The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:39 am 

This ones from RD Bean (Hopefully ok to post)
Showing the original launcher on the Enterprise, corresponding to the model pic above.
Image007 by Simon Bird, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:15 pm 

Enterprise Mk-25 launcher 1969

I'm revising my suggestion that the Nimitz has a prototype.

To me, it looks like the 3 launchers on Nimitz and Ike, and the two on Enterprise are an early variant of the Mk-25 launcher.

All the Mk-25 Launchers installed on the Knox Class DE's in the early 70's seem to be the later variant with the gaps and bars on top, rather than the solid top.

Enterprise got the Mk-29 during her early 80's overhaul and Nimitz and Ike got them during their mid 80's Overhauls.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:32 am 

Thanks Darren!

Looks were getting a complete image now. And a very interesting picture of the Enterprise, I hadn't seen it in color yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 am 
Hi every body

im trying to built the USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71 ........ and i need the Body Plans or coupes transversales, please any body can help me .

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:20 pm 

Hi Wissam,

What scale are you building it and how far have you gotten? I ask because you might not have to do any scratch building or very little depending on the era you want to build.

In 1/700th scale:

http://freetimehobbies.com/1-700-trumpe ... rier-2006/

___ or _____

In 1/350th scale:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/873QA ... d=62079160

Bacon Fist has other details you might want in 350th scale as well.

Good Luck!

MM

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:20 pm 

:wave_1:
Hey everyone. I'm building a 1/350 version of the USS George Washington (CVN 73). I am not happy with island build so far and I'm looking for an extra Sprue "E" to try a different direction. I tried Trumpeter's site but they list that spur as not in stock
:mad_2: .
Any body here know where I might find an extra sprue "E" or have one they would be willing to sell?

Thanks everyone!

Chiefs have considerable managerial and technical expertise and are the linchpin between officers and enlisted.
-Captain Mike Lambert

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:52 am 

Last edited by anyahajobuzi on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:14 am 

Hi Laci,

PM sent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:43 am 

Does anyone make a resin or 3d printed corrected island for the Italeri 1/720 Reagan or Bush kits? The kit islands are too short (they need to be "stretched"!) The kits are good models for the price otherwise. And the only options.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:28 am 

roym wrote:
Does anyone make a resin or 3d printed corrected island for the Italeri 1/720 Reagan or Bush kits? The kit islands are too short (they need to be "stretched"!) The kits are good models for the price otherwise. And the only options.

Greg at Bacon Fist Models has started some of that work in 1/350 scale.

He has created the sponsons:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G2GKH ... d=61000411

And he has done the main mast:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BW48X ... d=61796036

He is still working on the second mast and the Island. I am planning a 1/350 build of Reagan using a 1/350 scale Nimitz as a starting point. I would also want to get the complete set in 1/700 scale to use a 1/700 Trumpeter Nimitz Class kit as a starting point. It has been a while since he updated the status of his work so maybe he can chime in and we can get an update.

Good Luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:15 pm 

Hello Gents,

As Mark said I've been working on a lot of stuff. I'm nearing completion on a CV-66 island and when that is done the Reagan island shouldn't be far behind. There is an overwhelming amount of detail there and I want everyone to get their money's worth. The second mast is done but I haven't had a chance to put it on the site yet. By the way, the parts that Mark linked to (and more) are on a model of the Reagan that will be displayed in the Reagan Presidential Library this summer.

~Greg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:20 pm 

That's great news Gregg on the America island . I'm working on two Supercarriers at the same time. Still working on things on both.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:56 am 

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the update. I would like to get the America Island in 1/700 scale so I will be looking forward to that.

I am about half way through CVW-9 for a 1991 Nimitz so I will be putting your 1991 Nimitz Sponsons to work soon.

Keep up the great work!

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:36 am 

In June I was in Norfolk and could see from a harbour cruise the carriers USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69), USS George Washington (CVN-73), and USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78):

Aircraft carriers in Norfolk
(click "Link zur Bildergalerie" to see the photos)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:22 pm 

Holy :censored_2:...the ass of USS Ford is the most ugly design I habe seen so far. Where are the designers of the 40ties to 60ties that gave us beauties like the Essex class or Coral Sea ? :cry_3:

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?op ... Itemid=55#

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 pm 

A more serious post...

I have in my stash a Trumpeter Nimitz 2005 in 1/700, got it cheap about two years gao and so far have not looked at it closer. Now I am working, amongst other "projects" on a 1/720 America. I wanted to compare the aircraft size of Italerie and Trumpeter and opened up the Nimitz. Now...I have serious motivation problems sticking on the America subject which appears toy like against the Trumpeter Nimitz.
Now...Nimitz is a 2005 version, I have red on Wiki that she had a long overhaul/modernisation in 2010. Is there a source, like the old b&w yard pictures of the 40ties, that show what was changed in 2010, or can someone point me into th eright direction? It would be tempting to create a 2017 version...

thanks
Uwe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 pm 

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/68.htm
http://www.navsource.org/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:59 pm 

Go to http://www.navy.mil/viewGallery.asp and search for 'cvn 68'. Don't bother searching for just 'nimitz', as that'll bring up all the other photos of the rest of the class since their image captions include "nimitz-class'. Typing in 'cvn 68' will bring up other carriers as well, but a lot fewer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:06 pm 

anj4de wrote:
A more serious post...

I have in my stash a Trumpeter Nimitz 2005 in 1/700, got it cheap about two years gao and so far have not looked at it closer. Now I am working, amongst other "projects" on a 1/720 America. I wanted to compare the aircraft size of Italerie and Trumpeter and opened up the Nimitz. Now...I have serious motivation problems sticking on the America subject which appears toy like against the Trumpeter Nimitz.
Now...Nimitz is a 2005 version, I have red on Wiki that she had a long overhaul/modernisation in 2010. Is there a source, like the old b&w yard pictures of the 40ties, that show what was changed in 2010, or can someone point me into th eright direction? It would be tempting to create a 2017 version...

thanks
Uwe

Hi Uwe,

Nimitz was commissioned in 1975. The first Complex Overhaul was completed in 1984. It was in this period when the sponsons were changed/added. From the late 80's until the refueling complex overhaul was completed in 2001, Nimitz grew the domes on the island and around the flight deck. The sponsons generally stayed the same. After 2001, the sponsons were changed and the mast was changed. The Nimitz 2005 kit is pretty accurate for that time and I don't think that there have been any major external changes since 2005. So to do a 2017 version is just an updated Air Wing but not a lot of work on the ship, if any. I have not done that much research on her after 1991 when I cruised on her. The Nimitz and Ike were always a bit different in sponson layout and now the Mast. The Reagan, Nimitz, and Ike are the only three that got the "3 bar" mast. The follow on refueling overhauls starting with Carl Vinson got the "2 bar" mast similar to the Busch. So when you compare Nimitz Class Ships to each other know that they were a bit different in those respects. To do really good research, you need to get Ray Beanes Nimitz Class CDs. A must have if you are interested in doing an accurate deviation from the kit.

I would recommend using these decals for CVW-11 from Starfighter Decals and building 2005 Nimitz. No research or scratch building required.

http://www.starfighter-decals.com/70047 ... -nimi.html

The difference between the size of the Kitty Hawks and Nimitz are pretty big and amplified if you sit a 1/700 scale Nimitz next to a 1/720 America. In fact, sitting a 1/700 Nimitz next to a 1/720 Nimitz is very noticeable. A 1/720 Nimitz is roughly the correct size for a 1/700 scale Kitty Hawk ( Conny, America, JFK)

Hope that helps some. Good Luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:22 am 

Hello Mark

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. I will probably stay with the 2005 time frame then. As I said, I got the kit cheap...was (am still) thinking about trying to swap it for a 1975 version though. This is simply more "my time" ;-)
Since you mention the Kitty Hawk class...there are two carriers that I absolutly have to build: Constellation and Intrepid. Intrepid I visited in the late 80ties, already a museum but not as abused as it is right now. Constellation I was able to "crawl through" in December 1987 when she was in San Diego. I got on base with my German Army ID (unthinkable today probably) and looked at the ship. I got into a conversation with a couple of sailors and was invited the following day for a "special tour"! The ship was undergoing maintenance at that time, so no planes unfortunately. Good thing though, only a sceleton crew and no restrictions on what I was able to visit...just "no pictures" :-( The tour took a good 4h, I think I saw most of the ship from engine rooms all the way up to the top of the island. I still have the crew hat with the red/white/blue CV64 embroidery under the name! So one day I will get the big Trumpy kit and hopefully do a 1987/88 version of Connie...
The fate of CV-64 Constellation is very sad...and I hope that at least Kitty Hawk will survive as a museum. No surviving Forrestal class ship is also a shame...
thanks
Uwe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next