The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:02 pm 

Good day,
I really confused now. I was looking at Ray's CD on Nimitz Class Part 1. The Ike had only one Horn instead of two not a problem. I am planning on building the Ike in 82ish time frame when I was a midshipman. Like all of Ray's CD's they are great source of information. This CD has a photo of that crash crane that comes with kit and proves it actual exists (The one that looks like a cherry picker mounted on a tow cart). So here is my question if you look at the Nimitz and Ike at the same time frame(82ish). Is the horn the only difference? Also it appears they have the some sort of ECM array that was used in 70's. Does any PE set have this?
Thanks
Major-B :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:56 pm 

I will be doing Nimitz during her second Cruise.. 1977-78 Med Cruise.. This was the last cruise with all high-vis aircraft and I have the decal set for aircraft and lots of brass to do her up right.. I was with VS-24 scouts on this cruise.. My only problem right now is good pictures of her Sea sparrow launchers... The kits are not correct as far as my memory serves..

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:32 pm 

For the BPMDS check with the shapeways guys they have a set. As far as the current configuration veterans makes a great set.. I know vendors like Brandon at free time sells them they r a high demand item.. hope this helps..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 pm 

I checked the shapeway site and could not find them... I have walked out on the launcher deck when we were in port... Oh how I wish I had taken pictures... square box shape with 8 cells.. i remember a elevation gear under the box, sigh thats all I remember.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:12 pm 

Bill,

Try out this link:

http://shpws.me/M4VJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:39 am 

Hey Guys,

Are the trumpy Nimitz BPDMS Seasparrow launchers in fact Mk 25 ones - except for their pylon pedestal that is? Incorrect anyway for any Nimitz class ship as far as I know, as the all have the Mk 29 version.

However, I was searching for Mk 25 launchers for my Enterprise backdating project and came across these Trumpy ones.

Any advice? I know Shapeways advertises both, but the price is dear for just two tiny launchers...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:55 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Incorrect anyway for any Nimitz class ship as far as I know, as the all have the Mk 29 version.

I must correct myself: it seems the first two ships in the class were originally equipped with the Mk 25 launcher.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:00 am 

Yes. CVN-68 & 69 were commissioned with x3 Mk25 BPDMS. CVN-70 was the first of the class to be built with the Mk29(x3). And also the first of the class to get CIWS(x4) and SPS-49 radar. CVN-68 & 69 didn't get the Mk29, CIWS, & SPS-49 radar until refits in the mid 80's

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:48 pm 

Thanks, Thomas!

My question remains: Trumpy's launchers are neither fish nor fowl. They have the general box layout of the mk 25 (boxes of 2-4-2), but the detailing and pylon of the Mk 29 launcher (which had two boxes of 4 tubes).

Veteran models had good Mk 29 launchers, but is there a good alternative available for the Mk 25? The Shapeways version is lacking several details in my view, therefore not value for money.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:10 pm 

I put the MK 25's from Shapeways on my 1/350 scale JFK that I backdated to 1969 era. I thought that they looked very good and the detail was sufficient. They are actually the only ones available that are accurate in that scale to my knowledge. $22 for 3 is not too bad. Anything in 3D Print is pricey.

Just to cage the gyro, the kit and any extra airwing for the 1/350 scale carriers puts you over $200 and you still will not have done any real detail work. They are pretty much in for a penny in for a pound. My JFK came in at around $850 when it was all done. It took a year to complete so it is not obvious as you get parts every now and again. I keep spreadsheets with cost data for my big projects. I was a bit shocked when I got done. That included a lighted, scratch built Hanger, with a full 1969 air wing and updates like the MK 25s, deck tractors for the 1960s, engine stands, ect.

Good Luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:04 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Veteran models had good Mk 29 launchers, but is there a good alternative available for the Mk 25? The Shapeways version is lacking several details in my view, therefore not value for money.

I have been too hard on these Shapeways Mk25 launchers: in fact they only lack the two bars on top of the canisters. I'm in contact with Greg (the designer) how to correct this. To be continued.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:08 am 

I take it the MK25 was on the earlier Nimitz?

All the pictures I have show the weapon mount to have a flat smooth top

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:24 am 

simon b wrote:
All the pictures I have show the weapon mount to have a flat smooth top
Knock yourself out with these pictures:
http://www.seaforces.org/wpnsys/SURFACE/Mk-25-missile-launcher.htm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:47 pm 

thanks

Must be the Nimitz class only then

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:22 pm 

The Mark 25 was adapted from the ASROC Launcher. A test unit was used on a couple of different ships prior to mass production. Might I suggest that the original launcher on Nimitz is this original test unit? It is definitely different than any of the other Mk25 photos I've seen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:10 am 

Thanks, Darren and Simon!

I keep on learning all the time...

And these didn't even have the gaps between the canisters, as the Shapeways version has. Greg?

Brings me to the point: which version of the Mk 25 was used on the Enterprise? Same as on the Nimitz? Or the one with the gaps and the bars?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:31 am 

This picture comes from someone else back dating the Enterprise.
What little I can see in various photos, the overall look appears to be right

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:19 am 

Hi Simon,

Yes, these really look nice indeed! And as I'm aware now of different versions, this might well be one of the original ones.

Maarten

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:39 am 

This ones from RD Bean (Hopefully ok to post)
Showing the original launcher on the Enterprise, corresponding to the model pic above.
Image007 by Simon Bird, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:15 pm 

Enterprise Mk-25 launcher 1969

I'm revising my suggestion that the Nimitz has a prototype.

To me, it looks like the 3 launchers on Nimitz and Ike, and the two on Enterprise are an early variant of the Mk-25 launcher.

All the Mk-25 Launchers installed on the Knox Class DE's in the early 70's seem to be the later variant with the gaps and bars on top, rather than the solid top.

Enterprise got the Mk-29 during her early 80's overhaul and Nimitz and Ike got them during their mid 80's Overhauls.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 25  Next