The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:39 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

I may be thinking of a different book. I'll look at the Yorktown offerings on Amazon and see if anything there rings a bell.

Whichever book it was, I highly recommend it.

Cheers!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:22 pm 

ModelMonkey wrote:
I may be thinking of a different book. I'll look at the Yorktown offerings on Amazon and see if anything there rings a bell.

Whichever book it was, I highly recommend it.

Cheers!

In regards to paint removal -

I looked through the Cressman book and don't see anything. I remember seeing that or at least something similar. I like to think I have a copy of every book that is specifically on the Yorktown, but not sure. My next thought was that I read about it in a strictly narrative work, so I looked at my old book "Rendezvous at Midway" by Frank. I leafed through the pages from Dec 7 to Pearl Harbor when she departed for Midway. No luck.

I also remember reading somewhere it was common at the outbreak of war to get rid of all the layers of peacetime paint if possible, as well as wood furniture. I would guess that would not be universal, just common.

Unfortunately all my books are scattered in stacks pending me getting my butt moving on my built in shelves for my library. I will try to look some more though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:07 pm 

Dear all ....
l’m almost ready to place some watertight doors....are there specific differences or any type will do??
I will be more specific some models are for inside and some are for the outside can u help me?
Thanks in advance

Attachments:
infimp35028r1b__74498.1612227033.jpg
infimp35028r1b__74498.1612227033.jpg [ 71.57 KiB | Viewed 6501 times ]
infimp35028r1c__69139.1612227034.jpg
infimp35028r1c__69139.1612227034.jpg [ 75.46 KiB | Viewed 6501 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:25 pm 

Trying to find a good clear photo of the supports under the catapult of Yorktown as I feel Merit got them wrong on their 1/350 kit. I believe they are large pipes/ tubes and not what they are depicted to be on the kit. The best I have been able to see is in David Doyle's 'Legends of Warfare' book and unfortunately, I am unable to clear pic of what is there. Anyone have better info? Thanks, Jon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:06 pm 

Thank you for your reply. If it is ok, I would like to post a scanned image I took from David Doyle's Legends of Warfare in regard to the area I am talking about. If not ok, I will remove it.

Attachments:
Yorktown cat sponson crop.jpg
Yorktown cat sponson crop.jpg [ 221.48 KiB | Viewed 6104 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:06 pm 

Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Trying to find a good clear photo of the supports under the catapult of Yorktown as I feel Merit got them wrong on their 1/350 kit. I believe they are large pipes/ tubes and not what they are depicted to be on the kit. The best I have been able to see is in David Doyle's 'Legends of Warfare' book and unfortunately, I am unable to clear pic of what is there. Anyone have better info? Thanks, Jon

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collec ... 50336.html

Before catapult platform installation:

CV-5

Hornet CV-8:

•Battleship Bretagne 3D: https://vu.fr/FvCY
•SS Delphine 3D: https://vu.fr/NeuO
•SS Nomadic 3D: https://vu.fr/tAyL
•USS Nokomis 3D: https://vu.fr/kntC
•USS Pamanset 3D: https://vu.fr/jXGQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:19 am 

I can't find a photo of that specific area in any of my books or the photos I've saved from the web over the past 20+ years.

However, in the photo of her in dry dock at Pearl, you can see a catapult support platform on the starboard side, which looks very close to that Hornet photo. I assume they'd have the same structure under them both port and starboard.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:41 am 

Thanks again for the replies. What I am trying to figure out is if the whole catapult structure in 1942 was being supported with let say for the sake of argument with seven to eight 12-inch diameter pipe supports or where there metal gussets that were between the so-called pipes and the bottom of the catapult platform like what you see with the kit. Wish I was better at computers as I would try to come up with a drawing to better illustrate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:19 am 

I don't think the resolution is there to be of any help and I know most of the shots aren't of the "right" side but I'll try and take a look tonight at my NARA high-resolution scans of her loss to see if there's anything of help.
My take was that the smaller protrusion was simply "built around" with a larger platfor with beam supports underneath.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:32 am 

Tracy White wrote:
I don't think the resolution is there to be of any help and I know most of the shots aren't of the "right" side but I'll try and take a look tonight at my NARA high-resolution scans of her loss to see if there's anything of help.
My take was that the smaller protrusion was simply "built around" with a larger platfor with beam supports underneath.

I am of the same opinion in regard to resolution and the platform. What got me wondering was how they were going about running the degaussing cables underneath the catapult.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:59 pm 

OK, I have a scan of 80-G-21694 from a trip to NARA a number of years ago that I have played with. NHHC has a copy here if you want to see the full photo:

Attachment:
80-G-21694 Cropped & Levelled.jpg
80-G-21694 Cropped & Levelled.jpg [ 44.53 KiB | Viewed 9698 times ]

Unfortunately playing with the levels in Photoshop to lighten things up reveals no detail in the shadows. I suspect this is a copy of a copy (maybe of a copy...) which will make the darks darker and the lights lighter and tends to obliterate details in the high and low ranges. It's possible that the negative would have better detail, but since they're still closed enough that we don't have a trip on the horizon I can't say that I'll be able to provide anything in a timely fashion.

I have some drawings of CV-5 and -6 from the microfilm there but this platform was not one of the details I came across (26 rolls, I had time for 5-6 of them).

I have some other potential photos I'll look for tonight.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:37 am 

Tracy,

Don't count on the 80-G negative for 80-G-21694 being any better. I tried scanning several WWII era and earlier negatives in hopes of getting "better" images, and found that these 80-G negatives are simply the camera photo "copy negatives" of the same 80-G print on the caption cards. Actually I could see parts of the mounting card in the negatives image. I have a strong suspicion that most if not ALL of the WWII 80-G negatives are the same copy negatives.

Now then, the post-WWII era negatives may well be original negatives since they were turned in to NPC.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:01 am 

Does this image answer your question? I made two cropped views of this famous photo of USS YORKTOWN in drydock. The second crop view is of the area of interest. To me, I think I can see the degaussing cables "are fed through" the supports and the supports look like they are beams to me. But there appears to be a "raft/float" or something there as well. That would make more sense than "pipes", from experience in looking at how the USN made most supports. Plus beams, either "I-beams" or "U or channel" beams, are easier to get and work with. Likely three or five beams would be used.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:02 am 

Devin wrote:
Steve,

I've read that book many times over the years, but I don't recall a passage like that. I'd have to check. I'd be very interested in finding such an account, the only thing that comes to mind along those lines are descriptions of ships removing linoleum, carpeting and furniture after the Battle of Savo Island, as those items fueled the fires on the cruisers lost there.

-Devin

I want to say this passage is in "The Big E" by Stafford.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:12 am 

If I choose the CV8 route, I will be doing much the same kind of project as you are working to achieve, but of a "Doolittle" Hornet en route just before April 18, 1942. Like you, I'll want date-specific information on the a/c populating her flight deck, as well as their placement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:14 am 

Jon C Ryckert wrote:
Thank you for your reply. If it is ok, I would like to post a scanned image I took from David Doyle's Legends of Warfare in regard to the area I am talking about. If not ok, I will remove it.

I had a "derp" moment earlier and realized that I hadn't really paid attention to this photo earlier. Since David's a friend of mine, why not just ask him if he'd be willing to give me a copy of the photo in question to crop in and post:

Attachment:
Via David Doyle please support him and buy his books he's a good guy.jpg
Via David Doyle please support him and buy his books he's a good guy.jpg [ 225.52 KiB | Viewed 9525 times ]

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:27 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Second that!

David Doyle is a good guy and his publications are terrific. Please support him. And Steve Wiper, too.

And I'm pretty fond of what that guy over at Researcher@large does for us.

Attachments:
giphy (1).gif
giphy (1).gif [ 303.89 KiB | Viewed 9507 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:58 pm 

That's why this is a good community - back atcha! (I do intend to get back on Salem when it gets above freezing in my garage)

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:39 pm 

Silly question time; are there any drawings out there that clearly show where all the associated island rigging goes? I'm looking specifically for USS Hornet data, but any info from the class would also be good. Thanks a bunch,

30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!

Post subject: Trumpeter 1/200 Yorktown
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:44 pm 

I currently have the 1/200 Yorktown and want to model her in Coral Sea/Midway configuration. My query is PE sets available for this model. I vaguely remember one being available, but all I'm seeing now is only for the Enterprise and Hornet. Does anyone know if MK1 Designs(KA Models) is planning on releasing a set for it, and alternatively will the Enterprise set or Hornet(although a later appearance) work fit-wise, etc?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next