The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:48 pm 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Good day,
On Axial Deck Essex Class when they were reclassified to ASW Carriers and LPH's. What was the Air wing made of. Finally I know a lot of these ships transported Aircraft. Found a photo of the Valley forge with A-4 and Couple of whales. Did any of the Axial deck ship embark the A-3 or E-1b on them?

For an axial-deck Essex-class ship as a CVS you'd usually find early S-2s and HSS-1 Seabats in the embarked air group, and Lake Champlain (the only SCB-27A ship that didn't get the SCB-125 enclosed bow/angled deck modification) carried SH-3As in her final years in service. HUS-1s and similar are what I most often associate with the LPH conversions, although you can find photos from later in the '60s of CH-46s and UH-1s embarked, and even a fly-off by the occasional O-1 Bird Dog. Princeton embarked several SH-3s of HS-4 for the Apollo 10 recovery, with at least one H-34 aboard as probably a ship's utility aircraft.

Any A-3 you would see on an axial-deck Essex would have been hitching a ride to/from another port, not operating from the ship, and I'd put good money on that A-4 aboard Valley Forge doing the same. It was a common practice.

IIRC, the E-1 Tracers sent to sea aboard Essex-class ships operated only from the fully-converted Essexes, and only in the last years of their lives. Up through the mid-60s it was common to see Guppy Skyraiders handle AEW duties aboard these ships.

Jodie Peeler

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:12 am 

jpeeler wrote:
matteo reich wrote:
yeah I know that maybe this is the best solution, but I also have to add the bulges, and this require major rebuilding of the hull details...it's tedious :big_grin: so I was wondering if someone programmed to make one in 1:700

I have the same desire for a good 1:700 kit of a modernized ship...but the challenge then becomes "which one do you represent in the kit." Depending on how you classify them, there were four or five or more substantial sub-groups within the SCB-125/125A (angled deck/enclosed bow) ships, and even within those subgroups there were so many differences between ships that I'm constantly becoming aware of, and I've been studying these ships close to 30 years. The detective work Steve has done designing the 3-D-printed islands for these ships has made me aware of even more substantial differences, and it's added more moments of "hmmm...." to things I thought I'd figured out with certainty long ago.

The discussions about the MRC/Gallery Intrepid kit in 1:350 would carry over to 1:700 - by committing to one unit in a specific configuration, you take out the possibility of other ships whose configurations had moderate/substantial differences. Short of a huge modularized tool with interchangeable bow enclosures, different flight decks, etc., and various sponsons and outriggers that were flush-fit to the hull sides, I'm not sure how that would get done in an affordable injection-molded kit.

Jodie Peeler

This could represent a problem, however, I think that a good solution can be achieved with the Hasegawa's concept on her essex models: two bow moulds, but only one for the hull which it would be identical to the one posted by Martin (Thanks!)
:wave_1: :big_grin:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:34 pm 

Would anyone here know which type or similar type of font was used for the jet blast and intake warning on the port side of Intrepids island? May try to make my own as it seems that no one is in a hurry to get a set of decals out on the market.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:28 am 

Hi Jon,

Try this link: http://www.tlai.com/med_des/lbusn.html

I use this font for all of my decal work for USN aircraft, ship names, ect.

Good luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:33 am 

Thanks Mark.

Took a quick look at it, just hope it isn't too hard to figure out how to use it. I'm not the best with these computer thingamajigs.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:04 pm 

Hi guys! I came to this forum a little late......spent a (relatively) enjoyable 18 months on the Essex.......came aboard just before her last Med cruise, and left her in South Boston decommissioned. I was there for the Badger's demise in the Norwegian sea, and for the barrier crash of our Willy Fudd. Been a long time since I rooted around for photos..........I'll post 'em when I find 'em........

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:48 pm 

For 1/700 kits regarding long hull ships. Could artwox franklin deck be used with a filler piece.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:18 am 

jpeeler wrote:
If you could solve the bow situation and the forefoot for the non-sonar units (for the folks who want full-hull models), the hull would be a blank slate for whatever could be tooled up.

If I understand this right, the sonar was part of SCB-144, which was CV-9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, 20, & 33?

So for my AVT-16 project, sounds like I need a non SQS-23 bow....

Thanks!

Jonah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:57 am 

Good news
Mark at star fighters has release several 1/350 decal sets for the Intrepid and one for Big O. (Is this a hint that we have another angle deck Essex coming out????)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:06 pm 

MAJOR-B wrote:
one for Big O. (Is this a hint that we have another angle deck Essex coming out????)

No - I asked him that. That was a custom order that he's made available on his website.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 pm 

Gator52 wrote:
If I understand this right, the sonar was part of SCB-144, which was CV-9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18, 20, & 33?

So for my AVT-16 project, sounds like I need a non SQS-23 bow....

Lexington did not receive sonar (or stem anchor), so you would be correct.

As it happens, Yorktown never received a full SCB-144 conversion (for a variety of reasons, including funding, availability for overhaul, and upcoming retirement) and never received the stem anchor, so I believe a non-sonar bow would be appropriate for CVS-10 as well.

Jodie Peeler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:33 pm 

Ok thanks for the info Jodie.

Jonah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:57 pm 

I inadvertently posted this as a new topic, but the question really goes here.
Does anyone make a 1/350 SX radar assembly.

The very large twin dish radar shows up predominately on most post-war Essex carriers. Especially those which served early in Korea like the Valley Forge.
Considering that it was used on most of the carriers until the angle deck conversions, I am surprised that it isn't included on any of the various US naval radar sets.

If you have had to scratch build one, what did you use for the dishes?

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:48 am 

Hello all

Back after while...but still very interested in the Essex class, especially CV-11 since it's the only ship of that class I was able to visit back in 1987. I am planing to get the new 1/350 kit and do her in a temp. CVA config. I checked the pictures on Navysource and it looks like the ship got a new deck piant job between 67 and 68. Since I am not a big fan of the two tone decks I am aiming for her 67 apperance since the few pics I have seen from this year lead to the one color flight deck. Can this be confirmed by anyone?

thanks a lot
Uwe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:55 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Need help with USS Boxer's LPH-4 bridge appearance as they appeared about 1960-1964.

A customer has asked for the Model Monkey 1/350 Boxer CV-21 Korean War-era bridge decks to be adjusted to their Vietnam War-era LPH-4 appearance. As you may know, Boxer, as LPH-4, retained her original World War Two-era island and straight deck making for a great conversion project using a "long-hull" kit.

Cannot find good photos of her LPH-4 island port side. The LPH-4 starboard side has some minor shape and navigating bridge window differences so easy to adapt the 1953 CV-21 design. I suspect that the LPH-4 starboard side has minor differences, too, but can't confirm that. Very blurry NavSource images suggest she retained her original PriFly structure as LPH-4, too. Is that correct?

Link to 1953 design: http://www.shapeways.com/product/DMXEKH ... idge-decks

Here's the 1953 CV-21 design in 1/350 scale:

Attachments:
Model Monkey 1-350 USS Boxer CV-21 1951 bridge decks.aa.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 USS Boxer CV-21 1951 bridge decks.aa.jpg [ 19.12 KiB | Viewed 3295 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:34 am 

Hello Everybody,
I'm looking for drawings of the Tilly crane used on board Essex class and the larger carries from the 60's to the 80's .
I've found drawings of the CCVC but none of the older Tilly. I'm trying to make a photo etch set for this crane to go with the 1/350 3D printed Tilly as it does not come with the boom or pully system also maybe the 1/500 for the old Revell Essex class kit
Thank You,Any help would be greatly appreciated

Oh by the way in my search I found this website that has every kind of equipment used by the US Navy and for some part the USAF
No pics but line drawings and descriptions
http://navyaviation.tpub.com/14014/css/ ... nt-215.htm

Attachments:
midway-148b.jpg
midway-148b.jpg [ 96.78 KiB | Viewed 2930 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:44 am 

Hello everyone. I'm building model of Interpid. I need help with the auxiliary forward elevator. On Hornet (CV-12) it looks like that. But how it looks on Interpid? Does anybody have technical drawings, or fotos of this node?

Attachments:
IMG_5386_1.jpg
IMG_5386_1.jpg [ 180.19 KiB | Viewed 2155 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:28 pm 
Does anyone make 1/1800 scale Essex deck decals, specifically for the SCB-125s?

Sigh. Didn't think so.

I'd like to pick up one of Shapeways' SCB-125 Essexes, but not unless I can do justice to that unique pattern on the angle deck. I'm not good at freehanding, and the size is kinda small to try masking or stencils.

I thought about buying the Starfighter 1200 decals, scanning them and laser-printing them out in reduced size on my own decal paper. Would that work?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 am 
What would one expect to pay for a Jim Shirley Oriskany, or a Ships & Co. Ticonderoga? Where could they be found outside of ebay? Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:07 pm 

Aloha Admiral - a very different and unique diorama!

Just so you are aware, we have a picture post section with in progress / finished subsections. We found that when build or gallery posts like yours were in the general "Calling all Ship Fans" threads they became insanely long and no one wanted to look through them.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 867 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 44  Next