The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:46 am 

I read somewhere that Trumpeter had wanted to release more 1/350 kits of Nimitz Class. But they were disappointed with poor sales of initial release (USS Nimitz 1975). So Trumpeter decided not to issue any more 1/350 Nimitz-Class ships.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:51 pm 

As I said I am finalizing my list of CV and CVN to build. It was suggested that for good starter project would the IKE in 1982 with CVW7.
After some research I love this idea. The air wing was last year to deploy whales. Star fighters makes the decal set in 1/350. However they don't list the COD was it a greyhound or S-1 Tracer? Also which PE Sets should be used. I know WEM made a set for Nimitz as built. But not sure if toms is going to produce that set. Finally I have done some photo searches using google and BING. Boy they are hard to find. However what I tell is that the IKE did not get CIWS and she had the old style of BPMDS sea sparrow launchers. Thanks again.
Major-B :thumbs_up_1:

Attachments:
CV 69.jpg
CV 69.jpg [ 162.13 KiB | Viewed 3543 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:55 pm 

Thanks Adaks, that would explain no new or update for Trumpeter's 1/350 1975 Nimitz.
Pity, I would have spent my $ on a 1990+ Reagan or any Nimitz class (as example) OOB as soon as it became a pre-order. (I know a Reagan or Bush would mean a new lower hull, probably cost a lot $ to produce). How hard would it be for Trumpeter to say make a 95 Stennis in 1/350?

Thanks again for the info.
Rgds, Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:16 pm 

For CVN-70 through 75, the layouts are the same with regard to the sposnons which is the big change/upgrade needed to modify the Nimitz 1975 kit. Nimitz and IKE have always been a bit different than the others and this carries over to their last Major Overhauls as well. The Main Mast of each ship started changing in the early 90s and the various domes started showing up. Sgt Ryan has done many Modern Nimitz builds and it would be beneficial to read his work in progress threads which he covers the various mods needed to take the Trumpeter Kit to a more modern Nimitz Class.

Ray's DVD's on the Nimitz Class are an essential tool to do the upgrades. Buying a 1/700 kit of Roosevelt, Lincoln, or Stennis could be helpful with the scratch building required for the sponsons.

For a 1982 Ike, the only differences I could find were a few antenna on the mast are different from the 1975 Nimitz. It appears to be a pretty easy mod and with Starfighters CVW-7 decals it should be straight forward.

Good luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:59 pm 

Peter H wrote:
Thanks Adaks, that would explain no new or update for Trumpeter's 1/350 1975 Nimitz.
Pity, I would have spent my $ on a 1990+ Reagan or any Nimitz class (as example) OOB as soon as it became a pre-order.

I too would like to spend my money on second 1/350 Nimitz-Class kit.:) USS Ronald Reagan is my favorit.
I do not understand why sales of the first release were poor. I know that this kit is big and not cheap, but I thought that ships of Nimitz Class were popular. Mayby most people were waiting for ships in modern fit :?: I don't know.

Regards, Adam

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:35 pm 

I think outside our bubble, ships aren't that big a percentage of the modelling industry/hobby.
They might of sold a large amount to the available modellers of ships/boats but in the grand scheme of things, the return on money spent was poor.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:05 pm 

Thanks Mark.. and Yes David the C-1 was the aircraft I was thinking about. Had a senior moment when I wrote yesterday. SO as Far as PE GMiM set is the only set I seem to find. For either out of box or early 80 of Nimitz or IKE I am not sure if that set is correct. So Ryan and others what are your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:17 pm 

Hi Adam, Mark, guys
Thanks for the info. I have spent some time looking at Sgt Ryan's page and Nimitz class, his work is great & far above what I could do. For me, personally any year 1985+ Ronald Reagan in 1/350 would be excellent. But would purchase any Trumpeter upgraded Nimitz. I also have just received 3 more of Ray's Photo DVDs which are also excellent, but scratch build is not my thing unfortunately.

I have seen some of the Shapeway 1/350 work & that's also great, but they have only a few Carrier upgrades, not a "set" so to speak.

Thanks again guys

Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:08 pm 

Hi All (Update to my above post)

I am very aware of the cold war and that CVN-76 was not even launched until 2001.

I should have said a 1/350 USS Ronald Reagan at any time of her career would make a wonderful model.
Or any of the other Nimitz class that were operational after 1985. (The 1975 Model seems too early to me) Apologies if my wording seemed in poor taste.

Thanks again
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:53 pm 

Hey guys is there a good place for resource information on mid 80's fits for the Nimitz class? I have looked through the thread and it seems to be kind of one of information.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:37 am 

Step one: Pick which ship and what era you want to build. The flavor of the airwing generally drives me in that direction. There are so many differences from Nimitz 1975 to any of them 2016 that to describe them all would be giant undertaking.

There are a couple of good books but the best references are Ray Bean's DVDs

http://www.stillmotionsphotographics.co ... ographics/

I know I sound like a broken record on these threads but these DVDs are worth all of the books that you could buy from a modelers perspective. I spent a lot of money on the squadron series and other reference books and if you are looking for pics to refer to to build one of these ships, this is what you need. Friedman's U.S. Carriers is the one stop shop for information and interesting factoids but not many pics for modeling.

I made this diagram to give a general feel for the transformation of the class. I am not going to talk about Reagan or Bush here. Those two are way different and deserve there own thread. Also, there were many other changes after the RCOH Process began with Nimitz in 2005 that I am not going to capture here.

1. The island shape stayed the same. NIMITZ and Ike got a CIWIS platform in the mid 80s. There was some adding/re-arranging of the mk95 directors. The mast shape changed and SATDOME's started appearing in the late 80's into the 90's.

2. Aft Mast changed for all of them throughout the history of the ships. There are a couple of PE Sets that capture these changes. Nimitz and Ike traded SPS-43 for SPS-49 Radar.

3. Port FWD CIWIS Platform was added to Nimitz and Ike and as commissioned for CVN-70+. I am aware of at least 3 different shapes depending on time frame and the ship.

4. Stbd FWD CIWIS Platform stayed the same for Nimitz and Ike. CVN-70+ got an additional CIWIS Station here which changed the shape of the platform.

5. Port Aft Nato Sea Sparrow Platform was changed for Nimitz and Ike and CVN-70+ got a different layout that also included a CIWIS Station.

6. The Stbd Aft Platform stayed the same but an additional CIWIS Platform was added to Nimitz and Ike on the fantail and CVN-70+ had a slightly different CIWIS Platform on the fantail more off centered than Nimtz/Ike. Nimitz and Ike got the transom for docking against on the stern. CVN-70+ were commissioned that way.

Those are the big changes. There were various configurations for SATDOMES and other antenna along the way and I am sure that I missed a few others.

So pick which ship you want to build, get a ton of photos of those areas for both your pick and Nimitz as commissioned so that you can see what you have to do to the kit and have at it. Take one area at a time so that you don't get overwhelmed. It is not as hard as it might seem. The Trumpeter 1/700 kits are done pretty well and offer some guidance as to what has to be done for the other ships.

Good Luck!

Mark

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 7:39 am 

Thanks Mark!

I will be getting that DVD.

Step one is already done. Carl Vinson in 1987. During her Tiger Cruise. 1/350.

Great info and thank you for the link as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:37 pm 

Also check out SGTRYAN Builds. He has built a majority of the Nimitz Class to include the Bush, Regan, Lincoln. Again he starts with the basic kit then starts to scratch build like crazy. You find them in completed models or check out his Lincoln thread in the in-progress build section. He is a true artist and crafts man.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:56 am 

Hi Major-B & guys

Yes I have Sgt Ryan's page saved, his 1/350 updates from the basic Nimitz kits are sensational, but that level of scratch is beyond my skills. It seems then no possibility of a Trumpeter revised Nimitz class.
So even tho I would love to build a Ronald Reagan my option this or next week is to purchase the JFK kit which would be a much "cleaner" and Crisp moulding & also has the more modern Air-Wing, which I like. I just received Ray's JFK DVD which is excellent. (I think both Kitty Hawk & Connie look the goods but at moment I would go JFK)

Thanks for the info & assist.
Regards
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:19 pm 

good day,
I was looking at some photos of the USS Regan. I notice she was never fitted out with the CIWS just RAMS and NSSM. Also it hard to see where they located the Chaff and other Countermeasure. Not sure if this situation like the newer Burke Class DDG when commissioned they did not receive the CIWS either forward or aft till later on. Thanks as always
Major B :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:20 pm 

CVN-76 original fit did not have CIWS. But, during her yard time in 2012 she did receive x2 CIWS. One was added to the same sponson on the starboard side forward that has one of the Sea Sparrow launchers. The other is on the port aft corner next to the fantail. Also, in her most recent yard time last year, she receive x4 of the MK 38 25mm Machine Gun system. x2 on each side of the bow along the catwalks. One on the fantail. And the other I'm not sure where...

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:55 pm 

Thanks... for the clarification.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:43 pm 

1/700 teddy 2006 and 1/700 nimitz 2005
How true are they.. I was asked that question today at work.. I could not answer.. are they close or just one kit with different decals?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:57 pm 

The 1/700 Trumpeter Nimitz class kits do a good job of showing the differences between the ships, with specific weapon sponsors and island levels amongst other things.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:47 pm 

Nimitz came out of RCOH in 2004/05, a major refueling overhaul, and got a new mast as well. Trumpeter does a kit in 1/700 sccale of the "2005 Nimitz". They are different.

MM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 25  Next