The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:10 am 

Has anyone used the 1956 plans from floating drydock they are the only SCB-110 plans I know of. They are for the Midway. I have an FDR and Midway from Revell I was planning on re-doing the Midway as built and FDT with SCB-110 mod. Will this set work for the FDR?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:14 pm 
Dick J,

Where can I find info on the design of the Midway's hull?

The Midway Museum states that the design started with the Montana hull.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:03 pm 

Good day,
I have 1/700 JSP Midway (72-73). The air wing must be replace and I think also the PE. Which 1/700 Aircraft set is recommended for that time frame or should I get individual kits from trumpeter?
Finally I see several sets of PE for CV in 1/700 which set would be the best for a midway class in 1/700.
Thanks
Major-B :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:58 pm 

DougC wrote:
Dick J,

Where can I find info on the design of the Midway's hull?

The Midway Museum states that the design started with the Montana hull.

There is a chapter in Friedman's US Aircraft Carriers book devoted to the class. As stated previously, the only thing they had in common was the machinery arrangement. The Midway was 45,000 tons, 900' long on the waterline 968' overall. Beam was 113'. The hull was wall-sided with vertical armor. SHP was 212,000 for a top speed of 33 knots. The Montana design was 60,500 tons, 890' long on the waterline 921'3" overall. Beam was to be 121'2" overall, but the waterline beam was 115' only because the armor belt sloped out at the top. The hull was wider both above and below the waterline (built-in blister). SHP was designed for 172,000 for a top speed of 28 knots. The Midway introduced the 5"54 single mount while the Montana would have introduced the 5"54 twin. Length, beam, displacement and SHP are all very different. The hull sides and sterns were very different. Only the machinery arrangement and the 5"54 were common to both. (Aside from the standard MK-37 directors, 40MM and 20MM guns - obviously.)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:00 pm 

Friedman's exact words in regards to the Montana-Midway connection:

Quote:
Detailed analysis showed that the fuel required for endurance radius (20,000 nautical miles at 15 knots) would increase displacement by 2,500 tons, so that 172,000 SHP would not suffice; instead the Iowa plant (212,000 SHP) was adopted. However, the highly compartmented Montana arrangement was retained.
(page 219)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:51 pm 

Good day,
after further review and dry fitting the JSP Midway Kit 72-73 here the verdict:
the flight deck is very nice one piece and the hull fit together nicely. It still has some 5 inch guns, but they can be turn to face each other. I thought she still had the 3/50 also but could be wrong.
Here the down side. The air wing is metal, I have found some sets from Pit road and fumiji for the deck. However it has a nice hanger deck. So I may have get some trumpeter to fill the hangar deck.
I was planning on making it the FDR. However the flight deck has the center lined elevator removed here is the problem. I thought I could use the star fighter decals for CVW-9. But I believe she carried either CVW 5 or 1. Which no one makes. Also the PE. again, the main items are SPS 43 and SPS 30. Now the gent that sold me the set said he was going to use the Chicago. May main concern is catwalks and few other things. So any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:20 am 

Hi Major B,

Midway deployed CVW-5 pretty much her whole life after the SCB-101 mods. For the SPS-43 radar and PE, use one of the Nimitz sets. You will have to customize some of the pieces but that is all there is for a Midway in 700th scale. The Jim Shirley kits are uber rare. I have an Oriskany SCB-125 Jim Shirley kit. They are fairly basic but at least they cost a lot!

The SPS-30 radar is a little more problematic. The advice on using the Dragon 1/700 Albany/Chicago kit as a donor kit would work. That kit has both a PE SPS-43 and a plastic SPS-30. A bit pricey for a couple of radars but with that Midway kit, in for a Penny in for a Pound!

For the Air Wing,

I like the Fujimi F-4 Phantoms better than the Trumpeter ones although the Trumpeter have more detailed landing gear. Use Trumpeter for all of the other planes. By using the tail of an EA-6B mated to an A-6E and you have an EA-6A ( cut off the A-6E Tram Pod under the nose). I am not aware of any RF-8Gs in 700th scale so if you really wanted them, the 3D Print crowd might be able to help.

Otherwise, it should be a fairly straight forward build.

Good luck and lots of Pics!

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:14 pm 

Good day,
Here is a sweet photo of the Coral Sea with an enclosed bow with an axial deck my guess pre SCB-110 upgrade/configuration.
Not sure if the Midway and the FDR had this. But I am sure someone out their can confirm or deny that they had this configuration. Regardless I think it would be easy conversion to add something to that old kit. Now if someone would come out with a 1/350 kit my modelling bucket list would be complete.
Major-b :thumbs_up_1:

Attachments:
cvb43-2[1].jpg
cvb43-2[1].jpg [ 47.58 KiB | Viewed 54836 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 pm 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Good day,
Here is a sweet photo of the Coral Sea with an enclosed bow with an axial deck my guess pre SCB-110 upgrade/configuration.
Not sure if the Midway and the FDR had this. But I am sure someone out their can confirm or deny that they had this configuration.

The semi-enclosed bow was a pre-SCB-110 measure meant to improve the ships' characteristics in heavy seas. Norman Friedman's carrier design history notes the Midway class tended to plunge into waves instead of riding over them, and that the flight and hangar decks tended to get really wet. Enclosing as much of the bow as possible provided at least some relief until more substantial modifications became available.

All three ships received the enclosure. Navsource.org has really useful pictures of all three, and it's worth a visit to see them.

Jodie Peeler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:03 pm 

There is now also a 3D-printed 1/700 model of the USS Midway available from the Shapeways vendor, COB Constructs and Miniatures.

1/700 USS Midway from Shapeways

It appears to be the World War 2 version/late 1940s version, though I may be mistaken.

At US $119 dollars, it is definitely cheaper than Orange Hobby's 1/700 USS Midway (angled-deck) resin kit, which averages at around US $190 on Ebay.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:57 am 

Haijun watcher wrote:
There is now also a 3D-printed 1/700 model of the USS Midway available from the Shapeways vendor, COB Constructs and Miniatures.

1/700 USS Midway from Shapeways

It appears to be the World War 2 version/late 1940s version, though I may be mistaken.

At US $119 dollars, it is definitely cheaper than Orange Hobby's 1/700 USS Midway (angled-deck) resin kit, which averages at around US $190 on Ebay.

This is very interesting. Upon a closer look, the details are very "bathtub toy" like. However, Steve "Model Monkey" Larson has a 1/700 USS Midway Island in the Que and he has already done the 5" mounts and the 3" gun tubs. Steve's Islands are pretty amazing in their level of detail. I have a couple of them. Cannibalizing a 1/700 Essex Kit could provide 20mm Gun Galleries to sharpen that up and add a WWII CV PE Set. So for around $200 you might be able to put together a pretty nice 1/700 scale USS Midway as commissioned without having to scratch build most of it. I have the Orange Hobby Midway and it does not need anything. It is a very nice kit. I would love to see them do a Coral Sea and F.D.R. in their last fits as well.

The out of production Loose Cannon Midway was around $225 so it would be comparable.

I wonder if COB Constructs and Miniatures could divide their model into segments and print it in 1/350 scale?

Hmmmm.......:thinking:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:02 pm 

My hope is that Very Fire, if their new 350 Missouri is a success, might do a large scale Midway, or better a Coral Sea in her 90ties apperance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 pm 

The 1/700 model USS Midway from Shapeways appears to be a magnified printing of the design specifically for this 1/1800 product:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H8BEU7KMB/uss-midway-1-1800?optionId=43795153

Notice the gun barrels, for example.

If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which civilization developed and to which life on Earth is adapted, [atmospheric] CO2 will need to be reduced from its current 385 ppm to at most 350 ppm.
Dr James Hansen, NASA, 2008.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 pm 

This need to be done Trumpeter 1/350!

Attachments:
file.jpg
file.jpg [ 26.57 KiB | Viewed 53378 times ]

Last edited by gtbred on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:00 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

For the record, although C.O.B. Designs and Model Monkey (me) both offer products through Shapeways, an international 3D printing service, I am in no way associated with C.O.B. Designs.

Regarding the origin of my designs, I do not offer any products whose 3D designs are converted from stolen computer game CAD files (e.g. "World of Warships", etc.). There are other designers who offer products through Shapeways that have the look of computer gaming CAD files. All Model Monkey 3D designs are original, developed one line and shape at a time from the best available, authoritative 2D drawings and hi-resolution photographs, often graciously provided by requesters and researchers obtained from the National Archives and other reputable sources.

Please be advised that designers whose products are sold in online shops through Shapeways are generally independent, not Shapeways employees or contractors.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 pm 

I'm looking to break my sanity by trying to backdate/improve Revell's old USS Midway for a '45 fit. I've had zero luck finding accurate plans, as completed, and hope maybe one of you fine gents could point me in the right direction?

If I catch you at Nats, beers on me!

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:32 pm 

Replied. Thanks!

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:57 pm 

USS Midway 1945
Attachment:
USSMidwayJuly1945.jpg
USSMidwayJuly1945.jpg [ 213.96 KiB | Viewed 44889 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:44 pm 

Where here She is... my version of Midway in '91 fit, during the time of Desert Storm. Put some music to it as well as some photos of USS MIDWAY CV-41 in San Diego, CA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_mkcTH7uus

This is a re-take of a video I took several years ago, just had to change the social media engine.

Take a look at her, any comments about the model or video are welcomed.

Moe

Last edited by Timmy C on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
embedded video

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:50 pm 

gtbred wrote:
This need to be done Trumpeter 1/350!

Hi guys ! Any update on someone doing this or another initial config model ? Thanks ! :smallsmile:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next