The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 pm 

My thanks to Dick J who has sent to me some pictures of the wooden deck on the Graf Zeppelin. So that's one big question answered.
I don't think the KM would paint a wooden deck "Grey" so Trumpeters painting instruction seems to have an error.

Thanks again for your assistance.
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:37 pm 

Has anyone heard if any of the etched brass folks are working on an update for the GZ? Also a wooden deck replacement would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm 

dwonders wrote:
Has anyone heard if any of the etched brass folks are working on an update for the GZ? Also a wooden deck replacement would be nice.

Infini has previously said they are working on a detailed PE set for the Graf Zeppelin but were hampered by a lack of detailed information about the ship.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:28 am 

SangHyun Park has posted pics on his FB page of Infini Model 1/350 Graf Zeppelin Metal Barrel set. There is nothing on their website and no indication of a release date. Also he advised he is currently working on the instructions for a full PE detail set for the Graf Zeppelin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:33 pm 

rotley wrote:
SangHyun Park has posted pics on his FB page of Infini Model 1/350 Graf Zeppelin Metal Barrel set. There is nothing on their website and no indication of a release date. Also he advised he is currently working on the instructions for a full PE detail set for the Graf Zeppelin.

Here's the link to the photos (should work even if you're not logged in): https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... nref=story

The PE drilling guide is brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:30 am 

Hi All
Just seen the details for the 1/350 Peter Strasser, it comes with a "spaceship" I have attached a pic.
Happy I purchased the Graf Zeppelin.
Cheers
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

Attachments:
IMG_3623.JPG
IMG_3623.JPG [ 53.79 KiB | Viewed 5933 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 am 

SO I've started work on my Trumpeter Graf Zeppelin to bring her out in a hypothetical 1940 version ( a what-if of a never was!) and the modifications seem pretty straightforward (bulges, towers, missing front heavy turret). My one question is on the light AA armament. If I'm reading my references correctly, it seems that if she were commissioned in 1940/41 she would have had single mount 2cm/ C/30 AA MG only with no quads, although quads were installed at a couple of positions when she was moved. Is this correct?

Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:46 am 

I recommend for any builder of this kit , get yourself the AJ Press book - which is far more detailed and comprehensive than the older book by Siegfried Breyer ( sadly now out of print and the Publisher is now defunkt )
https://aj-press.home.pl/eow_euro.HTM
or direct on ebay - The line drawings and artist drawings in colour are simply superb

Last edited by 73north on Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am 
What are the differences amoug Trumpeter, Aoshima and Orange Hobby, 1/700?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:14 pm 

DpugC wrote:
What are the differences amoug Trumpeter, Aoshima and Orange Hobby, 1/700?

I think the Aoshima kit is actually the old Revell version, which means it's not actually in 1/700 but 1/720, and is full hull unlike the other two. The other two, being newer, I would expect a greater level of detail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:07 am 

Besides the space ship is there any difference between the graf z kit and the strausser?

I only play with my models when no one is home.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:26 pm 

I have the same question as Corey - now that I see Trumpy is putting out the Peter Strasser in 1/700, I wonder: are there any differences between the new kit and their earlier release of Graf Zeppelin, or is just the same kit in a new box with a new suggested paint scheme?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:52 pm 

Paul, Corey -

The Strasser kit has parts to close up all the casemates on the hull, and possibly some variation in the shape of the lowest level of the conning tower. From pictures of the instructions and sprues on Hobby Search, it appears that the 1:350 version still includes the guns, but the 1:700 version does not. I also do not see any sign of the Haunebu in the 1:700 version.

Personally, I'd rather hoped the Strasser would've come with "late war"-style aircraft - maybe 109Ts based off G airframes, Fw-190A-based fighters, and Fw-190D-based Torpedo bombers.

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:38 pm 

Is the Flugzeugträger B from trumpeter accurate? For me it's seem more like a what if modernised Flugzeugträger B because some of the element of the model seem to be for a after 1942 graf zeppelin and originaly the Flugzeugträger B was verry similar to the graf zeppelin:
original Flugzeugträger B drawing:
And the Flugzeugträger B construction stopped in september 1939 right?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:47 pm 

thebunkerparodie wrote:
Is the Flugzeugträger B from trumpeter accurate? For me it's seem more like a what if modernised Flugzeugträger B because some of the element of the model seem to be for a after 1942 graf zeppelin and originaly the Flugzeugträger B was very similar to the graf zeppelin:

There is much about the Flugzeugträger B kit that is "what if". One of the considerations in the actual construction of the ship was that the finished carrier would incorporate all of the modifications and upgrades worked into Graf Zeppelin during her construction and work-up. With that in mind, having the upgrades for the 1942 revision, "Atlantic bow", blisters, funnel cap, heavier masts and increased AA, could be considered "accurate" for carrier B. That said, the Trumpy kit includes some changes in armament that are more "what if". The elimination of the 5.9" guns, while not an unreasonable mod, was not a part of the '42 redesign. The part of the kit I really question is the reduction in AA capability - fewer 4.1" guns and AA directors as seen in the box art, and any reductions in light AA that might be harder to see in the artwork. If I were to build a "Peter Strasser" (name also speculative, but not unreasonable), I would probably do her to the '42 redesign and do Graf Zeppelin to the earlier 1940 rig, which she would have completed in had she not been put on hold. But since neither ship ever commissioned, you can do almost anything you want to them and not be proven "wrong".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:00 am 

I would take the trumpeter model and modify it ,and why trumpeter decided to remove one SL 8 If they were 4 in the original drawing?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:40 am 

were the bulge on the grad zeppelin hull going to be in the Flugzeugträger B one if he was constructed(I know the new funnel maybe not)?
how would you do him? Personnaly I would take a second graf zeppelin from trumpeter and modify it (you can keep the atlantic bow).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am 

For me yes and here is the only picture I could found for the Flugzeugträger D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:02 pm 

no they are on the trumpeter model

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:25 pm 

do you know if this funnel design from late 1939 from the graf zeppelin would been added to the Flugzeugträger B?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next