The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm 

Haijun watcher wrote:
Thanks David for your input. When you made the comparison, which hull was slightly larger/longer? I’m assuming the longer one was the overscale Trumpeter Yorktown hull.

No, the Trumpeter kit hull was slightly shorter (in my opinion) at the waterline than the resin kit, although aligning the stern ends is a bit tricky because there's so much curvature coming down from the hanger deck to the waterline at the stern. The Trumpeter flightdeck is also slightly shorter than the resin kit (although the resin deck is in three pieces, and I haven't glued them together yet, so they were just pushed as close together as they would go on my work bench when I laid the Trumpeter deck on top of the resin pieces). Don't ask for too many more hull details, because the resin kit has some flash or over-pour at the hull waterline that I haven't begun to trim/sand yet, and which might reduce the waterline length slightly after that's done - I think the bottom was "up" when the resin was poured. Anyway, I'm not a big one for splitting hairs, and it looks like both kits would build up nicely.

The Trumpeter roll up metal doors on the side of the hanger deck look pretty good (you can't expect these to be accurate at 1/700 any more than you can expect deck planking widths to be accurate. The corrugations in the roll up doors are maybe 2-3 inches wide in real life?).

Since we're comparing: The Trumpeter hull is about 1/4" longer at the waterline than the Tamiya hull - very obvious, but I think everyone knows that the Tamiya kit is in the 1/720 neighborhood in addition to the other issues with the Tamiya hull shape.

Dave

PS The Trumpeter kit molded the bridge/stack structure as one piece (as opposed to port and starboard sides), although there are still lots of platforms, funnel caps, masts, etc that have to be added to it). I noticed this because it was one of the heaviest pieces in the box (since it's solid plastic, not hollow like I'm used to making). That, and I'm not used to seeing injection molded parts that have molded detail on at least five different sides (fore, aft, port, starboard, and top).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 pm 

I'm no photographer, but here is a top down view of the Trumpeter and Toms Modelworks hulls shot more or less from a point above and between the two hulls. I placed the Trumpeter hanger deck piece in the hull just to make the two shots a little more comparable, but the Tom's kit has the sidewalls of the hanger deck molded into the hull and they're separate pieces in the Trumpeter kit (and obviously not installed yet), so the matching along the port and starboard edges isn't "apples to apples". Still, it's easy to see where the five inch platforms are going to be, for example, and how closely aligned they are. The relative placement of the three elevators can also be judged (though the Trumpeter hanger deck is loose and I think it will shift a tiny bit toward the stern during construction).

Dave

Attachments:
Trumpeter-Toms Modelworks-Yorktown hulls.jpg
Trumpeter-Toms Modelworks-Yorktown hulls.jpg [ 124.93 KiB | Viewed 233 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30