The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:15 am 

OK for those interested I finally go back to work on the model. Checking the lines and working with the sander or adding more plaster where needed. and finally for those people that kept asking about the bow shape I cut it of and going to reshape it again.

Checking the lines

Cutting of the nose...

New Nose

Mick

P.S. Two weeks to go before it gets fiberglassed so I better get a move on.

Post subject: Kuznetsov colors
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:19 pm 

Can someone tell me what color the hull is in this picture:
Attachment:
general 06.jpg
general 06.jpg [ 274.77 KiB | Viewed 6236 times ]

I'd really like to match this color for my build. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Kuznetsov colors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:29 pm 

jgrease wrote:
Can someone tell me what color the hull is in this picture:
I'd really like to match this color for my build. Thanks in advance.

I have many images of the Kuznetsov and all have what looks like a different shade of grey. My model will end up with a simple grey colour on the hull simply because when it will be shown on either display under indoor light or on the water outside, the light source will change the grey to suite. I have built warships in past and under different light conditions outdoors the grey colour seamed to me to change. Overcast would make the grey darker and sunny would make it lighter.. go figure this one and then try to match your grey.... :roll:
Then on top of this in my case I will have wear and tear, rust etc. :faint:
Mick

Post subject: Help with hull
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:27 pm 

Just hit a bad snag on my model and have to wait till I sort it out before I put it into fiber glass.
I have been building several models in the same way, (Test models so to speak) Foam covered in plaster followed by fiberglass.
The problem is that the fiberglass STICKS to the plaster and is going to be a hell of a problem if I continue.
I have to figure out how to separate the plaster from the fiberglass otherwise its going to be a mess.
Any ideas people????
Also before I forget, between the plaster and fiberglass I gave it one coat of release agent, but it still stuck fast.

Mick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 am 
hi mick.......you may want to wrap the hull in seran wrap you know that (thin plastic you wrap the top of a bowl with to keep food fresh) wrap the hull then fiberglass it ......it makes a good barrier between plaster and fiberglass it's an old custom car trick......joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:34 am 

sorry mick the last post was me..........couln't log on for some reason...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:02 am 

ozpirate wrote:
OK for those interested I finally go back to work on the model. Checking the lines and working with the sander or adding more plaster where needed. and finally for those people that kept asking about the bow shape I cut it of and going to reshape it again.

Checking the lines

Which of the two bows are you referring to? I think can see where some cutting would be needed!
Just joking there, great job on that carrier OZ!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:02 am 

I'm looking for hull profiles of this ship, can anyone help?

Oh and Ozpirate, if you're having trouble getting the hull out of the figerglass mould here's what you need to do (i build full sized powerboats, fiberglass can be a nighmare when you start out!)

First you'll need to sand that plaster down to as smooth a surface as poss (though I'm sure you already have ;).) Then prime it several times sanding to a GLEAMING finish. No joke. Laquer it if you must. You gotta see your face in it.
When thats done get yourself some liquid wax release agent, I use a product called J-Wax but it has mnay names. Any resin supplier will know what you're talking about. Give if many many MANY coats of this wax, probably up to a .7 - 1 mm thick layer. Buff this off to a shine.

Then you can start glassing. It will definately help you to have a two part mould here. To do this, run a wall of clay perpendicularly all the way along the keel and up both the prow and transome, with the edge of the wall dead center if you can. Start with a layer of Gelcoat or two, then lay your glass mat directly on top, including over the clay. You'll have to have about a minimum of 5 mm of glassfibre for a mould this big. Thats it, you have one half of a mould. Now clean all the clay off and carefully trim the mould back so there's no sharp bits of matt to hurt you. Then lay clingfilm along and over the wall shape of the mould half, and cover that with talk so the other half of the mould wont stick. Then lay up your other half. When you're done, be sure to drill bolt holes to join the two halves together while the master is still in the mould.
This is the sad part. You're gonna have to sperate the two mould halves and get your master out. This will probably destroy it :(. If you've waxed it right any debris should come out pretty easily.

Ok now I'll offer another mathod for people doing similar projects in future. Use wooden bulkheads and then shape the hull out of clay. It's tricky, but it just washes right out a mould, and you don't even have to wax it. Though a foam hull is probably easier to shape. But the clay is worth the extra effort, and far fewer demoulding related heart attacks will occur.

Hope that helped a bit :).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:25 am 

HELLO TO EVERYONE,

PLEASE CHECK FOLLOWING LINKS FOR PHOTOS OF THE ADMIRAL KUZNETSOV. SOME ARE KNOWN BUT SOME ARE QUITE RARE
AND SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS BEAUTIFUL SHIP'S DETAILS.

http://www.atrinaflot.narod.ru/2_maincl ... 1435_1.htm

http://www.atrinaflot.narod.ru/2_maincl ... 1435_2.htm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:43 pm 

Thank you YANNIS KARYSTINOS For the links. I did manage to get a bit more info and a few new images I didn't have yet.
Today the hull gets 2 coats of wax (That makes 3 coats so far) I hope Friday to coat in release agent. One step closer to a fiberglass hull.
Thanks everyone for the help given so far. My next post will include some images of me working on the fiberglass hull to follow soon. (I hope)
Mick :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:54 am 

Impressive size, ozpirate! But you progress very slowly, it's a year and a half now but you're not going anywhere far. Anyway, just do it!
I'd love to see the finished thing, in a decade or two. ;-)

For the mean time, here's a finished Kutnetzov in 1:350 scale for those who haven't seen a built one.

Trumpeter's USSR Admiral Kuznetzov Aircraft Carrier 1:350 - by Niphon:
(These pics don't take any webspace here, I just link them from my site)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ModelManiacThailand/playlists

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcwo8_LDL-olx9WWqSWvK7Q/playlists

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:43 pm 

Gday Model Maniac, your right it is slow compared with a kit with all the parts supplied. I had to make the hull from nothing but raw material you had yours supplied in the kit!!!
Late last year and the begin of this year had a problem to solve first before I continued. I'm currently working still on the hull sanding. This should take easily till christmas. There is research that takes its time also and yes I have the trumpeter kit also which helps but only so far. Also in the end its a HOBBY not a BUSINESS. You can take your time with a hobby not when your in business. Also I have 4 others I use as tests for learning before a make a big blunder on the big Admiral Kuznetsov.
Question Model Maniac have you ever built a scratch model and I don't mean a part kit I mean SCRATCH, all you are allowed in a drawing, Not even a plan a drawing out of a book. You have to do the lot. Lets see how quick you could build something where pictures a rare, and drawings don't match what you see in the photo.
I have had heaps of people ask me where I got the plans to build my model. My Dad (before he died) was a draftsman and was able to draw a simple plan with very basic lines and this is what I used to make the hull. There is one thing I must say the drawings were not correct when I was working on the foam hull I found out. So to put it simply I'm working of a ship with only a plastic kit and heaps of pictures to guide me.
One more thing well done on your model of the Admiral Kuznetsov at scale 1/350. :thumbs_up_1:
I also link my photos from my site http://picasaweb.google.com/Mick.Elst where there are some new photos from time to time.
Mick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:50 pm 

Yeah correct at that. I'm not building a Kuznetsov, but any of my 1/700 full scratch built ships, even with a partial plan, take almost one year. That is of course, as a hobby, with only limited amount of hours to work on it each day. However those ships are only 30cm long, 1 foot, that is nothing compared to Mick's Kuznetsov! I also don't want the financial problems to make such a project! Making good progress there Michael, looks great so far :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:34 pm 

I wish i could buy an kit from kuznetsov somewhere here in holland.
Im sure gonna buy 1 if i see it!
Damm i love the looks of this ship :S

Mitch ;)

USS.Saratoga 1.535 scale Desert combat (currently on hold)
Ships in repair:
SMS Tirpitz 1/540 (adding new radars and fixing the main guns)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:29 pm 

I was looking, but couldn't find out - I know the Admiral has the AK-630's still in place, does it still use Bass Tilt radars?

It's not Overkill, it's Insurance.

If you think my plastic is crazy, check out my Line Art!
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/S ... %20Images/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:05 pm 

Sauragnmon wrote:
I was looking, but couldn't find out - I know the Admiral has the AK-630's still in place, does it still use Bass Tilt radars?

Simon i think that Admiral Kuznetsov's AK-630s are controled by the CADS-N-1 system. I ll have to check that out asking a friend who knows more on Russian stuff.

Various 1/700 aircraft.
Juan Carlos I LHD 1/700.
HMAS Canbera LHD 1/700.
FGS Type 122 class FFG 1/700.
LSD-41 class LPD 1/700.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:29 am 

The latest image of the Admiral Kuznetsov 1/72 with the scale 1/50 Nanushka 3 in the fore ground.

1/72 Steregushchy-class corvette

Mick
Tumut Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:27 am 

Been a while since anyone posted here so here goes some new image found online.
This should drive some of us modellers nuts with the detail that now has to be changes as per your model. Have fun :heh: I know I am. Thank god I haven't reached that far YET!!!

Mick
Tumut Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:12 am 

Great photos, do you have a link for the main page as I would like to see what else they have?

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:11 pm 

Jon wrote:
Great photos, do you have a link for the main page as I would like to see what else they have?

Sorry Jon I took these online for several Russian website locations and these were all they had anyway. But then again I am always on the look out for more. I really liked these images simply because so much detail in such a small image. In some cases I only got a thumb nail but better this than nothing.

Mick
Tumut Australia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next