The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:35 am 
Bob Dedmon wrote:
Working on the 1/350 Yorktown CV-5, I'm looking for some (any) photos of the lift mechanism for the midship elevator. I'm intending to open many of the roll up doors and that detail should be visible the many books I have on the subject neglect this bit of information, and Navsource isn't much better.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020626.jpg Here is the elevator from Enterprise. Construction looks the same as Hornet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:51 am 

Thanks for all the information in here. Especially the flight deck markings, was a mystery to me why I couldn't see any. Really helps me with my build. Try to be as accurate as I can within limits ...

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=165261

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:15 am 

MODERATOR: I hope this post is placed correctly--if not, please move (t/y)

I am looking for an aftermarket model parts supplier, from whom I can obtain USN 5-in./38 cal. single guns, and the water-cooled Browning .50-cal. M.G.s, to accurately detail a prewar Yorktown (1937-ish). I am modding an Enterprise kit, which has only toy-like "lumps and blobs" molded into the flight deck galleries, the latter of which I am replacing with all-new stock.

I've had no problem locating aftermarket 5"/51 and 5"/35s, but neither look even close to the '38s. As to the M.G.s,, no luck either, only Oerlikons and wartime 1.1s.

Any source suggestions are welcomed!

TIA,

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 am 

Which scale, Dan?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am 

RNfanDan wrote:
MODERATOR: I hope this post is placed correctly--if not, please move (t/y)

I am looking for an aftermarket model parts supplier, from whom I can obtain USN 5-in./38 cal. single guns, and the water-cooled Browning .50-cal. M.G.s, to accurately detail a prewar Yorktown (1937-ish). I am modding an Enterprise kit, which has only toy-like "lumps and blobs" molded into the flight deck galleries, the latter of which I am replacing with all-new stock.

I've had no problem locating aftermarket 5"/51 and 5"/35s, but neither look even close to the '38s. As to the M.G.s,, no luck either, only Oerlikons and wartime 1.1s.

Any source suggestions are welcomed!

TIA,

Dan

Assuming you are talking 1/700, I believe I got the fine molds 5"38s and 1.1s.
For the water cooled 50 cals I think I found two different brass sets, but I will have to check the manufacture when I get home. I usually buy from Freetime Hobbies, but I have used any number of different vendors depending on the availability of what I am looking for. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am 

Timmy C wrote:
Which scale, Dan?

1:600 for 3D printed, but willing to use photo-etched brass and/or 1:700 with a little "plumping up".

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:51 pm 

Thanks, gentlemen--I have some ideas now. This project is my first foray into USN fleet carrier modeling, since the early 1970s !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:39 pm 

Need help finding a photo in a book. Yorktown's paper, the Yorktown Crier, had a cartoon in it, depicting Saratoga encased in a drydock, steaming along with a torpedo headed inbound. A destroyer is shown racing to take the hit for her, but Sara's captain stands on the bridge saying "That's okay, we'll take it!" I've read several descriptions of this cartoon, and I KNOW I've seen it somewhere, but I can't seem to locate it. I thought it was surely in RENDEZVOUS AT MIDWAY or THAT GALLANT SHIP, but no luck. Anyone else know where to find it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:49 am 

The Trumpeter 1/700 Yorktown CV-5 is out. The first listing I've seen is on Ebay.
A bit expensive at over $75.00 with shipping

Last edited by Nino on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:52 am 

I posted two days ago that it is listed as "in stock" at HLJ. Mine is ordered and en route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:41 pm 

Many of us here have already seen how Dick J posted his insights about the Trumpeter CV-5 kit in another thread, confirming that the kit is indeed is overscale.

Still, this gave me an idea for those of us who are fixated on accuracy of dimensions: what if one used Tom's Modelworks Hornet hull- with the supposedly accurate 1/700 hull and corrected bow shape- and added it to the new Trumpeter CV-5 kit?

If the overscale Trumpeter CV-5 flight deck proves to be slightly too long, wouldn't one just simply trim it a little to fit the Tom's Modelworks hull?

From various sources I read online, the actual Hornet and Yorktown both seemed to have been 251.38 meters long overall. (are we even sure the corrected Toms Modelworks Hornet hull has accurate dimensions?)

Anyways, I've re-posted Dick J's comments for future reference for modellers at this thread:

Dick J wrote:
Just got my kit this morning. The hull scales out at about 1/697, making it about as over scale as the Academy CV-6 hull is under scale (at 1/702 - 1/703). Both kits appear to be in the range to be "close enough" on scale. Unlike the Academy kit, all three elevators are molded into the flightdeck, meaning that they would have to be carefully cut out to depict a lowered elevator - and the deck is not scribed on the under side to assist with that. On the flip side, the Trumpy kit has all three elevators molded at the hangar level, unlike the Academy kit, which unusually has not depicted the well for the forward elevator extending down to hangar deck level, keeping the deck unbroken at the forecastle level. This is all the more strange on the Academy kit because the forward elevator is one of the two where the elevator is a separate piece at flightdeck level. (How do you depict that one in the down position if the space below doesn't go all the way down?)

The exterior hangar sides are molded separately on the Trumpy kit (not my favorite way, but I can live with that), but no interior structures are provided for the base below the island. Checking the instructions, for the most part, the light AA is correct for CV-5. There are two exceptions, however. One extra 20MM is placed in the starboard catwalk aft of the after 5" guns. That should be easily removed. Second, one of the "non-permanent" .50 cal MGs is not located on the short deck aft of (and one level lower than) the port side after 5" guns. The kit does have the extra part to allow one to be placed there though.

Now for the big question - hull shape. The shape looks quite good, especially compared to the Trumpy Hornet hull. In short - they actually fixed it! I even like this hull shape better than the Academy CV-6 hull, particularly in the bow flair below the forward 5" gun sponson. (The Academy kit has a slight, soft "knuckle" there.) The degaussing cable is generally correct for CV-5 and is not as "overdone" as the one on Academy's CV-6. (The CV-6 cable depiction makes somewhat too wide of a swath in the bow area.) Obviously, I haven't built the kit yet to determine if all else is as it should be, but I think the basic shapes are close enough that other issues with the kit that might crop up will be easily fixed by the after market community.

All thinks considered, I think that finally we might have a keeper!!

PS: There is no lower hull piece in this kit.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 pm 

I think that this is a bit of overreaction to the scale discrepancy. For the 824.75' Yorktown class, the difference between 1/700 and 1/697 is about .06" As I said before, I think that it is close enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 am 

Dick J wrote:
I think that this is a bit of overreaction to the scale discrepancy.

I mean, what scale is the deck planking in comparison? Is anyone really going to try re-scribing the deck to get in-scale planks and tie downs?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:11 pm 

For what it's worth, I laid the 1/700 Trumpeter Yorktown waterline hull on the 1/700 Yorktown hull from Tom's Modelworks resin kit (bottom to bottom), and the two waterline profiles are nearly identical from bow to stern. The overall waterline length is also nearly identical.

I do have a small fit issue with the Trumpeter kit hanger deck placement into the hull at the stern (the hanger deck is a little too wide to drop into place properly and will have to be sanded to get a flush fit). This is the rounded edge end of the part. The relatively straight long runs on either side fit tightly into the hull but sit properly at the molded in level. (The hanger deck has molded in floor panel lines.)

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm 

Thanks David for your input. When you made the comparison, which hull was slightly larger/longer? I’m assuming the longer one was the overscale Trumpeter Yorktown hull.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm 

Haijun watcher wrote:
Thanks David for your input. When you made the comparison, which hull was slightly larger/longer? I’m assuming the longer one was the overscale Trumpeter Yorktown hull.

No, the Trumpeter kit hull was slightly shorter (in my opinion) at the waterline than the resin kit, although aligning the stern ends is a bit tricky because there's so much curvature coming down from the hanger deck to the waterline at the stern. The Trumpeter flightdeck is also slightly shorter than the resin kit (although the resin deck is in three pieces, and I haven't glued them together yet, so they were just pushed as close together as they would go on my work bench when I laid the Trumpeter deck on top of the resin pieces). Don't ask for too many more hull details, because the resin kit has some flash or over-pour at the hull waterline that I haven't begun to trim/sand yet, and which might reduce the waterline length slightly after that's done - I think the bottom was "up" when the resin was poured. Anyway, I'm not a big one for splitting hairs, and it looks like both kits would build up nicely.

The Trumpeter roll up metal doors on the side of the hanger deck look pretty good (you can't expect these to be accurate at 1/700 any more than you can expect deck planking widths to be accurate. The corrugations in the roll up doors are maybe 2-3 inches wide in real life?).

Since we're comparing: The Trumpeter hull is about 1/4" longer at the waterline than the Tamiya hull - very obvious, but I think everyone knows that the Tamiya kit is in the 1/720 neighborhood in addition to the other issues with the Tamiya hull shape.

Dave

PS The Trumpeter kit molded the bridge/stack structure as one piece (as opposed to port and starboard sides), although there are still lots of platforms, funnel caps, masts, etc that have to be added to it). I noticed this because it was one of the heaviest pieces in the box (since it's solid plastic, not hollow like I'm used to making). That, and I'm not used to seeing injection molded parts that have molded detail on at least five different sides (fore, aft, port, starboard, and top).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 pm 

I'm no photographer, but here is a top down view of the Trumpeter and Toms Modelworks hulls shot more or less from a point above and between the two hulls. I placed the Trumpeter hanger deck piece in the hull just to make the two shots a little more comparable, but the Tom's kit has the sidewalls of the hanger deck molded into the hull and they're separate pieces in the Trumpeter kit (and obviously not installed yet), so the matching along the port and starboard edges isn't "apples to apples". Still, it's easy to see where the five inch platforms are going to be, for example, and how closely aligned they are. The relative placement of the three elevators can also be judged (though the Trumpeter hanger deck is loose and I think it will shift a tiny bit toward the stern during construction).

Dave

Attachments:
Trumpeter-Toms Modelworks-Yorktown hulls.jpg
Trumpeter-Toms Modelworks-Yorktown hulls.jpg [ 124.93 KiB | Viewed 5354 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:59 pm 

Image moved!

Last edited by Jeff Sharp on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:04 pm 

It's enterprise Jeff. If you compare that pic to the one of Yorktown in drydock after Coral Sea, you can see the difference in the degaussing cables.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:59 pm 

The radar as well - Enterprise with the CXAM-1 rather than the Yorktown's CXAM.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 37  Next