The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:55 am 

Something I haven't been able to find the answer to:

When Intrepid, Tico, & Hancock got the 27C, the starboard deck edge elevator was located further aft compared to the later 27C/125 given to Lex/Shangri-La/BHR, and all the subsequent 125 conversions. Why was the aft location not repeated in any other ships? Was it found to be inferior or less than optimal for some reason?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm 

ArmchairAdmiral wrote:
When Intrepid, Tico, & Hancock got the 27C, the starboard deck edge elevator was located further aft compared to the later 27C/125 given to Lex/Shangri-La/BHR, and all the subsequent 125 conversions. Why was the aft location not repeated in any other ships? Was it found to be inferior or less than optimal for some reason?

If you look at the Trumpeter and Dragon models that show the hangar interior, you can see just how far aft the structure beneath the island and 5" mounts extended. On the SCB-27A's, the new 5" singles were placed at the after end of that structure (closer to the original starboard magazines). However, on the first SCB-27C's, the 5" were moved aft so the elevator could be placed aft of the starboard hangar structure. This saved time and money in the conversion. But then they discovered that the elevator was too far aft for an aircraft to trap, release the hook, and taxi clear to the elevator quickly. Too much back taxiing was involved which slowed the landing cycle. So the elevator had to be moved forward and the cost and time for cutting through the hangar-side structure had to be accepted. That is why all subsequent starboard elevators were in the more-forward location. When CV's 11, 14, and 19 received SCB-125, a triangle of flightdeck was added to allow aircraft to taxi back to the elevator clear of the landing zone. However, in practice, this piece of deck ended up being used mostly for deck parking.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm 

Dick J wrote:
So the elevator had to be moved forward and the cost and time for cutting through the hangar-side structure had to be accepted. That is why all subsequent starboard elevators were in the more-forward location.

Interesting, because when you compare overhead views, it looks like the forward position is basically straight out to the side from the centerline location as originally built. I would've guessed that would be the simpler route with less structural removal. Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 am 

ArmchairAdmiral wrote:
Interesting, because when you compare overhead views, it looks like the forward position is basically straight out to the side from the centerline location as originally built. I would've guessed that would be the simpler route with less structural removal. Thanks for the info.

That may well be outboard of the original inline elevator, but if you look at the attached link:
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... 15-04c.jpg
Note how much structure is between the elevator and the starboard side of the ship.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:40 pm 

Dick J wrote:
Note how much structure is between the elevator and the starboard side of the ship.

Indeed. Almost like an entirely new ship after the conversions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:17 pm 

Dick J wrote:
When CV's 11, 14, and 19 received SCB-125, a triangle of flightdeck was added to allow aircraft to taxi back to the elevator clear of the landing zone. However, in practice, this piece of deck ended up being used mostly for deck parking.

Did the original problem improve at all after the SCB-125?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:42 pm 

With the angled deck and the ability to taxi clear of the landing zone without immediately heading for an elevator, there was less of a problem with the elevator placement. Like I mentioned, the triangle of deck added to those three was used more for deck parking than for taxi-back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:40 am 

Booklet of General Plans for USS Wasp. The record says it is for CVA-18. Hope this helps in the discussion on the location of the starboard elevator. I hope the link works.

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=booklet%20of%20general%20plans%20cva-18

David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:37 am 

The blister ran from Frame 54 to Frame 175. The hull plating was removed and new framing and plating added to fair in the blister smoothly from Frame 39 to Frame 54 forward and from Frame 175 to Frame 195 aft.

Maurice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:37 pm 

Okay, People I need some help!!!

I'm planning to take my 1/350 scale USS Hancock CV-19 and convert it into the LPH-8 USS Valley Forge. I found some decals from Starfighter and some other converging parts from ModelMonkey. What I still need to know is what aircraft did it have on for its last cruise to Vietnam in 1969-1970??

I will also need to know the number of each aircraft type and unit assigned to.

Thank you for any and all help
Sheridan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:32 pm 

Ahoy -- Modeling USS Valley Forge will be a fun challenge!

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs/v/valley-forge-cv-45.html:
On her final deployment Valley Forge "loaded special landing-force equipment at Subic Bay and embarked the Commander, Special Landing Forces Bravo and a squadron of Marine CH-46 transport helicopters."

A "squadron of Marine CH-46" describes an HMM squadron. Ships and Aircraft of the U.S. Fleet, 11th Ed. (1978), says HMM squadrons contained 18 CH-46D/F helicopters.

Google HMM "USS Valley Forge" 1969 produces several leads, including http://www.popasmoke.com/visions/thumbnails.php?album=75. The squadron appears to be HMM-164, squadron code YT.

In 1973 my LPH (USS Okinawa) with a squadron of CH-53D's also carried one USMC UH-1 and two AH-1's. Okinawa also carried her own USN CH-46D (engine gray) for the ship's USN aviators to maintain their own proficiency.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:51 pm 

Michael Potter

Thank you for the information it will help out a lot. I think with what i read there should be:

18 CH-46 Sea Knight
04 CH-43 Sea Stallion
02 UH-1 Huey
02 AH-1 Cobra

I think this is right for the time period. More research is what I'm going to be doing in the near future!!

I served in the ARMY and love the history of NAVY ships.

Sheridan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:52 pm 

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but for those of you that pre-ordered the newly re-released Revell model of the Oriskany, I just checked and my order shipped today from Tower Hobbies.

Attachments:
shipped.jpg
shipped.jpg [ 74.5 KiB | Viewed 2565 times ]

My USS Oriskany website
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:57 am 

Doc wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but for those of you that pre-ordered the newly re-released Revell model of the Oriskany, I just checked and my order shipped today from Tower Hobbies.

I saw several of them on the shelf at Brookhurst Hobbies in Garden Grove, CA this past Saturday.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:46 pm 

Thanks Sean.

I need advice please. In order to use the greatly detailed 1/560 scale Oriskany island structure designed by Model Monkey, I'd like to add the ECM boom structure to the box he already includes on the starboard side of the island.

I don't think that boom is on the GM Essex class carrier 1/540 scale photoetch addon. Can anyone suggest what can be used to simulate that boom for the USS Oriskany? This structure was added to the starboard side of the ships island between the 1967 and '69 cruises. It can be seen in a couple of shots from the 1969 cruise book which I'll attach below.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

My USS Oriskany website

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:38 pm 

Hi Doc,

Did some looking. The good news is that the Forrestal's got the same gear. The bad news is I don't think any of the Forrestal Class Kits in any scale model it. Some of the other Essex Class ships had it as well. It appears that the Gallery Intrepid is modeled prior to her getting the ECM structure and antena's. A quick search on the various Essex Kits of yesteryear did not show any that had that either.

So I would recommend trying to scratch build it or go with an earlier version of Oriskany if you don't want to tackle it. If I were to do it, I would make some stretch sprue pieces using a candle and piece it together . Maybe create a drawing so that you can use it like you would doing a balsa stick model. Lay the sprue on the drawing and create the structure. It is not hard just time consuming and frustrating when you glue your fingers and everything else trying to create it. It can be done without master modeling skills so give it a try. I have done stuff like that before and if you get it right, it is quite rewarding.

Good luck,

MM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:38 pm 

Mark. Thanks for taking the time to check for other kits with the same ECM gear. On the Gold Medal Models photo etch Shipsets for REVELL MIDWAY, FORRESTAL, AND ESSEX- CLASS AIRCRAFT CARRIERS (1/540), there are Late Forrestal ECM antenna supports, etc. Would this work for Oriskany as well?

Here's a close up of the parts on the GM photo etch set-

My USS Oriskany website

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:14 pm 

Thanks David. I didn't think the Forrestal was an Essex class carrier and just wanted to know if this photo etch part would work as the one on the Oriskany. I'm trying to wrap my head around how it's folded to get the shape it needs to be.

My USS Oriskany website

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:59 am 

Hi Doc,

Great find! That is it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 pm 

Thanks Mark. Any idea how the photo etch part would be folded and attached to the platform? It appears to have 3 sides to form some sort of triangular shape. I guess I'm going to have to find a better image of the structure itself to figure it out.

As near as I can figure, the photo etch part makes a 3 sided 'open box'. I tried to visualize how it should be bent to look like it's meant to. The end would be bent at a right angle of course. I'm not sure where the platform attaches.

Attachments:
ECM_folded.jpg
ECM_folded.jpg [ 76.79 KiB | Viewed 2331 times ]
ECM folded2.jpg
ECM folded2.jpg [ 65.77 KiB | Viewed 2331 times ]

My USS Oriskany website

Last edited by Doc on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 864 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 44  Next