The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Flight deck planking
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:02 am 

Hope someone here cann help me,I an trying to find out the size of the deck planking on the flight deck,all I've found are in pictures and I am guessing they are 4" x 6" can anyone confirm this?Also are the aircraft tie downs the same width I am building in 1/144 scale so I think I will be making these myself.Thanks,Ron.

Post subject: Re: Flight deck planking
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:45 am 

Which class?

Post subject: Re: Flight deck planking
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:55 pm 

Hell I posted in wrong place it is Yorktown cv5.Ron.

Last edited by Timmy C on Sun May 26, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:41 pm 

Does anyone have a good source for 1/480 - 1/500 scale planes for WW2 carriers? Matt Stein has Devastators, Wildcats, and Avengers, but no SBDs. White Ensign no longer sells them...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:05 pm 

Its why I want them to start producing those again...

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/produ ... a-oHrX4dNF

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:27 pm 

JTninja wrote:
Its why I want them to start producing those again...

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/produ ... a-oHrX4dNF

JT,

I ordered 12 F4F Wildcats and 8 TBD Avengers from Matt Stein, they arrived last night. Now I never got a chance to check out the ones from WEM, but these planes are awesome! A bit of clean up is required however, as there is some residual pieces of casting wafer that remains. The planes wings are scored so you can fold them for stowed position in the hanger or elevator.

The Wildcats need PE propellers and tail hooks, but after that they are good to go, as they have molded landing gear with wheels. They also are molded with drop tanks, not sure if I am going to keep them or not. The Avengers need landing gear as well as propellers and hooks. Also, Matt recommends a prime coat of purple to dampen the reflective light from the yellow color of the resin. I'll be painting these up tonight, will let you know how they turn out.

Also ordered some decals from Starfighter and the PE kit from GMM, so counting the 10 or so SBDs that came with the Yorktown kit that are decent enough to work with, I might actually have a nice little air group going! Will post some pics when I get them done...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A review of the new Tom's Modelworks 1/700 Yorktown kit is posted here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:37 pm 

Cadman wrote:

A review of the new Tom's Modelworks 1/700 Yorktown kit is posted here.

Nice review, Timothy. Next up will be your build log of said kit, yes? :)

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:25 pm 

Just finished reading Timothy Dike's review of the Tom's Modelworks 1/700 Yorktown kit. I also saw it at Nationals, but I didn't document it like Tim did (great job Tim). I want to build a Yorktown at Coral Sea to go with Lexington at Coral Sea (and other ships involved).

I like what Tim did in pointing out the specific hull issues with the Tamiya and Trumpeter kits (I had only heard about them before, but the pictures really tell the story). I wondered how the three flight decks compared? To me, that's more obvious when looking at an aircraft carrier model sitting on a table. Maybe Tim could add a paragraph on flight decks to his review?

I noticed in the review (not when looking at it live) that the decal sheet does not include Coral Sea decals for the Yorktown planes (or any with the red dots in the stars typical of pre-Midway planes). The decal sheet includes a lot of Enterprise at ... (fill in the battle) decals for battles that occurred after Yorktown was sunk, along with lots of Midway decals, but people wanting to model Yorktown between Dec 7 and May 1942 will have to look elsewhere for decals. Presumably the decal sheet is common for this kit and the new Enterprise kit.

Someone who's worked with resin can maybe help me out. I've only done a small resin destroyer. Half of the gun barrels on the 5" single guns are curved. Is there a recommended method of straightening out curved resin pieces? Tim mentioned a curved flight deck support and said it would be easy to fix, but I don't think it would be easy for me (not knowing what to do).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For small thin parts like that, I use a hair dryer and gently bend them back into shape.

I will update my review when I can with the other info.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hallis wrote:
Nice review, Timothy. Next up will be your build log of said kit, yes? :)

Build log, what build log. I spent too much time writing reviews and doing gallery updates to ever build again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:22 pm 

Have folks caught this before?

"The Lady and the Sea," - USN documentary on the Yorktown (in color): http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bb2_1382185750

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46 pm 

That's CV-10 Yorktown - an Essex class carrier that replaced CV-5. A cause for much confusion to this day!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:09 am 

Tracy White wrote:
That's CV-10 Yorktown - an Essex class carrier that replaced CV-5. A cause for much confusion to this day!

Strike my colors, Tracy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:54 am 

Tracy White wrote:

Not to mention a firm "middle finger" by the USN to the memory (and the veterans) of CV5, who truly made a difference in the Pacific War, when it mattered most...

Idiocy!

:mad_1:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:40 pm 

That's one reason why http://cv5yorktown.com/ exists :smallsmile:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:20 pm 

RNfanDan wrote:
Tracy White wrote:

Not to mention a firm "middle finger" by the USN to the memory (and the veterans) of CV5, who truly made a difference in the Pacific War, when it mattered most...

Idiocy!

:mad_1:

How was that a firm middle finger? The several Essex carriers that were named for the carriers lost earlier in the war were so named as an honor to their predecessors, not as an insult. In fact, Capt. Mason of Hornet wanted his crew kept together and reassigned to a new carrier named Hornet to carry on the fight. It also nicely screwed with the heads of the Japanese high command, who, like today's historical illiterates were equally clueless. :big_grin:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:51 pm 

Never mind, then. It was a GREAT policy (no pun intended).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:39 am 

In fact, there is an instance when the USN had two ships in commission simultaneously (for years, not days or hours) to honor a single predecessor ship. (Try this bit of trivia out on your supposedly knowledgeable friends!) I doubt any other navy did this, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:32 pm 

John W. wrote:
In fact, there is an instance when the USN had two ships in commission simultaneously (for years, not days or hours) to honor a single predecessor ship. (Try this bit of trivia out on your supposedly knowledgeable friends!) I doubt any other navy did this, but I could be wrong.

That's easy. Hornet CV-12 and Shangri La CV-38 both honored Hornet CV-8.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 37  Next