The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:32 am 

Thanks Mark for the reply. I already have those sponsons on order! I will look into the others stuff you say he used to make. Sucks about the decals. Is there a huge difference that you know between the StarFigher's 75-83 set and what I would need? I am looking forward to this project in the coming months because I am already learning more and more about these ships.

I have tried looking into the Nimitz dvd from Floating Drydock but their website seems dated and I am not sure if they are even around anymore. I sent them a email and still waiting for a response.

Thanks again. I am sure I'll be back with plenty of questions and progress pics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:23 pm 

The Starfighter Decals is CVW-8. I think that they would work for the 1986 East Coast Cruise. CVW-9 was the wing on the west coast. Here is a web site with the carrier airwing lineup.

http://www.gonavy.jp/CV-CVN68f.html

There were some differences between CVW-8 through the 80's but the Starfighter Decals might work for most of the Air Wing.

Good luck,

MM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 pm 

Hey Mark,

Question for you. Looking over at Baconfist’s Shapeway site I see he has two different hanger walls. One is marked early and the other late. What one would be for the 84-91 era of Nimitz? I assume at 3” long, you would need more to complete the hanger.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9XFCZ ... d=60150502

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9MC6V ... arketplace

Appreciate any and all help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:09 am 

Use the early one for the era you want to do for Nimitz. Bacon Fist used to do the whole Hanger Deck Walls. He pulled them down to modify them to fit better. Hopefully he will put them back out for sale soon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:30 am 

Thanks again Mark. I have tried to message him but haven’t received a reply. Can’t wait to get this model open on Christmas. Until then, I am slowly gathering up items.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:47 pm 

Mark McKinnis wrote:
Use the early one for the era you want to do for Nimitz. Bacon Fist used to do the whole Hanger Deck Walls. He pulled them down to modify them to fit better. Hopefully he will put them back out for sale soon.

I have a (hopefully) final test print oh Hangar 1 going on now and Shapeways is predicting it will be here in January. If it goes well, the hangar deck walls will be back online shorty thereafter.

Thanks!

~Greg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:45 am 

gjholmes77 wrote:
Mark McKinnis wrote:

I have a (hopefully) final test print oh Hangar 1 going on now and Shapeways is predicting it will be here in January. If it goes well, the hangar deck walls will be back online shorty thereafter.

Thanks!

~Greg

That’s good news to hear. I’ve recently bought a few things off your store in preperations for my build.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:11 am 

I love these incredible photos of USS Nimitz CVN-68 in drydock.

Seen from below waterline, the scale and perspective are out of this world. The Nimitz looks more like a grounded spacecraft than a ship!

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/25634/awe-inspiring-images-from-underneath-a-well-worn-uss-nimitz-the-navys-oldest-carrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:47 pm 

I'm currently trying to correct the Italeri 1/720 Nimitz class islands. I've done a decent job on the Reagan and Bush, and now trying on CVN-70 to 75. Mostly hacking on the spare islands in those kits (I have 4 of them) so if I screw up nothing is lost.

I have been taking pics as I go and will upload them here, but as I work at the speed of a glacier I thought it better to have it done before I post.

For simplicity's sake I'm planning on doing all the kits I have in as-built or as-commissioned fits, you can go mad trying to keep up with all the changes. I may still yet need to buy another Reagan/Bush kit or two for all the bits I need, at least they are cheap here. I certainly need at least one more hull anyway.

So, my question.....

(and bear in mind I'm ignoring the post RCOH refits on all the ships for my purposes!)
I'm trying hard- and failing- to find a clear photo of the area at the very aft of the upper deck on the island for each ship; on Nimitz, Ike and Vinson this was a open area, some of the others have what looks like a "canopy" or "roof" added with still open sides, later still it looks a completely enclosed area. It has been changed over the years, on all ships, but some were built with it open, some with it covered, some with it closed.

This photo on Navsource shows best the area I'm on about, the deck area between the 2 flag bags (you can zoom in)
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/027097.jpg

and here the same area is covered over and has 2 satcom domes on it,
http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/027021.jpg

I need a clear pic showing the shape and size, for each from 71-75, I can't even tell if CVN-71 had an open or covered area there when built. I've tried the usual suspects, Navsource, navysite.de, seaforces etc. I've even spent hours trawling through the cruisebooks that are on navysite. And navy.mil is no help, as there are literally hundreds of thousands of pics there, but most are too recent...

Anyone got any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:08 am 
"I need a clear pic showing the shape and size, for each from 71-75, I can't even tell if CVN-71 had an open or covered area there when built. I've tried the usual suspects, Navsource, navysite.de, seaforces etc. I've even spent hours trawling through the cruisebooks that are on navysite. And navy.mil is no help, as there are literally hundreds of thousands of pics there, but most are too recent..."

Hope this helps... Theodore Roosevelt:
https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-por ... aft-7d3b86

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-por ... ore-47a6d3

Extra
https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-cre ... aft-760bec

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-vie ... aft-5bdf64

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/a-ste ... elt-8929a0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:28 pm 

Now thats a cracking photo resource, especially as you can set the date range, excellent for the mods to the carriers. Downloading furiously :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:54 am 

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 am 
Yeah it's a great resource for almost anything...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:47 pm 

Would the 1/700 Trumpeter CVN-72 or the CVN-74 kit be a better starting point for the USS George Washington during the final A-6 cruise?

1/350 USS Alabama BB-60

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:53 pm 

Greetings!

I recently inherited the complete Italeri 1/720 line of US Supercarriers. Not being "expert" in carriers since I served my24 year Navy career in the Submarine Service, I began researching these kits. It seems that the Nimitz class kits are generally only 70% to 75% accurate according to various reviews but no reviews go into specifics. It is obvious to me that neither the G.W. Bush or the R. Reagan kits contain accurate islands, and that the islands found in each of the other kits are the same. That said, can anyone here point me in the right direction to find a summary of exactly what needs to be done to these kits? I really want to do them justice!

Thanks for any help!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:53 pm 

task force 58 wrote:
Would the 1/700 Trumpeter CVN-72 or the CVN-74 kit be a better starting point for the USS George Washington during the final A-6 cruise?

I planned on using the Lincoln kit. I researched this a while back and I think:

Trumpeter Roosevelt = Carl Vinson
Trumpeter Lincoln = Washington
Trumpeter Stennis = Truman

Reagan and Bush require a new Island (1/700 & 1/350 for the 3D folks:) and I have not looked at the sponsons. Bacon Fist does sponsons for both in 350 scale and a Reagan Mast. No Islands yet.

Check your references since you are doing a 1996 ish build for a last A-6E cruise and the Lincoln kit has all of the domes for 2002. They did not sport as many in the mid 90's.

Good luck,

MM

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:03 pm 

William wrote:
Greetings!

I recently inherited the complete Italeri 1/720 line of US Supercarriers. Not being "expert" in carriers since I served my24 year Navy career in the Submarine Service, I began researching these kits. It seems that the Nimitz class kits are generally only 70% to 75% accurate according to various reviews but no reviews go into specifics. It is obvious to me that neither the G.W. Bush or the R. Reagan kits contain accurate islands, and that the islands found in each of the other kits are the same. That said, can anyone here point me in the right direction to find a summary of exactly what needs to be done to these kits? I really want to do them justice!

Thanks for any help!

Well,

If you are really interested in accuracy, sell them and use the funds to build a couple of the 1/700 Trumpeter Kits. The Italeri kits can be made into a nice kit but it would take a lot to correct them for each ship for an accurate build. There were subtle and not so subtle differences in Main Mast, Sponsons, Radar Masts, and the way the SATDOMES were arranged over the years. Ray's DVD picture albums are an essential reference for building any of them for an accurate model of the various ships of the class.

http://stillmotionsphotographics.com/-/ ... D=1&row=15

Good luck,

MM

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:15 pm 

The [i]Detail and Scale[i] books about the USS [i]Forrestal[i], USS [i]Enterprise[i], and USS [i]America[i] each provides a detailed analysis of the model kits available for these ships. Although not very flattering, these analyses include the Italeri kits. Coupled with the extra effort on the part of the modeler, decent models can be made. I am looking for the same type of information about the [i]Nimitz[i] class ships.

I am sticking with the 1/720 scale range because it is only one of two scales in which the entire fleet of U.S. Supercarriers can be found, and I inherited the kits. The other scale is 1/800, the Arii, Otaki, et. al. carriers models are arguable better than the Italeri range (except for the paired Aegis panels on the [i]Nimitz[i] class islands).

Does anyone know of such listings?

Thanks!

Bill

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:50 pm 

http://www.modelerjoe.net/shipmodellist.html#ItalNimitz

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:36 pm 

William, if you can wait a bit I'm working on that exact project. I hope to have a thread on here showing what needs doing to each Nimitz class ship to make a decent representation from the cheap'n'cheerful Italeri kit.

All I'm using is plastic card, spare islands and spare parts of kits and PE. So far my only outlay was plastic card, GMM and Starfighter decals, and an extra copy of the Ronald Reagan kit for spares.

I've done one Reagan island using two kit islands cut'n'shut, and two more using plastic card. It's easy enough just time consuming, but sorta satisfying...

More later, stay tuned....!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next