The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:06 am 

anj4de wrote:
Hello Mark

...I will probably stay with the 2005 time frame then. As I said, I got the kit cheap...was (am still) thinking about trying to swap it for a 1975 version though. This is simply more "my time" ;-) ....

I know it's a more basic kit but the Italeri kit builds a pretty accurate 1975-1982 Nimitz OOB. Actually, I'm not sure you CAN'T build a 1975 Nimitz from the Trumpy 2005 kit, with some help from Italeri spares.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm 

Does anyone have a diagram or good reference pictures of the LSO platform and meatball platform (and possibly the meatball) on Nimitz class ships?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:47 pm 

I have a few pics of both from when I was onboard USS Truman CVN-75 in August of 2016. I can e-mail them to you if you like.

Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:06 pm 

I'm not sure if this has been asked but I want to make a 1/700 USS Harry Thurman model dated during her Gulf deployment in 2005 as my wife was on HMAS Darwin at the time and I've seen a few photos with Darwin in the background.

Can I use the Italeri kit of the USS Nimitz and what changes do I need to make to bring it up to 2005 deployment.

Thank you in advance.

Brian

"starter of many, finisher of none"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:22 pm 

depends on the time period of the Italeri Nimitz?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:17 am 

No, theItaleri Nimitzis basically as-built back in 1970s, with only one sponson for the Sea Sparrow at the starboard bow and none of the Phalanx CIWS mounts or their sponsons. If you want to stick with Italeri kits, it looks like their 1999 Carl Vinson has most of the extra parts you need.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:06 am 

I have done a bit of research on this and the closest match for a "Truman" is the 1/700 Trumpeter USS John C Stennis kit. That kit is modeled in the mid 2000's so you wold not need much tweaking if any at all. The Italeri kit would require all of the sponsons and SAT Domes to update her to a Truman. There is a Stennis kit on eBay now for less than $50 delivered so the difference in price is not too bad and the level of detail the Trumpeter kit brings is very good. Also, Italeri is 1/720 scale, the Trumpeter kits are 1/700. The vast majority of aircraft are 1/700 scale. They look "not quite right" on a 1/720 scale carrier.

Good luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:26 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
No, theItaleri Nimitzis basically as-built back in 1970s, with only one sponson for the Sea Sparrow at the starboard bow and none of the Phalanx CIWS mounts or their sponsons. If you want to stick with Italeri kits, it looks like their 1999 Carl Vinson has most of the extra parts you need.

I went a bought the carl vinsion kit

Brian

"starter of many, finisher of none"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:58 pm 

Hey guys! Looking for more information on the systems that the Nimitz had aboard during the late 70's, particularly on her 1979 deployment to the Indian Ocean. Any help is much appreciated!
~Dude

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:17 pm 

Specifying my request...with images!!! If anyone knows or can point me to someone/somewhere that does, all help is welcome! Some things that I marked have already been identified. Pics are circa 1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:50 am 

I am not at home with access to all my references, but I can tell you that in the top pic, #1 is a "TACAN" radar, and#5 are just floodlights to illuminate the flight deck if need be.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:08 pm 

A little newer, but it gives an idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:10 am 

Thank you so much for the help!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:19 pm 

Doing some research for building CVN-72 down the track. Does anyone know what the average number of deck equipment carried on a Nimitz class carrier (2000 onwards). Can work out a few quite easily by looking at photos, but not always accurate. I know it is a case of less is more for creating the model, but curious on what is actually carried.

Flight Deck
Tilley Crane x 1
Large Forklift x 1 (is it usually on the flight deck or below)
P25 Fire Engine x 2 (are any spares stored in hanger deck?)
Tow tractors x ?? (are these usually below deck as well?)
Oxygen Cart x ??
Nitrogen Cart x ??

Hanger Deck
Forklifts x ??
Spotting Dollies x ??
Hydraulic carts x ??
Static Frequency Converters x ??
Oxygen Cart x ??
Nitrogen Cart x ??
Small Crane x 1

Also is there a specific spot where they are stored normally in the hanger deck? Photos I have seen suggest forward in hanger bay 1, but would assume some are scattered all over the place during the cruise.

Cheers
Carl

In the Shipyard:
1/350 - USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7 2010)
1/350 - USS Abraham Lincoln (2003)

On the Drawing Board:
1/350 - USS JFK (1991)
1/350 - USS Hancock (1965)
1/350 - USS Valley Forge (1951)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:13 am 

So, mostly from memory back 25 years, but:

When the equipment is not in use then most would probably get parked in Hanger bay one up front like you said. On the flight deck, it would probably end up in the "junk yard" which is the area behind the Island in front of L-3. The E-2 Hawkeye's get parked in there as well so leave a hole for them. That is why it is called the Hummer Hole. F-14's and E-2 Hawkeyes did not/and still don't have(E-2C or E-2D) APU's (Can't remember if Prowlers had them) for engine start. They need an electric cart and a huffer to do an engine start. By then they both had cross bleed start so the cart would be on one side. The E-2s normally start the right engine first. Tractors would be parked where you intended to pull aircraft so there were generally a couple on the bow between and just forward of the CAT #1 and CAT#2 JBD's. All aircraft had a tow bar either attached to the nose wheel or near it so if there was a fire, you didn't have to hunt one down to move aircraft in a hurry. So if you are looking to portrait a start and a launch, park the appropriate equipment next to aircraft getting ready to start. For the hanger bay, equipment would be parked next to aircraft getting work. Fork lifts were more for moving supplies and heavy parts. You would find some of them in Hanger Bay #3 aft since AIMD and the Jet Shop were aft of the hanger bay. There would also be trash dumpsters back there along with the ships boats.

Hope that helps a little.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:02 pm 

Mark McKinnis wrote:
So, mostly from memory back 25 years, but:

When the equipment is not in use then most would probably get parked in Hanger bay one up front like you said. On the flight deck, it would probably end up in the "junk yard" which is the area behind the Island in front of L-3. The E-2 Hawkeye's get parked in there as well so leave a hole for them. That is why it is called the Hummer Hole. F-14's and E-2 Hawkeyes did not/and still don't have(E-2C or E-2D) APU's (Can't remember if Prowlers had them) for engine start. They need an electric cart and a huffer to do an engine start. By then they both had cross bleed start so the cart would be on one side. The E-2s normally start the right engine first. Tractors would be parked where you intended to pull aircraft so there were generally a couple on the bow between and just forward of the CAT #1 and CAT#2 JBD's. All aircraft had a tow bar either attached to the nose wheel or near it so if there was a fire, you didn't have to hunt one down to move aircraft in a hurry. So if you are looking to portrait a start and a launch, park the appropriate equipment next to aircraft getting ready to start. For the hanger bay, equipment would be parked next to aircraft getting work. Fork lifts were more for moving supplies and heavy parts. You would find some of them in Hanger Bay #3 aft since AIMD and the Jet Shop were aft of the hanger bay. There would also be trash dumpsters back there along with the ships boats.

Hope that helps a little.

Mark

Mark that is some great information. Helps form part of the picture and even given some new ideas had not thought of.

Are there any other helpful people who could give indicative numbers on actual deck equipment carried on a cruise?

In the Shipyard:
1/350 - USS Iwo Jima (LHD-7 2010)
1/350 - USS Abraham Lincoln (2003)

On the Drawing Board:
1/350 - USS JFK (1991)
1/350 - USS Hancock (1965)
1/350 - USS Valley Forge (1951)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:01 am 

What 1/700 Nimitz kits are out there now? I’m wanting to get into this scale, and want a Nimitz as she was in 1980 during “The Final Countdown” period, and would like to build a more modern version also with a modern air wing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:26 am 

Hi Thomas,

The 1/700 Trumpeter Nimitz (Not Nimitz 2005 kit) is what you are looking for. It represents Nimitz as commissioned until the mid 80's.

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/misc/ ... /5714p.htm

Starfighter Decals does a really nice set for a 1/700 CVW-8 1980.

https://www.starfighter-decals.com/7002 ... uss-n.html

Good Luck!

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:51 pm 

Hello, first time posting but I have been lurking around for awhile during my Bismarck build. For Christmas this year I think the wife is getting me the 1/350 Nimitz, mainly because that's all I have asked for and a box showed up that had that "big model feel".

Anyway, I am looking to build the Nimitz as it was from 1984-1991. Looking ahead I wanted to get decals for it but only see StarFighters set for 75-83. Can anyone point me to a option for the era I am looking for?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:51 am 

Hello Tinner7,

I cruised Nimitz 1991 and I am building that version of Nimitz now. Baconfist Models has done a set of the sponsons and the Island CIWIS Station for Nimitz '84-'91.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HMAY7 ... d=61378594

He used to do a set of bulkheads for the hanger bay walls. You might be able to drop him a note and see if he can set you up with those as well. There are no decal sets that I am aware of. I did mine on the computer using MS Paint. You can get a set of the updated MK-29 Sea Sparrow Launchers here:

https://freetimehobbies.com/1-350-veter ... uncher-x4/

The good news is that the Island/Mast do not need re-work for that era. It is a relatively straight forward conversion.

Good Luck,

Mark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next