The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:58 pm 

Funny, I have that Model Art book and never noticed the blister. :huh: That one's at least 10 years old, too. These are good references.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:30 pm 

Thank Peppe for photos. :smallsmile:

I think that based on existing photos and film we are not able to verify how the blisters precisely looked. Mayby Japanese authors had some additional documentation and used it to create these drawings, but I believe it is only attempt of reconstruction.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:14 pm 

Probably true, but not certainly.

I've had another look at both the Model Art drawing and the Gakken art - I did not realize that both showed a set of blisters to the rear as well, covering the rear avgas tanks. What is notable about the Model Art drawing is that it also shows the repositioned Type 94 HA director on the port side.

Now, this is very notable because this is more than 10 years ago, before this aspect became more widely acknowledged. Someone was paying attention, and I would have to give some serious creedence to the depiction of the blisters. It is possible that there is additonal documentation out there, just privately held.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:44 pm 

I think Fujimi surely knows about blisters, but decided not to create new hull for Zuikaku or blisters as separate parts because it is not economical. Correcting this will be the biggest task for modeller, if one wants to build accurate late 1944 version.
Rest of errors in kit should be easier to fix (for exemple there are four type 94 HA director on sprues). :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:01 am 

Four small blisters to add on would not have been expensive. They appear identical - one mold would have done it. Fujimi is just assuming no one will notice - poor regard for their customer base.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:57 am 

Why are these blisters blunt ended? Could they not fair over the blunt end for less drag?

In any case, they should not be difficult to scratch build from a stack of styrene sheets cut to shape, glued to the hull, and smoothed with a little bit of putty.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 pm 

I've no clue on the shape. I suspect they were in a rush, and wanted to use as little material as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:14 pm 

It is interesting that Morskaya Collectyia is showing two different shapes for blisters. I would trust Japanese sources most, but drawing from Model Art is not showing underwater. What about Gakken ? (unfortunately I don't have this publication :( ).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:05 am 

You posted the cover of the Gakken vol on the last page, no? Underwater shape of the rear blister is the same as the front - rounded corners off a rectangular shape.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:26 am 

Dan K wrote:
You posted the cover of the Gakken vol on the last page, no?

I do not have this volume :(, I found this cover on the internet. Thank you for info.

Something for all Shokaku class fans :) - excellent build of Fujimi kit by Korean modeller:

IJN Shokaku (Fujimi 1/350)

One can also see in-progress photos and very nice Akagi and Mutsu.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:38 am 

I recieved my 1/350 Zuikaku today, and when going through the box, found a fret of etch that I didn't recognize. It's not the arresting wires, but another, with a large piece, looking somewhat like a non slip material. I can't find it anywhere in the instructions? Any clues?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 pm 

I don't have this kit but, from what I call tell, at least part of this fret (S?) has mounts and treaded plate platform for the AA rockets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:42 pm 

Hmmh, maybe, but the larger part seem to be a floor part or something. Can't find any references to it in the instructions.

I took a picture with my iPhone, so the quality isn't that good, but here it is....:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:55 am 

I too just got the Fujimi Zuikaku. The large PE piece is a overlay over the aftermost section of the flight deck. There is a small cutout on one side for the crane, which should help with placement. I suspect it was done to avoid tooling up a new flightdeck. Now if anyone can identify the rest of the pieces on this fret..very annoying they put it in the kit without direction. I THINK the long pieces might be to fill in the huge flight deck expansion joints, although if so they don't take into account the island area.
I'm still trying to decide if the wooden deck is worth it for this model in it's camo form. I can't tell if the tan portions of the flight deck were painted or just the unpainted wood. I got the Wood deck for the Shokaku and I think it will look good but it's a lot of money to paint it all green on Zuikaku.

Ned Wilson

and Very Fire PE, Model Monkey parts
1/350 Fujimi Shokaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:48 am 

Edward Wilson wrote:
I too just got the Fujimi Zuikaku. The large PE piece is a overlay over the aftermost section of the flight deck. There is a small cutout on one side for the crane, which should help with placement. I suspect it was done to avoid tooling up a new flightdeck. Now if anyone can identify the rest of the pieces on this fret..very annoying they put it in the kit without direction. I THINK the long pieces might be to fill in the huge flight deck expansion joints, although if so they don't take into account the island area.
I'm still trying to decide if the wooden deck is worth it for this model in it's camo form. I can't tell if the tan portions of the flight deck were painted or just the unpainted wood. I got the Wood deck for the Shokaku and I think it will look good but it's a lot of money to paint it all green on Zuikaku.

Ned Wilson

Thanks! Makes sense.I should have thought of that... :doh_1:

And yes, I agree that it's annoying that they completely missed out on any instructions for the etch. The only reason that I can think of is that the inclusion of the etch was a late decision. It looks good, though.
I bought the wooden deck unseen, in the hope that it would come either prepainted or with reasonable instructions for painting the camo. Sadly, non of it came true. But I will use it anyway, because I feel that it will giva more convincing surface, and the etched parts for the elvators are very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:57 am 

Yes, the long pieces are for the expansions joints (they come with the Shokaku kit). I can't imagine why there was a need for the metal plating piece - there no difference with Shokaku in this part of the flight deck.

I did buy the wooden deck for Shokaku but, I doubt I would have purchased it for Zuikaku. No certainty whether the tan camo was unpainted or not - probably not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:33 am 

Where on the Shokaku are the landings light arrays placed? The PE that comes with the kit and the supplemental PE sets do not seem to have the folding arms normally used on IJN carriers for carrying lights.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:51 am 

Both sets are in the vicinity of the aft elevator. On the port side, there is a short "platform" just under flight deck level (one of several that line each side - this one is the 2nd from end) for deck handlers to duck out of the way. At the fore end of this platform, the 4 light display is placed, at the aft end is the two light display.

To starboard, the displays are mounted on either side of the aft most shielded 25mm triple mount. Again, the larger light display is forward.

The arrays are mounted partially to the edge and underside of the flight deck. In actuality, they could also swivel inwoard when not in use, I believe.

You can just make them out in the cutaway view from the Futubasha 3D CG pic posted on P1 of this thread..

HTH.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:11 pm 

Did the section of the flight deck with the red and white strips have tread patterns on them?

Also, I believe the walls and ceilings of the hanger deck were painted white. But were the walls of the elevator shafts also painted white? Some photos of other IJN carriers in which the elevators are down does not seem to me to show white elevator wells. Also, some plans of the hanger deck seem to show that the elevator wells can be closed off from the hanger proper by doors. The molded elevator wells that comes with the Fujimi kit can't be right because I don't think the walls of the elevator wells can follow the corner curves of the elevators to meet the doors. If it did it would substantially constrict the entrance to the elevators and prevent the full width of the elevator from being used. Is there any pictures or illustrations showing the doors that leads from the hangers to the elevator shafts?

I intend to open up the three big garage style doors leading to the engine test platform on the port quarter of the ship to afford some view into the hanger.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:45 pm 

Yes to treading on the flight deck round down at the rear. See photo below of that area on Shokaku, post Santa Cruz damage

No to white on the exposed walls of the elevator shaft. The molded curves need to cut away - that was done to ease the tooling for the kit and has no basis in reality. No photos of this area, including the doors, that I know of - the Futubasha 3D CG illustrations seems to be the best representation.

There's that photo of Junyo being scrapped which shows a vertical protuding structure at the corners of the elevator that might have housed the folding door.

Good thought on opening up the engine test stand doors. I have the same plan.

Attachments:
Shokaku stern flight deck damage, Coral Sea, May 1942.jpg
Shokaku stern flight deck damage, Coral Sea, May 1942.jpg [ 112.17 KiB | Viewed 12716 times ]
Junyo scrapping 1947.jpg
Junyo scrapping 1947.jpg [ 109.37 KiB | Viewed 12716 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next