The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:28 pm 

Tracy:

I've been wondering why there is so much variability in the starboard side of the SCB-125 ships. For example, the location of the elevator and the ramps to it on CV11 is so much further aft as opposed to CV16. Is this an SCB27C artifact which was not passed on to the ships that went straight from mothballs to SCB125 (like Lexington)?

Moderator (Timmy C) note: This thread was split from the previous "Calling all Essex Class Carrier Fans" thread on June 7, 2012. As such some things in here may seem incongruous or contain odd references. If you are looking for things pertaining to the Essexes during the grey period of post-Sept. 1945 through to the Korean War, it may be worth your while to check both this thread and the other Calling all WWII Essex-class Carrier Fans thread. For example, some Korean War photos used for demonstrating the hull shape can be found at the bottom of this page: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4802&start=480

-- "A Nation at Risk" (1983)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:18 pm 

Post war Essexes aren't my thing (yet?????)

But what I've read suggests that the earlier placement of the elevator caused problems and that the later conversions had it further forward where it was less of an impediment.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:26 pm 

Yeah. looking through the AOTS plans for an earlier post, I had an "aha" about why Intrepid & Oriskany have their starboard elevator so far aft.

There's still the unexpected variability in the starboard quarter five-inch gun gallery. The last SCB-125s (CV 14,16,19,31,38) have a symmetry which reminds me of the Yorktown CV 5 class. On the others, these guns pop up in unexpected locations.

I think that from a strategic standpoint, during their lives the SCB 125 carriers were the most important ships afloat. Whether in the Eastern Med or The Baltic, they were "in your face" to the bad guy in a way no supercarrier ever could.

Essex in the Kiel Canal is only one example that those who were there will never forget.

-- "A Nation at Risk" (1983)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:32 pm 

I think the class was one of the most significant of the last century, if not the most.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:53 pm 

Hey guys...

I just posted this over in the Oriskany thread in the Main Forum, but I thought I'd throw a link in here as well, in case anyone is interested.

ISW has come up with a conversion kit for the Trumpeter 1/350 Essex to the SCB27A modernization.

http://www.commanderseries.com/pages/Essex.html

I've always liked the Essex's with the new island, but still the straight line deck. I thought some other people might as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:28 pm 

Tracy (or anyone, really),

With the demise of the Model Master Marine line, I'd like to get some paint for my 51-52 Oriskany, but I'm not sure what gray I need.

Watching Bridges at Toko Ri, it almost looks like the O is painted in 1941 5-H Haze Gray. It seems darker than the 1943 5-L Light Gray.

I know you are a WW2 Essex man, but I thought you might be able to shed some light!

Thanks

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:49 pm 

I think I just answered my own question.....

de220.com says the navy adopted an overall Haze Gray 5-H in 1950 - 52.

I should have kept looking before I posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:16 pm 

Nice pics, Steve!

Any pics like that of Oriskany?

I have Commander's Series Essex conversion and Trumpy's Tico in the stash, and wanted to build Mighty O as she appeared in Bridges of Toko Ri.

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:37 pm 

Hi,

I just ordered the DML Korean War CV-31. I have scanned this thread, but have not seen any reference to flight deck color during that period. In "The Bridges at Toko-Ri" it seems dark brown with yellow markings. Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

V/R,

Jack Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:25 pm 

Deck Blue, badly worn-down as during WWII
http://www.steelnavy.com/EssexKWWarneke.htm
http://www.steelnavy.com/PrincetonCV37TKauffman.htm

-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject: SCB 27C
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:59 pm 

I know the majority of posters in this topic are modeling WWII configurations, but I wondered if anyone has done a SCB 27C conversion.

I'm just starting a 1/700 USS Intrepid to match the configuration when my Dad was on board (1954-55). This would be the axial deck version, with the starboard aft elevator. In conjunction with the Intrepid, I am also working the 1/700 Nimitz to match when I was on board (1976-79).

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's tales of conversions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:09 pm 

I had started a separate post in another place on the fourm, but someone reminded me to try here as well. Here's my story in a nutshell:
A former co-worker who I am friends with served on the USS Wasp CV-18 around the mid 70s. I had wanted to build up a model for him, but it would seem my only option is the Revell Essex-class in 1/540. That wouldn't be a problem for me, but the kits go for a considerable sum of money on eBay (usually in the range of $50+). I would really have preferred an alternate plan, but I don't have one. Anybody have any other options for me? I guess it's the Revell kit or scratchbuilding. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

John

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:34 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

jgrease wrote:
I guess it's the Revell kit or scratchbuilding. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. John

Keep watching eBay for a good deal. The Revell kit is actually quite good despite its age. It has been built into some real show-stoppers with a little tender loving care and GMM makes a great PE set for it.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:50 am 
hello there,

i have got the plans from the floating drydock of the intrepid dated 1969,which is ok. but i want to build one in early 1950,they have plans for the SHANGRI-LA and the PRINCETON and the boxer for 1950-1951 just wanting to know which out the the 3 would be a good set to get??for the 1950s,i have the anatomy of the ship series book and the warships data for uss intrepid for reference .so with that what would be the best set to buy?maybe tracey can help me on this?

cheers matt :big_grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:17 am 

Quote:
but i want to build one in early 1950

If you want to build one that has gone through SCB-27A conversion, then you need the CV-33 Kearsarge plans.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 pm 
hi,
i think i found a good set from the floating drydock of this carrier,uss antietam cvs36,good for the period i want,i dont like the new smokestack on some of the essex class after refit in the late 50s that angle.i like the original when built,seems like the antietam didnt have that by looking on navsource,cheers

Post subject: Not off-topic at all...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:45 pm 

Can anyone tell me if the post-refit carriers in the Essex class have enclosed sides on the flight-deck catwalks or are they open railing? I am working on USS Wasp in her late-60's appearance. It is hard to tell from photos, but there are open railings on the starboard side of the island, but what about the catwalks surrounding the flight deck? Anyone?

Post subject: cv21 uss boxer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:20 pm 
hi,

i got some plans for the uss boxer from the floating drydock,they are dated 1954 and they look great so i will be building that,with the intrepid book by john roberts book i have should be good,cheers :jump_1:

cheers matt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:42 pm 

From another thread, a Revell 1/540 USS Wasp I am building for a co-worker who served. This is the latest shot of the flight deck area. I got this as a built kit, disassembled it and then began to rebuild it as close to references as possible.
I've made good use of Gold Medal Models' PE set for Forrestal/Essex/Midway class carriers - lots of goodies to dress up this old kit. Also, the deck markings are the Starfighter Decals' Wasp set. Comments and observations are welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:34 pm 
Has anybody bought the ISW Korean War conversion set for the Trumpeter kit?How is it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 892 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45  Next