The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:48 pm 

Dick J wrote:
They contain sky lookout positions similar to these on the Portland:

Fascinating!! I have never noticed those on Yorktown before now. I've seen them on CV6 but didn't think a lot about it until I saw Tracy's pic and remembered the Ballard pic and the PH CV6 pic.

Thanks again Dick J!!! I learn something new here everyday thanks to you and the other guys as well!!! :worship_1:

Kelley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:08 pm 

Just some more information on them - the basic design was approved and ordered in November of 1940. L'Arsenal makes some in 1/350.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:22 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Just some more information on them - the basic design was approved and ordered in November of 1940.

:thumbs_up_1: Thanks Tracy!!! The memo and the pics included are greatly informative!!! The bicycle or motorcycle seats portion of the memo reminded me of the lookout locations I saw in the closed off section of Alabama's (BB60) conning tower lookout section. Not enough room there to accommodate the structure as described in your document, but the adjustable seats are definitely a decedent of that design verbiage. The elbow rest seemed to be welded onto the wall of the tower structure and I'm sure they must have been padded at the time.

Tracy White wrote:
L'Arsenal makes some in 1/350.

Looks like I'm gonna break the wallet again! :big_grin:

Thanks again!

Kelley

Last edited by TOMLABEL on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:43 am 

Charybdis wrote:
Hi there, I'm working on a pixel drawing of Yorktown and Enterprise and wondered if I could pick your brains. Did they have Mk 33 directors as built and where's the best place to I get a detailed drawing of them? Thanks.

Very, very nice artwork Charybdis!! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:23 am 

TOMLABEL wrote:
Does anyone know what these structures are located on the top back half of the pilot house on either side? You can see them in the pic that Tracy White posted recently and in the Ballard pic. In the Ballard pic (taken a somewhat of a higher level than the pilot house) you can see a shadow cast on it from the main shielding. They look to be kind of an angular enclosures - not quite circular. In the Midway Yorktown pic, taken from the bow looking aft, it seems like there is quite a congregation around these two sections of these structures.

I also see that CV6 had similar structures on top of the pilot house from the PH 1942 pic.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Can't see what is behind the shield on CV-6 but the aft most arrow is pointing to a Pelorus. Probably the aft item on the CV-5 shot too. As for the center item atop CV-5's pilothouse, it appears to be the same antenna that CV-8 had in the same spot. I have not yet been able to identify it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:06 am 

Michael Vorrasi wrote:
Can't see what is behind the shield on CV-6 but the aft most arrow is pointing to a Pelorus.

Hi Mike!
I see the starboard pelorus you are speaking of, but the structure I'm referring to is on the port side of the top of the pilot house (right above the pelorus in the picture, but more distant).

Michael Vorrasi wrote:
As for the center item atop CV-5's pilothouse, it appears to be the same antenna that CV-8 had in the same spot. I have not yet been able to identify it.

Excellent!!! Thanks for that information!! I noticed that in Tracy's pic he posted, but wasn't sure if it was just a blur or something else. I never knew before now that anything was in that area on Yorktown. Did Enterprise have that antenna in the same location? All of this is very interesting!!

Kelley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:09 pm 

I have found a pic where you can clearly see the port side sky lookout position atop the pilot house on page 53 ('Below right:' pic) in the new Warship Pictorial #44 USS YORKTOWN CV5 by Steve Wiper.

It is taken from behind the tripod mast looking downward towards the forward flight deck. The position is manned and looks like an angular enclosure with what looks like a small opening for entry on the right side of the structure. The sky lookout shielding is clearly a little higher than the pilot house top shielding and the port side of the structure angles outward somewhat.

If you look at the Yorktown PH drydock picture, you can see the same slight angle of the starboard side lookout position jutting out a bit further than the pilot house shielding.

Awesome!!

Thanks, Steve!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm 

Going back to the discussion of the bridge wings that were hinged to fold to the aft, I found a picture on-line that shows Yorktown's starboard wing folded back during Midway (see white arrow). This explains why it wasn't visible from the photo taken from bow looking aft after attack.

Attachments:
CV5 Strbd Wing.jpg
CV5 Strbd Wing.jpg [ 95.71 KiB | Viewed 1489 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:38 pm 

I posted this in the CASF Enterprise section and it hasn't gotten any replies so I thought maybe I"d post it here too before posting on the main forum.

So this may be a dumb question, but I figured this would be the place to ask. I acquired a Tamiya 1/700 USS Yorktown and was curious what would need to be done to build her as Enterprise in 1941? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:23 pm 

When Tom referred to the photo on page 53 of the new Warship Profile #44 on another subject it dawned on me this is only the second picture showing this part of the forward flight deck that should be able to show the thin centerline dash markings on the flight deck. The other photo I posted back on June 4 of last year. The Warship Profile is at a lower angle that makes them nearly impossible or impossible to see with the naked eye - but sure enough when I got out a quality magnifying glass they are there but hard to see given the resolution of the published photo. I wonder what the exact shade of gray these are as they easily disappear given distance, lighting and angle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:13 pm 

ArizonaBB39 wrote:
I posted this in the CASF Enterprise section and it hasn't gotten any replies so I thought maybe I"d post it here too before posting on the main forum.

So this may be a dumb question, but I figured this would be the place to ask. I acquired a Tamiya 1/700 USS Yorktown and was curious what would need to be done to build her as Enterprise in 1941? Thanks

Short answer is: lots. The answer is on the CASF threads for all of the YORKTOWN class. The questions has been asked a few times, but you'll need to read back through each of the three threads to find it. If memory serves, your best place to start is right at the beginning of the thread because when the threads were started, there were no plastic 1/350th kits (just expensive resin ones) so most of the discussion of what to do to which plastic kit was discussion of 1/700th models. Among other things you'll find the Tamiya models are undersized (1/720 something if I recall Mike Vorrasi's comments). Take the time to dig through the threads and you'll learn a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:49 pm 
TOMLABEL wrote:
Michael Vorrasi wrote:
Can't see what is behind the shield on CV-6 but the aft most arrow is pointing to a Pelorus.

Hi Mike!
I see the starboard pelorus you are speaking of, but the structure I'm referring to is on the port side of the top of the pilot house (right above the pelorus in the picture, but more distant).

Michael Vorrasi wrote:
As for the center item atop CV-5's pilothouse, it appears to be the same antenna that CV-8 had in the same spot. I have not yet been able to identify it.

Excellent!!! Thanks for that information!! I noticed that in Tracy's pic he posted, but wasn't sure if it was just a blur or something else. I never knew before now that anything was in that area on Yorktown. Did Enterprise have that antenna in the same location? All of this is very interesting!!

This picture is of Hornet not Enterprise. Look at the camo on the front of the island! This is most likely a surface search radar.
Kelley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:04 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Advice is appreciated:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=161238&p=685359#p685359

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:44 pm 

Well, for one, if the Manufacturers section prunes, I'd say pop the stuff in here directly so that future readers don't wonder what the post was all about.

As far as I know, the only real thing we got grossly wrong with the CV-5 island was the angled cut for the aft crane. What are you trying to fix aside from the width issue?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:18 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Well, for one, if the Manufacturers section prunes, I'd say pop the stuff in here directly so that future readers don't wonder what the post was all about.

As far as I know, the only real thing we got grossly wrong with the CV-5 island was the angled cut for the aft crane. What are you trying to fix aside from the width issue?

Hi Tracy,
I don't want to speak for Steve, but I think the main reason for these islands it to upgrade the 700 Tamiya and 480 (or whatever) Revell kits. The 350 version will be excellent to have as well.

While the Merit CV5 island is the best I've seen yet :thumbs_up_1: , there are a couple things that I would like to see added or corrected.

Kelley

Last edited by TOMLABEL on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:30 am, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:29 pm 

Tracy White wrote:

Tracy, I think Steve is working on 1/200 CV-5 and 6 islands to convert the Trumpy 1/200 Hornet, not for the Merit kit, which I agree, is basically fine save a little filing for the crane notch on the aft corner for the CV-5 kit, and maybe a piece of Evergreen strip here and there to tweak it (Basic Modelling Skills, Kelley!) The Merit CV-6 island notch was corrected. If Steve is doing 1/487 islands for Revell and 1/719 for Tamiya that is good too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:46 pm 

Absolutely Mike, and hope I didn't step on any toes here!!! :wave_1:

As I have said before many times, I am extremely excited, thrilled, and relieved that I finally have a 350 CV5 & 6 plastic kit that I have waited and hoped for for at least 30 years. And thanks to you guys, it is now a reality. So my appreciation for what you guys were able to do is endless.

Kelley

Last edited by TOMLABEL on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:03 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Tracy White wrote:

Aye, Cap'n!

Designs for 3D printed Yorktown class islands for all three ships are in development, starting with early war Yorktown and Enterprise. Any advice as these island designs mature is appreciated.

Tracy White wrote:

I hope to offer islands in several scales to compliment existing kits, mostly for Revell, Tamiya, Trumpeter, etc. as Mike pointed out, and designs for different periods, if there is enough reference material for it. The kits in 1/487, 1/700 and 1/719, as good as they are, could use some help.

For the 1/350 Merit Yorktown, I hope to offer a Hornet island to compliment the hull which is much better shaped than the Trumpeter kit's.

I'm a big fan of the Merit kit and wish I had a couple.

Hope this pleases.

Attachments:
Yorktown CV-5 class islands.a.jpg
Yorktown CV-5 class islands.a.jpg [ 141.34 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]
Yorktown CV-5 class islands.b.jpg
Yorktown CV-5 class islands.b.jpg [ 113.83 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:16 pm 

My 1/350th bias is coloring my thinking, I completely didn't think about any of the other scales. :doh_1:

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 pm 

Was just putting together some info to pass along to Steve on HORNET and I noticed something that may be well known, but I haven't seen any mention of it. So at the risk of hearing this is already well known, I'll say that it appears HORNET's tripod mast is further aft of the tripod masts on the two sister ships. How far? Looks like 8 - 10' - I'm having a little trouble matching it to frame markings. I noticed it when I used a light table and laid my Webb's Warships CV-5 plans (scaled to 1/350) on top of my MD Silver plans for CV-8 (also scaled to 1/350). All major details and assemblies on both islands align - except the tripod and its platforms. Roger, I know HORNET's spotting platforms were a bit different - that's not the source of the offset. When looking at either set of plan's view of the pilothouse roof, and comparing the forward (of the three) mast location, on CV-5 it is forward of the two MG mounts and slightly forward of the aft end of PriFly. On HORNET, this same mast is aft of the two MG mounts and well aft of the aft end of PriFly. Another good point of comparison in the starboard profile view is that CV-5's forward leg of the tripod is well forward of the vertical pole of the boat crane, on CV-8 the same mast pole is aligned vertically with the boat crane pole. As I said, everything else is aligned on the two plans as far as major stuff.
Feedback welcome - like to give Steve the most accurate info possible. Scans I have made are way too large a pixel count to post, unfortunately.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 730 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 37  Next