The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:43 am 

I don't have the new Fujimi kit (only the new Aoshima version) but I would think it pretty straightforward.

The Ikoma would have differed visually only in that her funnels would have been spaced further apart (probably just the rear one)to reflect reorganized machinery.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:47 pm 

OK,also I'm going to bought the aoshima amagi for one of the unbuilt unryu hull (n°5002)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:30 am 

it seem that 16 ship were considered,got to wonder were that 15 come from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unry%C5%A ... ft_carrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:03 am 

Unryu was originally authorized under the Fifth Naval Armaments Supplement Program of 1941: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_ ... _Programme

In the wake of the Midway disaster, those plans were recast to include the other sisters (Modified 5th Naval Armaments Supplement Programme):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_ ... _Programme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:58 am 

thebunkerparodie wrote:
how hard is it to build the fujimi unryu class kit (I want to use one for one of the unbuilt unryu)

I built the Fujimi kit (late version). I think it is excellent!
The moulding quality is top notch and the detail is very fine. I compared it to many photo's of Amagi and it turned out very accurate. The things I needed to correct were details that differed between the two sisters, so I would say the kit is as accurate for Unryu as it gets.
I find it hard to say how difficult it is to build, because this depends on what you find difficult. It has many small parts, but the engineering is excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:30 pm 
gscott wrote:
Very interesting reasoning, Dan. I'm firmly in the camp that Taiho did have a wooden deck. It certainly would be another great discovery if somehow you were able to put together enough evidence to support your theory on Unryu (I'm rooting for you). I guess the eventual lack of deck material would have occurred sometime between Taiho and Shinano's completion dates. Did the appearance of the latex deck material coincide with the IJN's adaptation of the green camoflage scheme for all carriers? Just wondering if Unryu might have been completed with standard gray hull and wood deck before a decision was reached to entirely repaint her? Also, were there any differences in the camoflage patterns applied to the flight decks of the three completed Unryus?

(As an aside, does anyone else find it somewhat absurd that IJN applied those merchantile/oiler silhouettes to the sides of the carriers, as somehow US aircraft and submarines WOULDN'T attack them!?)

-Greg

Also when you look at the coverings for post refit Essex CV's the Latex flight Deck coating was put on over the wood on the flight deck. I saw this on Bennington when I helped rig her for tow to be scrapped. I believe this latex coating in the same coating Japan used for their CV's and the US learned about it during the post war period and tried it out. Of course latter moving to NONSKID. Same surface they use today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:32 am 

That may or may not be true. The postwar US NavTech reports weren't that impressed with the covering, but that was in the age of prop aircraft. It's possible that the USN took a page from the IJN in this instance, or just re-invented the wheel on their own. Impossible to say.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:32 pm 

What's the verdict on Aoshima vs Skywave for their latest generation Unryu class kits?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 am 

I can't give an objective answer, as I sold off my Pit-road kit when I purchased the Aoshima kit. If nothing else, the Aoshima kit comes with a hangar deck, which was a big plus to me.

IIRC, Martin Quinn was not thrilled with his Pit-Road build, but that might have been due more to the camo decals rather than its fit.

FWIW, not Aoshima but a comparison of the Fujimi vs Pitroad kits here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=157028

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:43 am 

Dan K wrote:
If nothing else, the Aoshima kit comes with a hangar deck, which was a big plus to me.

The Pit-road kit also comes with both levels of the hangar (upper full length, tubs for the lower). The engineering is different to Aoshima but the end result looks equivalent to me, at least from browsing the instructions. The hangar is precisely the reason I'm looking at these kits, the Fujimi doesn't interest me.

I've been hunting pictures of built models of the Pit-road and Aoshima, but they're either drowned in upgrades or not closely photographed, so it's hard to compare e.g. the molding quality of raised details.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:01 pm 

Dan K wrote:
IIRC, Martin Quinn was not thrilled with his Pit-Road build, but that might have been due more to the camo decals rather than its fit.

It was due to the TONS of flash and the poor fit. It's a shelf queen now.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:15 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
It was due to the TONS of flash and the poor fit. It's a shelf queen now.

Ouch, that doesn't sound great, thanks for letting me know!

Can you confirm the extent of the parts for the hangar decks?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6