The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:03 am 

PetrolGator wrote:
I'm going to build a master for a FL-282 out of Milliput or styrene plus some brass. Ideally, I'll pass it on to a friend for some clear resin copies.

cool - I have a friend working on some resin pre-turn-of-the-century TBs - the old types with the rounded forward tumblehomes (2400 scale).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:38 am 

I'm looking forward to starting my Orange Hobby kit soon but I have to admit, I'm still amazed we haven't seen Trumpeter or maybe Blue Ridge announce a 1/350 one. It seems like an obvious release for somebody.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:26 pm 

You may find this link VERY interesting...... :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/460/Fascist-Flattops.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:21 pm 
Did anybody else notice the new Trumpeter catalog (2016) listing 1/350 Graf Zeppelin and 1/350 Peter Strasser kits?
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:26 pm 

Mike Coleman still wrote:
Did anybody else notice the new Trumpeter catalog (2016) listing 1/350 Graf Zeppelin and 1/350 Peter Strasser kits?
Mike

Yeah - it was mentioned here.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:05 pm 

Kagero publishing will publish end of April a new issue.
Super drawings in 3D The German Aircraft Carrier Graf Zeppelin

https://sklep.kagero.pl/en/the-german-a ... pelin.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:44 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

4-meter SL-8 domed rangefinders are now available in several scales. See:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=163409

Attachments:
1-350 SL-8 Rangefinder.a.jpg
1-350 SL-8 Rangefinder.a.jpg [ 178.3 KiB | Viewed 6989 times ]
1-350 SL-8 Directors.aa.jpg
1-350 SL-8 Directors.aa.jpg [ 23.16 KiB | Viewed 6989 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:42 pm 

Hi All
Firstly I am not a rivet counter and do no know if this has been raised before, but thought it was worth mentioning. I am using 3rd party information so a more knowledgeable person could answer this easily. As per Google:
HMS Ark Royal (Pennant 91) was 800 ft (240 M) in length.
KM Graf Zeppelin Carrier was 861 ft (262 M) in length.

Trumpeter (Merit) currently show the 1/350 Ark Royal kit as being 696.4mm in length
Trumpeter currently list the 1/350 Graf Zeppelin kit as being 696.4mm in length

I am sure a typo error on the Ark Royal box top, and the kit of the GZ is a longer model.
If anyone can confirm please? Thanks in advance
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:59 pm 

Thank you David
Much appreciated

Regards
Peter H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17 am 
Hello all,
I just got the Trumpeter 1/350n G.Z. kit today. Just rummaging through the box it looks like a nice kit. The hull is not waterline cut which I personally like. There is a fair amount of photoetch but it could stand a bit of super detailing such as the radar array on the stern. I am not sure the davits for the boats are accurate. It comes with 4 types of aircraft, 4 of each and are molded in grey plastic and not clear. From what I can tell it is missing arrester cables which is not a big problem. The under cut for the torpedo blisters on the hull sides are a bit deep in my opinion. Color scheme presented is a three color splinter camo with a medium grey deck. I think natural wood would be nice. The hanger deck could certainly be detailed as the elevators are separate pieces. It looks like it will be a fun build. If anyone would like further details please don't hesitate to ask. One last thing. Included in the box is a page showing their line of ship display cases for these larger ships.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:46 am 

Hello all,
I just got the Trumpeter 1/350n G.Z. kit today. Just rummaging through the box it looks like a nice kit. The hull is not waterline cut which I personally like. There is a fair amount of photoetch but it could stand a bit of super detailing such as the radar array on the stern. I am not sure the davits for the boats are accurate. It comes with 4 types of aircraft, 4 of each and are molded in grey plastic and not clear. From what I can tell it is missing arrester cables which is not a big problem. The under cut for the torpedo blisters on the hull sides are a bit deep in my opinion. Color scheme presented is a three color splinter camo with a medium grey deck. I think natural wood would be nice. The hanger deck could certainly be detailed as the elevators are separate pieces. It looks like it will be a fun build. If anyone would like further details please don't hesitate to ask. One last thing. Included in the box is a page showing their line of ship display cases for these larger ships.
Mike

be careful , the Trumpeter display cases are made of Plastic which can stick - and be difficult to lift off , I bought a 1/48 Scale Model Case from them
I lifted it off , and it stuck , then came apart suddenly , and the right side undercarriage came off my P-51 , luckily the part was able to be glued back on
with no damage to the Model - I would advise anyone to fork out for a proper ship display case - and you will be a lot safer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:46 pm 

Squadron notified me that the kit is in stock now on their web site.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:31 pm 

The under cut for the torpedo blisters on the hull sides are a bit deep in my opinion. Color scheme presented is a three color splinter camo with a medium grey deck. I think natural wood would be nice. The hanger deck could certainly be detailed as the elevators are separate pieces. It looks like it will be a fun build.

I pulled out my AJ Press and Schiffer books on GZ and checked - I think the odd undercut on the bulges is actually correct! From photos and sections provided (including some copied from the German originals), it appears that the bulges simply used the bilge keels of the original hull as their bottom edges. Yay, no need to rework the bulge shape!

Something else very interesting I noticed in plan copies is that GZ had a 2-story hangar, like the IJN carriers! The kit's hangar deck only takes you down one level. So, shall I scratchbuild a lower level around one elevator to show off this feature... or were their elevators to be 2-level affairs like the Japanese, so you could never actually see down into the lower hangar? I'll have to study the drawings a bit more.

The AJ book has some photos that indicate wood planking on the flight deck, above the armor. As the kit portrays the deck as smooth, a stick-on deck would be quite appreciated. One thing I'm not sure of is whether there should be planking on the bow or stern decks below the flight deck. I haven't noticed any photos of these areas where one could tell, and don't see anything called out on plans.

I agree, this should be a fun build. And while I like the box art's hypothetical splinter scheme, I'm mulling over building mine with either a Baltic scheme with the black and white stripes, or perhaps an Operation Cerberus-style mottling.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:02 am 

Hi Guys
I have held off purchasing the 1/350 Graf Zeppelin until I could see Trumpeters model of the Peter Strasser.

Well the Box Art has been released, it looks to show the following changes:
* Appears all 5.9cm Guns removed.
* There are only 4 of the 10.5cm AA guns on the Island (1 each removed from forward & aft)
* I "think" there is a Helicopter sitting on the flight deck close to the Catapults!!!
* 2 of the SL-8 units removed / not shown on the Island.
The Strasser appears to be all over light grey. It's on Hobby Search as a pre-order.

Thanks
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:20 am 

Infini Models is releasing a 1/350 Graf Zeppelin German Aircraft Carrier Wooden Deck Set in May 2017. According to their Facebook page there will be a Wooden Deck Set, 1 sheet of Photo Etching (no details of what it includes) and 16 Turned Brass parts (which appear to be bollards). The set is not listed on Infini Models' webpage as yet.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:53 am 

Hi Guys
Ok, I have ordered the 1/350 Trumpeter Graf Zeppelin, and I have a "question" please.

The Illustrations / Drawings show her with 6 of the 10.5cm C/33 in C/31 mount with Either "gE" OR "D" Shield (They are open at the rear, as seen on most other KM warships)
The Bismarck & Tirpitz apparently had 4 or 8 of the 10.5cm C/37 Mount installed (Covered Rear)

My question is would it matter if I fitted 6 of the Veteran C/37 Covered Mounts ? I don't really understand the difference between any of the 3 types. ?
Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:30 pm 

Peter H wrote:
The Illustrations / Drawings show her with 6 of the 10.5cm C/33 in C/31 mount with Either "gE" OR "D" Shield (They are open at the rear, as seen on most other KM warships)
The Bismarck & Tirpitz apparently had 4 or 8 of the 10.5cm C/37 Mount installed (Covered Rear)

My question is would it matter if I fitted 6 of the Veteran C/37 Covered Mounts ? I don't really understand the difference between any of the 3 types. ?

The C/33 was a 1933 design originally for the 88MM guns on the pocket battleships. It was adapted for the 105's. The C/37 was a 1937 design. Production of the C/33 was stopped in favor of the later C/37's, but Bismarck already had 4 C/33's on board. She ran her early trials while waiting for the C/37's to begin being delivered to complete her outfit. Tirpitz carried only the C/37's. Graf Zeppelin's construction was suspended. While C/33's show in the plans, by the time her construction resumed, the C/33's were no longer being produced. Personal opinion, but I consider it highly likely that had she commissioned, she would have carried the C/37's.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 pm 

Hi Dick J

Appreciate you quick and detailed reply, I was in a way wanting to use the C/37 on my Graf Zeppelin, without going too far off the deep end.

My LHS has several boxes of the 1/350 Veteran C/37 in stock so these are what I will use. I may have to look at the aftermarket SL-8 units also.

Thanks again for your assistance. :-)
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:11 am 

Hi Guys

My large box with various 1/350 bits & pieces arrived from Melbourne today along with my Graf Zeppelin. A few pics had to be taken.

A pic with my 3 X 1/350 Carriers that are all pending, USS Princeton, IJN Kaga and the KM Graf Zeppelin. A juggling act with the IJN Akagi for comparison.
Also added a quick pic from front to back: HMS Roberts (Current Build) then Princeton, Kaga and Graf Zeppelin in the back for size comparison.
I also have 2 boxes of the Veteran Models 10.5 C/37 mounts as per previous discussion. This really looks like a magic kit. Cannot see any damaged parts, packed very well and
there is plenty of Etch for what looks like a complete basic set. Sure there will be some more aftermarket sets, she badly does need more aircraft (JU-87 and BF-109 please)

Length: 750mm. Flight deck is shown as a light Grey, but my Kagero book clearly indicates wood on main, forward and the small aft decks. More research to be done. Apart from that
It looks like the side blisters and all other details are very well done. Any specific pics wanted let me know.

Cheers
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

Attachments:
Ship Carriers to Build 2017c.JPG
Ship Carriers to Build 2017c.JPG [ 143.92 KiB | Viewed 6509 times ]
Ship Carriers to Build 2017a.JPG
Ship Carriers to Build 2017a.JPG [ 151.25 KiB | Viewed 6509 times ]
Ship Carriers to Build 2017b.JPG
Ship Carriers to Build 2017b.JPG [ 179.95 KiB | Viewed 6509 times ]
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:19 am 

Trumpeter is going the extra mile and releasing Graf Zeppelin's never-built sister (or would it be brother?) ship Peter Strasser in late July. Box art is gorgeous, complete with an O-class BC in the background. Wonder if this is foreshadowing future kit releases? :)

https://hlj.com/product/TRP05628

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next