The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:38 am 
Gordon Bjorklund wrote:
I'm looking for confirmation or correction of Yorktown's 20mm and .50 cal guns at Midway. Following Dick J's posts on the SN site dated 12-17-03 and 11-10-05, this is what I came up with. I hope that I read the posts correctly.

TIA

Gordon

there was also x3 50 or 30 cal just aft of the Port side 20mm guns. You can see them in the pictures tooken of torpedo bombers attacking Yorktown.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:57 am 
Gordon Bjorklund wrote:
I'm looking for confirmation or correction of Yorktown's 20mm and .50 cal guns at Midway. Following Dick J's posts on the SN site dated 12-17-03 and 11-10-05, this is what I came up with. I hope that I read the posts correctly.

TIA

Gordon

there was also x3 50 or 30 cal just aft of the Port side 20mm guns. You can see them in the pictures taken after the dive bombers attacking Yorktown.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/020511.jpg

picture from http://www.navsource.org

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 am 

Pretty sure that view is looking starboard aft and not port forward. Look at Plate I of her loss in action report.
http://www.cv5yorktown.com/Documents/Reports/Loss/

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:50 am 
Tracy White wrote:
Pretty sure that view is looking starboard aft and not port forward. Look at Plate I of her loss in action report.

Yes, you are right sorry. I looked gown by the welder and saw the beginning of the midships elevator behind him and I remembered that this was the contact bomb that hit by the 28mm gun tubes and midship elevator.

Sorry again. Gathering my info for my build. Will convert a 1/700 scale Enterprise first and then I wanna build a 1/72 scale model of Yorktown at Midway, but would like to build a 1/350th first maybe. Depending on availability of parts and kit since the Trumper has bad reviews and the Yankee Model works enterprise is quite expensive. (Around $600.00)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 am 

Tracy White wrote:

Yes, definitely starboard aft facing. Look at the horizon in the distance, which indicates we are looking at the high side of the deck, confirming a starboard view, as the ship was listing to port. The fifties in that photo are the original battery of four that are in the starboard catwalk just aft of the midship elevator. A bit further on, you can see the pair of 20MM that bracketed the boat crane and then the five inch guns. The bomb hole they are working on is Hit C in the battle damage plate. (The drawing used in the plate is her original as built AA layout, not her actual Midway configuration, which Gordon's drawings show).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:47 am 

DennisJP wrote:
I wanna build a 1/72 scale model of Yorktown at Midway

Sounds like fun! Drop me a line via e-mail if you would... I know someone who might want to talk to you about that project.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:21 am 
Sorry Mr white. I did no see your E-mail on your researcher Sight and I'm not a member here.

My New question is does anyone have? Which is the best hobby store to get the "Hull Lines Plan" for Yorktown CV-5? I have her 1940 plans and they do not have a Hull Lines Plan that I have seen used to get the shape of the hull.
Will not start for awhile but gathering my information and studying the ship, as well as Lexington CV-2. Looking for Lexington's hull lines plan as well.
Looking at these plans and looking at how they built these ships I have great respect and amazement at how they built the ship and how anyone even came up with the vision of how it would look like. They built the ships deck by deck back then and even with rivets and how they went by these plans and constructed the contour of the ships hull is quite amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:42 pm 

Your best bet for hull lines are Plan W-CV5 – USS Yorktown drawn by Peter Heenan and distributed by Web Warships which you can order from Floating Drydock. He provides a body plan, waterlines, and buttock lines.

Paul

http://paulbudzik.com/current-projects/Neptune/Lockheed_Neptune_Model_Budzik.html
http://paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/outside_the_box.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:18 am 
Thanks for the info. I like how you did your hull. I have the 1940 plans of Yorktown. I thought of doing it the same. Calculate what frames I wanna build my ribs and plot the different sizes of each deck into the rib and then cut it out, to get the contour of the hull. I will building in the future a waterline model. I wanna have a ocean scene in a case. I thought about the strike against Soryu launch scene or making a wildcat launch scene, that happened during the Hiryu torpedo attack, with the AA guns firing, might look kind of neat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:14 am 
Looked up the hull lines plans at the floating drydock. What do they mean by FAIRED LINES plan and STATIONS plan? Yorktown hull lines plan just say's STATIONS. Some have FAIRED LINES and STATIONS or just FAIRED LINES. Did not see plans by Peter Heenan or at least no mention of the name.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:18 am 
Thank You for your info.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:54 pm 

This Page:
http://floatingdrydock.com/MISSC.htm

This Plan Set:
W-CV5 Yorktown CV5 5/40

http://paulbudzik.com/current-projects/Neptune/Lockheed_Neptune_Model_Budzik.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:58 am 
Thanks for the link. Do you have this set? In your judgment how is the quality and size of the plan? Is it bigger than your living room LOL? I remember a picture I saw of the plans for the Enterprise CVN-65 with several draftsmen standing around them. Each page had to be over 12 feet long.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 am 

That's about normal for paper plans that the Navy used; I've seen some that were longer.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:04 am 

The Yorktown class hull plan that Floating Drydock sells for $7 is in 1/96 scale and yes, it's BIG. Mine, rolled out, runs from the living room into the dining room! Someone asked about the W-CV5 set that FD sells in the Miscellaneous Drafters section. That is the Webb Warships 1/192 scale set, and is IMHO the best plan to buy for model building use. It is a retrace of the USN set of 5/40 (available on line in PDF) but cleaned up and made more user friendly for model builders. At $40 it is also the best buy for the money. You'll need the CV-8 book from Maryland Silver and a good knowledge of CV-6 & 8 mods to do the sisters (pre-blister on CV-6 of course), but this set gives you the basic pre-war Yorktown class.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am 

One of my staff is a model builder. He bought the new Tamiya 1/700 CV-5 and brought it into the office for me to look at the other day.
Attachment:
photo(13).JPG
photo(13).JPG [ 436.04 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
photo(18).JPG
photo(18).JPG [ 606.44 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: New planes - not clear plastic!!
photo(19).JPG
photo(19).JPG [ 284.14 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
photo(23).JPG
photo(23).JPG [ 618.87 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
photo(14).JPG
photo(14).JPG [ 472.47 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
photo(15).JPG
photo(15).JPG [ 549.68 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
photo(25).JPG
photo(25).JPG [ 701.5 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
photo(20).JPG
photo(20).JPG [ 564.83 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
photo(22).JPG
photo(22).JPG [ 574.08 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Attachment:
photo(16).JPG
photo(16).JPG [ 574.04 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Aside from the size issues, here are a few observations:

Looks like they re-tooled the hull slightly, as is now has a degaussing cable
New sprue includes new parts for the island, gun tubs and catwalks
New sprue for the aircraft - in regular, not clear, plastic!
All new instructions

Unfortunately, they continued the odd configuration of the 20mm guns on the catwalks - with small bumps for the pedestal and gun shields. Also, the splinter shields are still undersized.

While not perfect, it's a nicely molded little kit, and will probably building up into a nice little model, especially for the novice/casual builder who likes the history of the ship but perhaps is not as concerned with 100% accuracy.

Just my two cents...

Attachments:
photo(24).JPG
photo(24).JPG [ 444.29 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:13 pm 

Martin, the Tamiya hull was not retooled. It always had the degaussing cable molded in. Look closer and you will see it is the CV-6 configuration, not the CV-5 style. The island is not new, but from the CV-6 kit, except they added the walk-around in front of the pilot house that was a unique CV-5 modification. They failed to remove the port and forward sections of the flag bridge walk-around that should accompany that mod though. The rest of the ship is basically the CV-8 kit. Only the aircraft appear to be new.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sadly 90% of buyers will never notice the problems and buy anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:36 pm 

Martin,

I do like the view from your office. :cool_2:

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:45 pm 

Michael Vorrasi wrote:
Martin, the Tamiya hull was not retooled. It always had the degaussing cable molded in. Look closer and you will see it is the CV-6 configuration, not the CV-5 style.

Michael,

I never noticed the degaussing cable before - thanks.

The sprue contained a Yorktown nameplate, I made the assumption that it was new.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 37  Next