The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:00 pm 

I have used both hasegawa sets for the 3-deck akagi. It basically just covers all the vertical pillars under the deck. If the part is seperately moulded in plastic, it may has a replacement, but interier moulded on ones are not replaced. In general the PE are slightly over-sized compared to plastic parts and unlike plastic parts have connection points whatsoever.

I got a couple questions. What's the main difference between a '41 Akagi and a 42 midway final version Akagi?

One specific query is about the observation tub just fore of the island around the 'aqueduct' like structures. The 1/350 version showed it as a ellipse shaped tub but I've seen some past builds depicting it as an enclosed box with windows.

Another question is at the boat deck, are there any additional pillars between the 'double' pillars (on each side) and the hanger? LR super set provided 2 square pillars for the spot but I don't see it anywhere else.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:58 pm 

Akagi & Nagato at Yokosuka. What year not sure.

Attachments:
ship_akagi8.jpg
ship_akagi8.jpg [ 67.64 KiB | Viewed 4196 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:07 am 
That's an old picture. Nagato still has her twin funnels and the Akagi is still in her triple flight deck configuration.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 pm 

I'm supprised that the Kaga doen not have a 1-350 kit. It would seem logical sence they have tha Akagi.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:45 pm 
Group;

I'm getting ready to start the 1/700 Three Deck Akagi. The kit is new and looks pretty good. I have read some reviews on it and the molds look good. I don't see any scratch building that should be done with the info I have on hand. I do have the basic GMM IJN CV set. I also have some odds and ends from other PE sets.

I don't plan on changing the flight deck much. I have spent plenty already on the kit and parts. I will post photos of my progress.

Any tips and advise would be great.

Thank's
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 pm 

Well. as Timmy indicated a few posts above, Hasegawa does make a dedicated set. There's a lot of truss work in the kit that I think this set provides for. FWIW.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:28 pm 

Group;

Getting ready to start the IJN Akagi Tri Deck 1/700 today. I have an IJN CV PE set from GMM and some other PE sets left over from other 1/700 IJN builds.

I'm trying to stay on a budget with this and future projects. I don't mind scratch building and it helps with my building skills. I will go very slow on this project. This will be a center display in my home office and an addition to my growing fleet.

I'm seeking on-line info / reff/ build info on the Akagi. I know not much info is out on the tri deck type. I'm familar with some of the on line sites, but if any one knows of any other info or parts I should pick up, that would be great.

I don't have the funds to get the real wood deck and PE deck parts that you could pick up for the kit. I already put plenty of money into it with the kit and a PE set.

I'm ready for the challange! I will spend the next few days reviewing the kit plans and marking on the kit with a Sharpi, what I plan to remove, improve.

I hope to have some photo's put up on the site, once I find out how to do that.

Any info or help would be great.

Sam

SERE Inst 89-95

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:02 am 

I'll try to help as time allows

Attachments:
Akagi Original Configuration 1930.jpg
Akagi Original Configuration 1930.jpg [ 83.41 KiB | Viewed 3632 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:26 am 

Dan;

Great photo, thank you. I will print it up and use it as one of many guides. I'm looking at building her with the island that they put on her around 1935-37. It should in the same area as the flag pole, signal flags are in your photo.

I have my work cut out for me. I'm looking forward to it. The kit has molded on solid pilians along the bulk heads on each side. I'm looking at the pro and cons of removing them. I don't think I have a PE set to replace them. Scratch building them would be a skill-full project. I will add some deck plating by using masking tap. This has worked real well on my other IJN ships. Gives it a real look of deckplating. I picked that up from another on-line great IJN modeler.

I hope to have the photo issue worked out with posting. My wife is a graphic artist, so she will give me a hand.

Sam

SERE Inst 89-95

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:40 pm 

Group;

After reviewing what I had on hand as far as IJN PE sets to get started on the 1/700 Akagi, this is what I have.

1 Fret of GMM IJN CV set.
1.5 Frets of IJN railings.
1 Fret of IJN ladders
1 Fret of left over IJN Battle Ship PE. (Plenty of good items that can be used)
1 Fret of left over IJN LC ship PE. (Another good set of items)
I only have a couple of IJN PE water tight doors.
So I went over my list, and was able to get the OK from COMNAVWIFEPAC (She knows it will keep me busy for up to six months) I was able to order the following items today.

1 Set of Tom's Modelworks IJN Doors and Hatches
1 Set of Tom's IJN Carrier set A
1 Set of Tom's IJN Carrier set B

The total cost of this project will be $90. I have plenty of scratch building items to use and I'm OK with paint.

I don't have to delay on the start and already started drilling out port holes. That alone will take a couple of days. I only have till Wed to work on her and then out the The River for New Years and back home on Sunday. The new items will be in after the first of the year and I start back at work on the 4th of Jan. I work on my projects about an hour a night during the week (depends what time I get in) and then an hour or two on the weekends.

As I said, I will take my time with her. I want her and a future Kaga as my center display items in my office. (May be if I get the courage, enter her in a contest. Never ever did that before)

Wish me luck.

Sam

SERE Inst 89-95

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:10 pm 

The prayer has been heard. Kaga is to rise from the ashes to be born anew. Now all the pieces of the puzzle are complete...sinister laugh...

Courtesy of Fujimi and their crazy development department. Seriously I cannot fathom the extent of their competitive advantage over the others with development speed like that. If I can buy Fujimi shares I'd buy them now!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:35 pm 

Where/when did you hear of this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:37 pm 

He posted the link to the Fujimi website listing on the Inj. Moulded Releases thread:
http://www.fujimimokei.com/prod_syosai/kaga.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:00 am 

This should be very interesting. So much prior debate about actual fit vs. lack of references come 1941-42. I look forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:53 pm 

Here it is on HLJ (for preorder):
http://www.hlj.com/product/fuj43030?utm_medium=itemblock&utm_campaign=TOP_page&utm_content=ibfuj43030.png

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 am 

Re: New Fujimi Kaga

Curiously, photo of model does not show most forward supports for flight deck. Same photo of model used at Fujimi and HLJ websites. Box art clearly depicts the supports.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:20 pm 

Must be that new camo paint..........

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:43 am 

Fujimi also now releasing a full-hull Akagi in 1:700... presume this is its later build, but likely no reason the lower hull could not be fit to the 3-decker version.

No photo yet, but here is the link to Hobby Link Japan pre-order information: http://www.hlj.com/product/FUJ43013

Hasegawa released a full-hull version of the Akagi in the mid-2000s, but that's long been sold out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:50 pm 

Can any group member show me the location of the Flight Deck Safety Nets on the Tri Deck Akagi?Did she have any during 35-38 yrs? Any help would be great. I'm almost done with her and will post photos soon.
Thank you,
Sam

SERE Inst 89-95

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm 

References are a little sparse in this area. Placement of netting is a guess.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next