The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:52 am 

roym,

I will wait. I might spend my time instead fixing the problems in the Italeri Forrestal class carriers.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:22 pm 

Soon I will be starting my 1/350 Nimitz. One question I have (more to come) is on the elevator doors. Under flight operations, would these be shut, other then to move planes to and from the hanger? Trying to plan out my model and how much detail I need to think about with my plans to display this at sea with jets landing and taking off.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:47 pm 

Tinner7 wrote:
Soon I will be starting my 1/350 Nimitz. One question I have (more to come) is on the elevator doors. Under flight operations, would these be shut, other then to move planes to and from the hanger? Trying to plan out my model and how much detail I need to think about with my plans to display this at sea with jets landing and taking off.

As I recall when I was on Nimitz, the weather more or less dictated whether the doors were open or not. Heavy seas would probably get the doors closed, nice calm seas they would be open. I did not do a North Pacific or a North Atlantic cruise so they may close them for bitter cold weather regardless of the seas. I do not believe that flight ops was a consideration. Keeping the hanger bay cooled down and ventilated was the most important thing I think.

Good luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:34 pm 

Thanks Mark. Makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:41 am 

Does anyone have Nimitz's plans including hangar and elevator plans?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:04 am 

Hi everyone, I'm starting my 1/350 build of Theodore Roosevelt from early/mid 90's while I served onboard. Does anyone have any photos of the hangerbay from that time period? Since GMM has discontinued the upgrade decals for the Nimitz class carriers, does someone know where i can score pdf's of the originals or any other decal sets to help me in my build?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:43 pm 

Skimming NARA and found 9 pages with 20 pics per on Nimitz being built at NNSY.

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=CVA(N)%20Nimitz

Very old school build, pics in black and white. Not sure if at some point during build process she was moved to a different drydock. She's really jammed in as the build progresses from 1968 to 1972. Sponsons and flightdeck beyond the hull were attached after the fine hull of the ship, it seems. I'm not a builder, but was an operator; flew in CVW-9 when she went around the world 97-98 and into RCOH. Shipyard doesn't look anything like it does today. Curious if anyone worked on her during construction?

With the life span of these ships, it's no surprise they've gotten a little heavy. I remember a NPS theses that discussed this. Surprised to see it online:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA508879.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:06 pm 

I have a very basic question regarding the Nimitz-class CVNs: What would be good colors for the hull/island, and the flight deck? I'll be starting the 1/720 Italeri CVN-71 Theodore Roosevelt in the near future, and I'd like to start prepping with the proper paints. Thanks! I ordered the Starfighter Decals CVN decals, and the Gold Medal Models photoetch.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:45 am 

Hello,

For modern (post WWII) USN Ships, I use light ghost gray for vertical surfaces and gunship gray for the decks. If you can find haze gray, that is the correct color but light ghost gray is almost identical in that scale and easier for me to get.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Good luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 am 

NYVet9296 wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm starting my 1/350 build of Theodore Roosevelt from early/mid 90's while I served onboard. Does anyone have any photos of the hangerbay from that time period? Since GMM has discontinued the upgrade decals for the Nimitz class carriers, does someone know where i can score pdf's of the originals or any other decal sets to help me in my build?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. :heh:
However, I'm doing Vinson.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:19 pm 

Paints for modern USN ships are here in the Camo and Coatings section: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=104955

The third post has what you need - note they're matches for 1:1 scale, so you might want something lighter for "scale effect" if you ascribe to that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:17 pm 

Mark McKinnis wrote:
Hello,

For modern (post WWII) USN Ships, I use light ghost gray for vertical surfaces and gunship gray for the decks. If you can find haze gray, that is the correct color but light ghost gray is almost identical in that scale and easier for me to get.

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Good luck,

Mark

That sounds good - I picked up both those colors (Light Ghost Gray and Gunship Gray) at my hobby shop today!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:38 pm 

I've startied in on the 1/720 Italeri Theodore Roosevelt build. I've clumsily searched a little on Shapeways, but was still wondering: Does anyone (on Shapeways or elsewhere) make 1/720 (or even 1/700 if that will work) Phalanx CIWS and the dual 4-round containers of Sea Sparrow launchers? I'd like to improve on the lumps of plastic provided in the kit without having to do a ton of scratchbuilding.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:36 pm 

Try this: http://shpws.me/RUCe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 pm 

Thanks - I will look into that!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:54 pm 

This wouldn't matter much when building a model, but I'm curious, and this community seems like the best bet to have someone with the knowledge that I seek. Do the Nimitz-class carriers and their older, fossil-fueled cousins carry reloads for their Sea Sparrows (or their ESSMs nowadays), or do the rounds in the launchers themselves comprise the complete arsenal?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 pm 

Here is a picture from CVN-71; reloading the Sea Sparrow underway.

Attachments:
SeaSparrowReload.jpg
SeaSparrowReload.jpg [ 346.92 KiB | Viewed 2570 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:14 pm 

gjholmes77 wrote:
Here is a picture from CVN-71; reloading the Sea Sparrow underway.

That's interesting to see, but I'm not sure it answers the question by itself. Are there any clues in the picture to indicate that those reload rounds came from the carrier's own magazines, rather than from an underway replenishment ship attached to the Roosevelt battle group?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:55 am 

NYVet9296 wrote:

Thanks

Youtube has a video with Bill Clintons visit, there are some bay shots, especially toward the end.
https://youtu.be/n6wIiy8egKU

I remember they stored the Marine Corps helicopters in the aft bay, since the chow line sometimes went up there.
Also the American flag on the port side opposite the elevator door, and the big script "TR" above the museum entrance.
RE-division 92-94

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:05 pm 

sctbrd, they have a museum on an active carrier?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 494 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next