Deck Essex Class when they were reclassified to ASW Carriers and LPH's. What was the Air wing made of. Finally I know a lot of these ships transported Aircraft. Found a photo of the Valley forge with A-4 and Couple of whales. Did any of the Axial deck ship embark the A-3 or E-1b on them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 44  Next