The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:11 pm 

I saw that the Triumph 1940 Glorious kits very aft deck was planked? If so, would Courageous be the same as well??

Bob Pink :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:01 pm 

Courageous' quarterdeckwas planked (see, for example, https://i2.wp.com/www.destinationsjourn ... ous-18.jpg). Not sure about the level above, but from this photo, that also seems to be planked. Note that the configuration of the two sisters differed after Glorious' 1934-35 refit, when her quarterdeck, and the two 4.7" HA gunds, were raised one level (the revised arrangement appears to be the one represented in the Triumph kit - Courageous never had this alteration, nor the extended flight deck visible in the Triumph photos).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:17 pm 

Good eye Tim! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: I didn't make that out by looking at the photo. So, I think I'll be adding a v-grooved deck to my Courageous. Thank you again!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:49 pm 

Does anyone know what color Courageous’flight deck was at the time of her loss?

BobPink :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:37 pm 

Images of the upcoming Triumph Glorious. Apologies I can not give credit to the builder as I did not get their name.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:51 pm 

I think that this is one nice looking kit! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:03 am 

Looking for some information on the ready use ammunition lockers for the 4.7” HA on HMS Glorious. I am slogging my way through the Triumph Model’s kit and think the ready use ammunition lockers for the bow and stern pairs of 4.7” lack detail, and I want to check their location. I have been searching through various photos with plenty of pictures of these guns but for the bow pair only 1 photo of Courageous seems to show such lockers (which look similar to the small and medium lockers used for 4” HA on other RN ships) but the photo isn’t exactly clear. All the other photos I have seen are quite detailed but don’t seem to show anything that could be a ready use locker. I have drawn a complete blank on the stern pair. Anyone able to help please? Looking for 1938 fit but all info gratefully received.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:13 pm 

Gcj

The Fleet Air Arm Museum (FAAM) has a large model of HMS GLORIOUS that was built by the famous model-maker Norman A Ough. They may be able to help you with digital photographs of the areas of the ship that you are interested in. Otherwise your best bet will be the Historic Photographs and Ships Plans section at the National Maritime Museum (NMM). They should have her "as fitted" drawings and possibly a number of photographs. If you live in the UK the FAAM and NMM would be worth a visit: the NMM, of course, by prior arrangement.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 5:12 pm 

Gcj wrote:
Looking for some information on the ready use ammunition lockers for the 4.7” HA on HMS Glorious. I am slogging my way through the Triumph Model’s kit and think the ready use ammunition lockers for the bow and stern pairs of 4.7” lack detail, and I want to check their location. I have been searching through various photos with plenty of pictures of these guns but for the bow pair only 1 photo of Courageous seems to show such lockers (which look similar to the small and medium lockers used for 4” HA on other RN ships) but the photo isn’t exactly clear. All the other photos I have seen are quite detailed but don’t seem to show anything that could be a ready use locker. I have drawn a complete blank on the stern pair. Anyone able to help please? Looking for 1938 fit but all info gratefully received.

Attachments:
Admiral piped aboad.jpg
Admiral piped aboad.jpg [ 145.85 KiB | Viewed 1221 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:55 am 

81542 wrote:
Gcj

The Fleet Air Arm Museum (FAAM) has a large model of HMS GLORIOUS that was built by the famous model-maker Norman A Ough. They may be able to help you with digital photographs of the areas of the ship that you are interested in. Otherwise your best bet will be the Historic Photographs and Ships Plans section at the National Maritime Museum (NMM). They should have her "as fitted" drawings and possibly a number of photographs. If you live in the UK the FAAM and NMM would be worth a visit: the NMM, of course, by prior arrangement.

Thanks, I keep forgetting about Ough's model and I only live 20 minutes from the FAAM. Actually last time I visited the model was looking rather sad with some losses and in need of some TLC. Needless to say the photos I took dont help - the problems of low light shooting through perspex. So another trip beckons.

Wont help on the quaterdeck much as the model is pre 35 refit.

On the other hand
iangazeley thank you. Best photo of the quarterdeck I have seen. I shall have fun interpretting that. Interesting to note the wooden planking extends all the way to the rear elevator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:01 am 

Gcj,

No doubt Ough's model is now in need of TLC and understandably, model ship restoration is not prominent profession. I therefore doubt if the FAAM has anyone devoted to the work. Your best and probably now, only bet, is to consider a visit to the NMM. I suggest that you contact it first to establish what they have and take it from there.