The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm 

I emailed Mark from Starfighter a couple of weeks back about Ranger decals, which he didn't have, but in conversation it turned out he does have 1/350 decals for pre-war Yorktown, though they are not listed on his site:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 am 
Michael Vorrasi wrote:
The Yorktown Class has long been saddled with an original sin...well not really a sin, but a mistake, that has plagued these ships since the late 1930's. The old actual OA length bugaboo. Was it 809 feet 9 inches or was it 824 feet 9 inches? It was actually the latter, 824 feet 9 inches OVERALL, AS BUILT, for all three. I will lay this goof to rest decisively, for all time, right now.

<snip>

On the 1940 plans for Yorktown it gives the frame links as 4 feet apart I believe. After that count the frames at the bottom of the profile plan. That should be all that's needed. Also in Yorktown's general comments up top of plan it gives the measurements of the ship from place to place like the keel up to the top points of the ship and gives waterline length as well as lengths of parts of the ship that extend like the aft flight deck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:12 pm 

When I read this report criticizing the effectiveness of the Measure 22 scheme, I noticed the following statement:

"At the time of her sinking, the USS YORKTOWN was painted Measure 22 with a Navy Blue band about thirty feet high above the water line."

What do you think about this? Is it just a mistake? Or does it mean the original 5-S blue band of the CV-5's Measure 12 scheme has been replaced with the 5-N and making it de-facto a Measure 22 scheme? (despite the Measure 22 itself has been officially introduced only in the in SHIPS-2 Rev. 2 dated June 1942)

Just building:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:15 am 

The text was written by Everett Warner, one of the main camoufleurs of the USN in both WWI and WWII. As one of the main designers of camouflage he had advance knowledge of upcoming directives, but he was also based in the East Coast (the Camouflage section was in DC but I'm not sure that he was there every day of the week.... operational documentation for the section isn't at Archives that anyone's found yet) and not out in Hawaii where Yorktown was operating from when lost. It's very likely that since Sea Blue was ordered replaced in November/December that he just made an assumption.

I have no proof either way.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:48 pm 

Hi folks,

I have been trolling the internet for information on the 'new' 1/200 scale Trumpeter Yorktown to find out if they did the proud old girl right and have not been able to find any out of box reviews or builds. Do any of you know if the new-ish kit is something resembling accurate? I would assume the CV-6 would have the same hull and many of the same parts but have not been able to find anything on her either.

I would appreciate any information you can give,

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:31 pm 

Chris,

I've inspected the kit, loaned to me by Martin Quinn, and taken many photos and plan on doing a review, but I've yet to have time to write it all down.

Long story short: This is a modified re-boxing of the 1/200 scale USS Hornet kit. The hull is much better than the old square-hull Yorktown and Hornet kits of various scales in resin and styrene, but it's not to the level of the recent 1/700 scale Trumpeter Yorktown and Enterprise, or the Merit 1/350th scale kits. A lot of the issues with it, which really aren't that egregious, would be hidden by doing a waterline build.

Other than the hull, the kit looks quite nice. The detail is decent, but certain areas will definitely benefit from aftermarket PE and resin additions.

Hope that helps.

-Devin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:34 pm 

Thanks Devin. I look forward to your complete review.

I have been thinking of getting this kit for a while now but have been holding off because of lack of information. I was actually thinking of doing a somewhat rough seascape so that might work well.

I actually just found your photos under the Review topic. I guess I missed that posting. Sorry for repeating the question here.

Take care,

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:37 am 

Tracy White wrote:
The text was written by Everett Warner...
I have no proof either way.

Thanks, Tracy.

I assume the (theoretical) repaint would be done only during a refit / repairs. If my information are correct, Yorktown was present at Pearl Harbor only after the Marshalls-Gilberts raids. However, I did not find any info whether she was drydocked but I assume not as she undertook no refit there.

After that, she returned to Pearl only after the Coral Sea. Despite she was drydocked, I doubt they focused on repaint during the famous three-day-rush.

So, my assumption is she was still wearing the 5-S band at the time of her sinking.

Just building:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:55 pm 

On page 49 of David Doyle's new book on The Hornet (CV-8), there is a picture of an BI radar antenna that was installed on the lower level of the fire control platform on the the tripod mast. Is it possible that this is the same type of mystery antenna that was installed on the forward part of Yorktown's funnel as shown in Steve Wipers Yorktown pictorial?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:51 pm 

Absolutely. Tracy White sent me some of Yorktown's documentation and one of the notations on page three of the departure report when Yorktown left Norfolk in December of '41 is "BI RADAR - completed".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:26 pm 

Thanks for the confirmation Dick. Not having my magnifying glass, it appeared they could be alike. I wonder if Tracy could pass that info along or is he using it for an upcoming project?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:48 pm 

USS Yorktown at Norfolk Navy Yard, November 1938. Note Enterprise in the foreground. Photo from National Archives NARA II, RG 71-CA (Yards and Docks), courtesy of Roger Torgeson.
Attachment:
USS Enterprise CV-6 71-CA box 339.jpg
USS Enterprise CV-6 71-CA box 339.jpg [ 369.88 KiB | Viewed 4698 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:14 pm 

What a great find! Thanks for sharing.

Is that a huge flag pole on the aft flight deck of Enterprise?

Episode 05: Builder's Trials
Guided Tour1: Hangar Deck

ESSEX CLASS TIMELINE
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 Operational History
USS Shangri La, 1945 in Color

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:39 am 

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is a temporary radio mast. You can see one on Yorktown, as well, in the famous drydock photo of her at Pearl before Midway.

And thanks to Roger for sharing the photo, and Martin for posting it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:41 am 

I've just checked the builder's plans and it's there labeled as a mast for an anchor light.

It's an unusual aspect of the ship. I'd love to have a larger resolution of this photo.

Episode 05: Builder's Trials
Guided Tour1: Hangar Deck

ESSEX CLASS TIMELINE
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 Operational History
USS Shangri La, 1945 in Color

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:58 pm 

Charybdis PM just sent on getting a larger copy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:32 pm 

Charybdis wrote:
Quote:
I've just checked the builder's plans and it's there labeled as a mast for an anchor light.

This is not an unusual detail. I've noticed on quite a few Booklet of General Plans of battleships (especially) that there is shown a mast with usually 3 lights that is added somewhere on the bridge of the ship which, in reality, is never actually constructed as shown or in the very least, is the builder's way of adding the usual navigation lights on a temporary basis (say thru acceptance trials) and then struck when the lamps are permanently placed in their normal positions on yardarms and pole mast extensions, etc.

Obviously in the late '30s and way before RADAR masts came into being, this temporary anchor light mast was erected to serve that purpose on carriers coming out of yard maintenance when extensive work or modernization occurred.

Builder's yard:
USS STODDARD (DD-566) 66-68 1:144, Various Lg Scale FC Directors
Finished:
USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 1:200
USN Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) 1:48
ROYAL CAROLINE (1748) 1:47
AVS (1768) 1:48

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:03 am 

The temporary mast was a permanent feature used by the ships at times when transiting without aircraft operations or in port. You can see photos of this on other ships such as
CV-1 Langley or this on of CV-4 Ranger. It was retractable in most ships.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:42 pm 

Added a list of available kits and gallery entries to the first page

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:31 pm 

Dear all
I finally managed to enter the forum ( THANK YOU OWNER)..
I will introduce myself.
My name is Gregory l live in Belgium I won't consider myself an expert but i really enjoy making models and dioramas
recently l made dioramas in scale 1/35 representing actual events either in Korea Vietnam or Desert Storm

soooo after a little research l decided to make a ship and my choice went to USS YORKTOWN CV5
I decided to represent the battle of Coral Sea... and the moment when Yorktown sealed back to Pearl Harbor....so i' consulting here to find inspiration and information.
Have a nice evening
Greg

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 737 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 37  Next