The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:49 am 
Is anyone aware of a kit of the IJN Kaga prior to her refit that brought the flight deck out further towards the bow? I'm sketching plans to built comparisons between the two. Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:24 am 

I believe Waveline haves both Kaga and Akagi in their original CV fits in 1/700 (resin).

Post subject: Kaga before refit
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:57 pm 

I've seen several kits but, to date, none have the original ship immediately after conversion from a cruiser (with that pronounced bow jutting out way past the flight deck. Perhaps I'll end up 'refitting' the kit myself and then building the original kit to demonstrate the differences.

I deally the entire project is to display the pre-War Japanese ship types with those post 12/7/41 and then go to each phase of the Pacific Campaign - a lengthy project to be sure but one assuredly to keep me from hanging out on street corners for the next half-decade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:03 am 

Which are the best written references on the Akagi ???
So far, I´ve not been much lucky...The only (good) book I found (and bought) was Futabasha´s 3D CG book... Are there any others out there ???
Thanks...

:cool_1: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:43 am 

The Futubasha book is a very good book. THe only other dedicated volume is the Morskie Monograph #2.

Good coverage is avalaible in:

Gakken volumes #14 & the Perfect guide to IJN CVs
Kure Maritime Museum book on IJN CVs via Diamond-Sha
Kojinsha Mechanism book on IJN CVs
Model Art Ship Modeling Special #1
Model Graphix Navy Yard Special #2
Maru Special #2,55, 126 &127
THe various Fukui volumes.
Gran Prix Shuppan volume on IJN CVs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:53 am 
Its by Osprey Publishing and its called "Imperial Japanese Navy Aircraft Carriers 1921-1945".

It features many never before seen photos of our favorite characters, along with high quality illustrations of flight deck camo for the Taiho/Shinanos, Zuiho, Chitose, Amagi and others.

It has side profile shots of the Akagi, Kaga, Hiryu, Soryu, SHokaku, Zuikaku.

The book was cheap, too, like $10.

Most of the pics of Kaga and Akagi are after her 1936 modernization though and I've not seen any pics of the original cruiser-to-carrier configurations anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:00 am 

Original pics of Akagi and Kaga in their triple deck configuration are in the KMM, Fukui, Kojinsha, & Maru Special books. As are some pics of both in their just launched state.

Incidentally, if you go into the photo gallery/archives on this site (modelwarships.com), there are pics of Akagi in her original configuration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm 

At some point, PitRoad's High Mold division released original configuration 1/700 kits in resin for both Akagi & Kaga. The kits are highly regarded and I believe come with appropriate aircraft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:51 am 

Location: Achieving realistic wooden decks really makes my blood boil!!!
Hi Stephen,
My Akagi's, Shokaku's, Zuikaku's, Junyo's and Shinano's are still boxed :lol_1: :lol_1: Such a stock pile i will get around to building these in time!!! Alan

Nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them"
-- Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:14 am 

craiglieberman wrote:
Its by Osprey Publishing and its called "Imperial Japanese Navy Aircraft Carriers 1921-1945".

How are the drawings and illustrations in the book? I have the US Navy Pre War Carriers book and to say that it has some accuracy issues is an understatement. Wrong dates, incorrect drawings (there are two drawings of CV-5 and one of them has the island a full level higher than the other drawing!). If the Japanese CV book is good, though, I'd pick it up.

-Devin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:18 am 

Devin wrote:
How are the drawings and illustrations in the book? I have the US Navy Pre War Carriers book and to say that it has some accuracy issues is an understatement. Wrong dates, incorrect drawings (there are two drawings of CV-5 and one of them has the island a full level higher than the other drawing!). If the Japanese CV book is good, though, I'd pick it up.

They seem kind of iffy. OTOH, I kind of like the book since it's sadly one of the best English language references on Japanese carriers and offer a decent intro to them. OTOH, it's pretty skimpy and there is a lot of interesting detail such as speed and elevator dimensions-imposed limitations on what A/C could be embarked on which carrier that aren't in there. It's a handy pocket reference but not much more in my eyes.

Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:48 pm 

Does anybody know, exactly, how many aircraft (and of which type), did Akagi had on her flightdeck by the time she suffered the first hit, from US dive bombers, during the battle for Midway ???

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:27 pm 

Aside from possibly 3-4 CAP fighters, she had no aircraft on her decks during the last divebombing attack. THis appears true for Kaga and Soryu as well.

Suggest you read the just released book "Shattered Sword". Reexamines all the facts and myths that have arisen. Impeccably documented and researched and well written. A must have for any Midway buff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:40 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Aside from possibly 3-4 CAP fighters, she had no aircraft on her decks during the last divebombing attack. THis appears true for Kaga and Soryu as well.

Suggest you read the just released book "Shattered Sword". Reexamines all the facts and myths that have arisen. Impeccably documented and researched and well written. A must have for any Midway buff.

Some confusion on this side....I said "1st hit", you replied " last dive bombing" ??? Didn´t she had A6M2 and B5N ready for take-off ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:47 am 

Actually, Akagi probably received only 1 bomb hit, per Shattered Sword. At that time, her decks were clear of all aircraft, except possibly for 3-4 A6M2s for the CAP. This book make quite clear how erroneous many of the accepted conventions are about this attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:05 am 

Some more questions on the Akagi, and while I wait for "Shattered Sword" to arrive... :big_grin:. If someone knows the answers, please let me know... :

1) What aircraft types did she carried at Midway ??? Zeros, Kates and Vals ???
2) Was Akagi hull, an all-rivet construction hull ???
3) Was Akagi´s flight deck supports (by 1942) all weldeld, or were they riveted ???

That´s all for now....Thanks in advance !!! :big_grin:

Post subject: I have the book
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:29 am 
I just finished it last night...I'll look it up in the charts again, but as I recall, she had no planes on her deck at the time of the dive bombing attack or indeed all morning, other than Zeroes she spotted and launched for CAP protection.

I'll get the count for you on the Zeroes, Kates and Vals she carried overall at lunchtime when I go home.

I believe these were the only aircraft she carried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:28 pm 

Her airgroup was reduced in comparison to ealier ops; a lot of attrition at work and minimal aircraft replacments available in throughout 1942.

Akagi was initially all rivet contstruction; whether any of her reconstruction involved welding is unknown to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:46 pm 
On page 241 of Shattered Sword, there is discussion about the impending dive bombing attack at about 10:15Am.

The book notes that a handful of CAP fighters was in the process of taking off. These planes were positioned pretty far aft. There was no mention of anything other than Zeroes being launched at this time, although the records seem to indicate that Akagi launched very small groups of a couple of different types of aircraft that morning.

Going to the charts on pages 510 of the book, I could only decipher that there were about 3-9 planes on deck at about that time.

From sometime after 8AM till Akagi was hit (by one bomb, not more), the plane was in a constant state of launching and recovery operations of CAP aircraft.

If I've understood this correctly, I surmised that an "accurate" model would should about 3-9 planes, positioned nearly 80% aft on the flight deck just moments before the ship was hit.

If I've read this wrong, you hardcore guys can straighten me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:57 pm 

Thanks....
So, as I want to do Akagi during Midway, and with some more aircraft on deck other than the 3-9 CAP she appeared to have, what are my options ??? Which planes, and how many, did she launched earlier ???
Once again, thanks...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 418 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next