The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:46 pm 

Steve

I'm using the Corsair Armada resin 1/700 kit with 3dmodelparts 0.50" machine guns (Wasp did not yet have 20mm weapons at this date) and various spare photo-etch bits and pieces. The airwing is Trumpeter (SB2U's, F4F-3's, and three TBD's - they're visible in the IWM images) with specific photo-etch upgrades from Flyhawk. I'm on the home stretch and I really have enjoyed it.

The thing that alarms me most about McCart's book is that the error rate for the World War II period images has to be close to 20 percent!

Maurice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 pm 

I see that Aoshima and Tom's model works both have PE sets for these. Has anyone used both with the new Aoshima kit? Any comments?

Post subject: HMS Formidable
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:51 pm 

Hi folks
I'm building Formidable as she was in August 1945. What was the color of the folkul bulwarks and deck color. I realize when the deck is on you can't see much,but this is for a friend.

Ty

Last edited by Gernot on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
corrected title and atrocious writing in general. Stumped on folkul

Post subject: Re: HMS Formidable
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:58 pm 

I would assume he meant Focastle

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:01 pm 

Have started working on Victorious. What are those mast thingies in the middle of the flight deck - 2 forward and one aft? I can't find any reference to them in AotS. It looks like they are depicted in the large side drawings of her as originally configured, but they are not labelled anywhere with a key, nor have I been able to find any reference to them in the text. I haven't seen them in many (any? - maybe I've forgotten some) photos.

Post subject: Re: HMS Formidable
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:39 pm 

ty dobsold wrote:
Hi folks
I'm building Formidable as she was in August 1945. What was the color of the folkul bulwarks and deck color. I realize when the deck is on you can't see much,but this is for a friend.

Ty

I think the bulwarks were white, the decks I have no idea.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:40 pm 

mikasa wrote:
Have started working on Victorious. What are those mast thingies in the middle of the flight deck - 2 forward and one aft? I can't find any reference to them in AotS. It looks like they are depicted in the large side drawings of her as originally configured, but they are not labelled anywhere with a key, nor have I been able to find any reference to them in the text. I haven't seen them in many (any? - maybe I've forgotten some) photos.

A pure guess but there are many photos of RN ships lit up at night on special occasions, could they be for lights or bunting?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 pm 

I'm building the old Aoshima Victorious and would like to do something a bit different to OOB.
Try as I might, I can't find any details regarding placement of armament for, say, Victorious late 1942/early 1943, nor July-Sep 1943.
Can anyone help with some pics/drawings/details?
Thanks
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:10 pm 

moz wrote:
I'm building the old Aoshima Victorious and would like to do something a bit different to OOB.
Try as I might, I can't find any details regarding placement of armament for, say, Victorious late 1942/early 1943, nor July-Sep 1943.
Thanks
Peter

Do you have the Anatomy of the Ship volume on her? That gives pretty good information about the armament upgrades that went along with her career.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:14 pm 

I'm back to working on my Victorious after a long absence. The Aoshima instruction sheet says that all the ships boats should be painted white. Is that correct? Looking at photos hasn't really helped - most of the time the boats are in the shadows and you can barely make them out, if at all, much less what colors they might be.....

Any help appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:17 pm 

In a few days this book will be released

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:14 am 

The attached link may help https://www.scribd.com/document/1360243 ... Victorious

Al.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:46 pm 

mikasa wrote:
moz wrote:
Thanks
Peter

Do you have the Anatomy of the Ship volume on her? That gives pretty good information about the armament upgrades that went along with her career.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mikasa.
No, I don't have it. I have 12 books on WW2 carriers including Osprey's Brit Carriers 39-45, and the Anatomy book of the Bismarck, but that's it. None help, I'm afraid.
A quick look on the 'net reveals none of the book you mention for sale.
Thanks for the link, Al.
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:32 am 

What is the SKU for the newer Illustrious kit? I don't want to get hosed on the older one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:25 am 

Are the HACS IV on HMS Victorious the same shape as HMS KGV, they appear to be completely circular whereas HMS KGV has a part of the side that is flat?
I have read she had Pom Pom MK III directors during the Bismarck action, I’ve found pictures of MK I II.s and IV,s but can’t find any of the III’s, is there a picture anywhere. Any help appreciated thank you Al.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:45 am 

The HA.DCTs on VICTORIOUS and KING GEORGE V appear the same visually (circular in plan view, with a "box" on the front face):
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:HMS_King_George_V_(41)#/media/File:HMS_King_George_V_midships_SLV_Green.jpg
https://www.fleetairarmoa.org/content/s ... _large.jpg

PRINCE OF WALES, ILLUSTRIOUS and FORMIDABLE had the same systems; later ships had HACS Mk V, with flat-faced and flat-sided HA.DCTs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 am 

Thank you for your reply, please see attached link, whilst this is from a model so down to interpretation the HACS look completely circular. https://www.flickr.com/photos/92998762@ ... 833731444/ Do you have any info on the Pom Pom directors mark 3 please?

Many thanks Al.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:08 am 

Al Newman wrote:
Thank you for your reply, please see attached link, whilst this is from a model so down to interpretation the HACS look completely circular. https://www.flickr.com/photos/92998762@ ... 833731444/ Do you have any info on the Pom Pom directors mark 3 please?

Many thanks Al.

That matches what it should look like. The flat being referred to in some posts is on the front lower part of the director.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:49 am 

If you look at the third picture along on the attached link it's the flat faces to the back and side that I was asking about https://www.shapeways.com/product/8329V ... est-detail Al.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:50 am 

Attachment:
hacs.jpg

KGV prior to receiving the radar. Note that slight knuckle aft of the optical rangefinder going aft

Attachment:
hacs2.jpg

The right unit does not appear to have continuous curvature on its back and the knuckle line is again wavy.

Attachment:
hacs3.jpg

From this angle very much not round.

Attachment:
IWM_A 8139.jpg

Appears round from the top.

I suppose the sides of the unit are double-curved surfaces and there not different shapes; only different appearances based on light conditions and viewing angles... hmmm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next