The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:51 pm 

The part folds up and around the solid rectangular piece at the bottom to form a three-sided rectangle - the open side would face the bulkhead. This image from Navsource may help a little with orientating it: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/025995h.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 pm 

Timmy, thanks. You replied while I was posting above. I appreciate all the help and will include mention of this ECM being part of the GM photo etch set at my website.

My USS Oriskany website

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:14 pm 

I think here's where the platform piece slots in:

Attachments:
platform.JPG
platform.JPG [ 71.4 KiB | Viewed 2354 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:13 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

:big_grin: Well done, fellas, that is most definitely the correct photo-etch part and should look great on an Essex or Forrestal class model, including these 3D-printed islands, Oriskany and Saratoga.

Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-530 Oriskany CVA-34 Island 1968-1973.jpg
Model Monkey 1-530 Oriskany CVA-34 Island 1968-1973.jpg [ 33.92 KiB | Viewed 2336 times ]
1-542 Saratoga CV-60 Island 1970-1975.jpg
1-542 Saratoga CV-60 Island 1970-1975.jpg [ 36.72 KiB | Viewed 2336 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:45 am 

I've gone through a few of Oriskany's cruise books and so far, this is the best image I've found of the ECM antenna and support. This is from the 1971 book.

To be honest, it really doesn't look anything like the photo etch part from Forrestal to me but with some other parts in the photo etch set, it might be possible for something to work.

Attachments:
ECM-1971.jpg
ECM-1971.jpg [ 241.04 KiB | Viewed 2300 times ]

My USS Oriskany website
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 am 
CV-34 was completed as a SCB-27A ship. Friedman's Illustrated Design History of Aircraft Carriers lists the beam of -27A ships as 101 ft. at the waterline. However, the final beam of Oriskany is listed as 106 ft. So, was she completed in 1950 with a 101 or 106 ft beam? I know CV 34 was unique and just want to confirm the as built dimension. Thanks for any help.

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:16 pm 

Doc wrote:
I need advice please. In order to use the greatly detailed 1/560 scale Oriskany island structure designed by Model Monkey, I'd like to add the ECM boom structure to the box he already includes on the starboard side of the island.

I don't think that boom is on the GM Essex class carrier 1/540 scale photoetch addon. Can anyone suggest what can be used to simulate that boom for the USS Oriskany? This structure was added to the starboard side of the ships island between the 1967 and '69 cruises. It can be seen in a couple of shots from the 1969 cruise book which I'll attach below.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that the Intrepid still sports the same (or very similar) ECM boom.

Here is a photo Montage with Oriskany in the middle, surrounded by Intrepid pics and a couple of PE examples so you can try and piece together something. I would suggest scavenging some various radar parts to get enough girders and rails. It's interesting that the Tetra set has a walkway grating on the bottom and top, and the kit doesn't have either. From photos, I think it should only be on top, so they both got it wrong! :heh:

HTH's!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:45 pm 

Admhawk, thanks so much for the photo montage and suggestions for photoetch parts.

I'm not familiar with either PE set you mentioned. Can you please elaborate on what kit or part names I need to find them doing a search?

Thanks again,

Gene

My USS Oriskany website

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:06 pm 

Gene, the tetra set is for the 1/350 gallery kit of intrepid. I included the pics to show what the pe would look like, but you will have to use a mishmash of pe parts for your 1/540 oriskany as I don't believe an exact match exists. Darren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:19 pm 

Admhawk wrote:
Gene, the tetra set is for the 1/350 gallery kit of intrepid. I included the pics to show what the pe would look like, but you will have to use a mishmash of pe parts for your 1/540 oriskany as I don't believe an exact match exists. Darren

Ah, got it. Thanks again for the help Darren.

My USS Oriskany website

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 pm 

So I know the difference between long hull and short hull is the extended "clipper" type bow & shorter flight deck. When I look at pictures of USS Intrepid after the SCB 27 refit, the hull looks very similar to the long hull version, even though Intrepid is a short hull Essex. Were the short hulls extended at the bow during the SCB 27C refit?

Thanks!

1/350 Uss Nimitz (1976 Med Cruise)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:24 pm 

Seabee Mike wrote:
So I know the difference between long hull and short hull is the extended "clipper" type bow & shorter flight deck. When I look at pictures of USS Intrepid after the SCB 27 refit, the hull looks very similar to the long hull version, even though Intrepid is a short hull Essex. Were the short hulls extended at the bow during the SCB 27C refit?

Thanks!

Yes, plus the 3" twin tubs are bigger than the 40mm quad tubs, so they project out even further. Basically, there's no difference in hull length between the former "short hull" and "long hull" vessels after SCB-27.

Note: the shortened flight deck only applies early on to Ticonderoga and Hancock (and maybe Randolph during construction but before completion) All subsequent long hulls had a full-length flight deck. and the short ones eventually got lengthened - Tico during WWII (bow first, stern later), and Hancock during SCB-27 refit: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/021973.jpg )

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:16 pm 

DavidP wrote:
more then likely bow was redone during repairs from april 16 1945 kamikaze hit. this picture shows 2 empty quad 40mm tubs http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/021129.jpg during may-nov 1955 period.
None of the "short hulls" had the bow form changed during WW-II. Intrepid had hers lengthened as part of SCB-27C. Note that the tubs themselves project further forward than the short section between them. That feature was only seen with the twin 3" tubs - all bow 40MM tubs on the "long hull" Essex's projected no further than the center piece. The first "long hulls" were built with the short deck. Only Tico and Hancock commissioned that way. Shangri-La launched with the short deck, and most likely Randolph did as well, but neither went to war that way. Tico had her deck lengthened during the war. Hancock lost the cutout aft of the forward port side 5" tubs, but retained the short deck until modernized in the '50's. All of the SCB-27A's had two twin 3" mounts on the bow, including all of the former "short hulls". The first three of the SCB-27C's had them fitted, but Tico and Intrepid had the bow mounts removed to save weight prior to recommissioning. Your Intrepid photo shows those vacant 3" tubs (not 40MM tubs).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:36 pm 

For those of you wondering about the Model Monkey islands, here's the 1953 Yorktown and 1968 Yorktown islands for the Revell kit. (The 1953 island has had some UV time, while the 1968 island just arrived the other day, hence the tonal difference in the two.) I've temporarily mounted the radome on the 1968 island. I'm very happy with both islands and enthusiastically recommend them, as well as anything from Steve's line of parts. (Making things better, I bought the new reissue of the Revell kit today, so I'm all set. Just need the time and enthusiasm....)

Jodie Peeler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:56 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

:big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:50 am 

jpeeler wrote:
Just need the time and enthusiasm....

The modelers lament...

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:04 pm 

Hello,

My question is about the width of the island of Essex class carriers post SCB 27 or 125.
I am talking of the core of the island, not of the overall width including the catwalks.

I suppose it is 14 feet wide.

But the area of the island around the smokestack is narrower than the rest of the island.
It is the area above the platform between the 09 level and the 010 level and behind frame 96.
In that area, if I take the GA plans for granted, the width could be 12 feet.

Does anybody have more information about those widths?

Best regards,

Dominique

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:20 am 

Here is an over view to show which width I am looking for
It is a detail of a GA plan of CV-34I bought a few years ago

And a picture of the area:
This is a detail of a CV-12 picture on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/wbaiv/14311796677.
It was taken by Bill Abbott in 2014.
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

And of course:
Merry Christmas for all of you.

domi13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 am 

Hello all

Today I received my Gallery Intrepid 1/350...was getting her at a really good price and hence could not resist any longer :-)
I have quickly inspected the kit and compared it with a Trumpi WWII Essex carrier. The Gallery Intrepid is shorter about 20mm and also the hull, even though a touch whider in total seems not to be what a trumpeter with blisters would be. Also the island, when I take the position of the back Mk.37 as a reference point, seems to be shorter. The back end was shortened during the first upgardes but the length to the pilot house should be the same?
Am I right assuming that one of the kits is simply not 1/350 but either over or under scale?
All in all it seems to be a nice kit but rather simplistic concidering the price that was asked for it when it was first released. The Tetra upgarde package is tempting but it currently costs about twice of what I paid for the ship. Steve's (Model Monkey) bridge update I will get for sure. Steve, ist this upgrade Interpid specific or it it also valid for Tico and Hanna?

cheers
Uwe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:23 pm 

Uwe, there's a bit more in-depth discussion on the overscale/underscale issue in this review thread: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=155695&p=640185&hilit=intrepid+underscale#p640185

There's also some discussion earlier in this CASF thread, which is also summed up on the above review thread in the post by Walter Sonderman, which puts the majority of the blame regarding relative length error on the WWII Essex kit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 44  Next