The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:21 pm 

tko24 wrote:
Has anybody bought the ISW Korean War conversion set for the Trumpeter kit?How is it?

A guy in my local IPMS club built an Essex using the conversion. He liked it. Here's a picture of the finished product, taken at our spring show, MosquitoCon:

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:32 pm 

I need a complete list of the radars carried on Oriskany's Island in 1968. This is what I have so far-

SR-A
AN/SPN-6
URN-3
SGB-6
AN/SPS-6B
AN/SPS-8
YE homing beacon

Any additions/corrections for this list?

http://nssavannah.wordpress.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:03 am 

While we're on the subject, are there any reference books on post-WWII Essex-class carriers? Like Kidcurrie, I have the Dragon BHR kit and am anticipating an Antietam under the tree. I also have a couple of Revell 1/542 kits in the garage. I've found limited photos on the web, so I'm willing to pay for better stuff. Anything out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 am 

Raven's "Essex Class Carriers" has *SOME* stuff but probably not enough of what you're looking for. However, unless you want to look for individual ship histories or crui$e book$ it's your best place to start.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:48 pm 

Check out this conversion:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd16 ... 0012_4.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd16 ... 0_0013.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd16 ... 0010_4.jpg

The Gent who posted his pictures - Hans Pennell - on SN said that it's "made from the Trumpeter model, with parts from ISW, and a lot of scratch building, about 95% done."

I'm not much for post war ships - but that is a seriously nice piece of model art.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:55 am 

For all you 1/350 Essex conversion that's a beaut. Wonder if Trumpter looks at this website :thinking:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:37 pm 

How were the hull blisters mounted on the SCB-125 Essex conversion, specifically Oriskany? Was she any different from the other ships?

Here's what I have so far:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:21 pm 

Avery Boyer wrote:
How were the hull blisters mounted on the SCB-125 Essex conversion, specifically Oriskany? Was she any different from the other ships?

Here's what I have so far:

Avery, as far as l can tell hull blisters were uniform for all vessels in the SCB27 and SCB125 programs.

It appears that the SCB27A program had blisters about three or four feet wide and l think they started a little further forward, about where the fo'c'sle deck drops down to the hanger deck, the aft end looks about right.

The three SCB27C with out angled flight deck had the same SCB27A blister but it appears to have been swaged outwards locally around the port side escalator housing that was fitted in that program, escalators were fitted to SCB27C and SCB125 rebuilds but not the SCB27A rebuilds.

These three carriers are also unique in that they had the aft elevator #3 moved to the port side, ie they had the elevator fit of the later SCB125s but not the angled flight deck of that program, these elevators were also considerably further back than the other vessels and the plane handling crane and its sponson was mounted in front of the elevator, later vessels had the crane and sponson mounted aft of the elevator. Those three unique vessels were CV11, 14, 19 and differed from the rest, even when they finally received there SCB125 refit.

Last comes the full SCB125 refit which interests you, its basically the SCB27 sponson width but extra platforms canter levered around areas that encroached on that narrow deck, the escalator is one and l think there was a refueling station there too.

The blisters are welded construction so where the lap plate side sheets change to smooth is where the blister starts and ends and it is a smooth transition, not bulged like an armoured belt would be, if that makes sense ?.

Best

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:32 pm 

Thank you, that answers my question. I had deduced that the blister started somewhat farther forward, it was the stern I was having trouble with. I know that the blisters were faired almost seamlessly into the existing hull.

I have decided to do an article on building this ship because finding information (cheaply) has been a nightmare, particularly when it comes to Oriskany. I want to make it easy for other people, because no one should have to do what I'm doing :censored_2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:09 pm 

Look on Navsource's CV-16 page and you'll see some photos of CV-16 bing widened that I sent in. I think it's wrong to call it blistering personally.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:13 pm 

Avery Boyer wrote:
I have decided to do an article on building this ship because finding information (cheaply) has been a nightmare, particularly when it comes to Oriskany. I want to make it easy for other people, because no one should have to do what I'm doing :censored_2:

Excellent, the post war Essex class seem almost to not exist, its as if they ceased to function after 1946, granted there need was not as great as WWII but there lives were just begining and many went on for decades under different guises and rebuilds.

Theres a good set of SCB125 drawings for Oriskany in the Warship Design Historys book called Essex-Class Carriers, one of the few books l have that does touch there post war history a little bit.

Theres probably even less information on there Korea period than Vietnam period l'm afraid to say.

Best

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:24 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Look on Navsource's CV-16 page and you'll see some photos of CV-16 bing widened that I sent in. I think it's wrong to call it blistering personally.

I believe the extensions were not even each side either ?, four feet on the port side where most of the weight was added and three feet on the starboard side is what l've read somewhere, still with in the width required to transit the Panama canal which as a safe bet is 100 feet, though some modern container ships push this to 105 feet, I think the actual locks are 110 feet wide ?.

Best

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:02 pm 

Can anyone tell me the correct colors for CV-31 BHR for its' Korean War deployment? I'm prepping to build the Dragon kit and I'd like it to look at least kinda correct. I'm sure we've been down this road already - if so just point me in the right direction. Thanks as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:58 pm 

She should be haze gray (and under way!) for vertical surfaces, deck gray for metal horizontal surfaces other than the flight deck, which should be a dark wood/deck blue color.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:03 am 

Boxer is the Korean version l'm planning, interesting to see some new images on that page, especially the one that shows the additional Quad tubs fitted to the Starboard side, which to date my records show were never fitted ?. Generally where fitted they remained in situ for the rest of the carriers life, more so the additional ones added to the Port catwalk, the Quad refit for a long hull was an additional seven tubs, three below the bridge, two aft at hanger deck level starboard side and two aft port side at catwalk level.

Even under SCB27 refits the two on the port side remained, the ones on the starboard side were removed, in fact the starboard side ones were also removed for Panama transit's as they impacted the lock walls. Later pictures of Boxer show no port side catwalk tubs, were they fitted when the others were, and also removed when the others were ?, if so that make it the only carrier to do so, but then I thought Boxer never had the extra seven Quad tubs fitted in the first place, or ?, the picture isnt Boxer.

Back to the vents, they seem to be fitted during 1945 refits, Ticonderoga was built without but then only had the two each side of the elevator added in 45 and the rest came later, Shangri La wasnt fitted with them in Dazzle and I've no images post 44 that show the port side effectively to prove that she did have them or how many l'm afraid.

Best

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:28 pm 

I found this pic on the internet and was wondering if anyone could place the date:
It would appear that the starboard AA guns have been removed, or am I just not looking right? I'm hitting the ground running on this project and I want to be somewhat accurate for the Korean-era version. Any and all input is sorely appreciated!!! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:30 am 

From what I can tell in the picture it looks like only the two aft, hangar level, starboard side 40mm guns have been removed from their tubs. Looks like all others are still in place. Nice pic btw!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:23 pm 

:help_1: I am looking to build the USS Boxer CV-21 in 1/700 scale...
I want to do her in 1950 when my father was on her (USMC Det.)
What would be a good starting point for a kit??
I do have a trumpeter USS essex and trumpter USS Hancock.... would they be ok, or is there a better choice?
I know Boxer was long hull and didn't receive all of the AA fit of the Essex class... what else should I know and any help in radar fits armament fit would be most helpfull.
Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 pm 

Boxer in 1950 was pre SCB27 so essentially a WWII carrier, she didnt receive the extra seven Quads, though there is an image at nav source showing at least five starboard side added, but later images show them removed, its an odd image, generally all seven extra tubs were fitted and then only the five starboard removed, leaving the two aft port ones for the rest of there lives, yet Boxer never had two aft ones, thus making it a: the only carrier to have only five added on the starboard side, b: the only carrier to have all seven removed, or c: the image isnt Boxer.

Not sure on Radar fit, l'm just working through that right now actually, boxer is my Korean virtual project, shangri La is the WWII 44 project and Oriskany the Vietnam SCB125 project. Boxer did have the flag bridge and plot bridge decks windowed in so that will have to be added for Korean models, I think she retained her full WWII armament ( negating the Quad 40 conundrum above ), she was also retro fitted with the deck two vent ducts along the port side. I'll see if I can dig some more info out later.

Hancock will probably be the best base model I would think, its a long hull, had twin bow Quad tubs and twin stern I believe, Tracy may be able to expand and help more on which base model is best though.

Hope that helps

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:06 pm 

This was posted in the main forum - thought I'd add it here too:

opspec wrote:
Does anyone have information about the correct flight deck coloration for an Essex class LPH from the late 1950's thru the 1960's; blue flight deck stain, deck gray, or non-skid gray?

Ship Model Gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next