The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 40  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 pm 

Thanks Bruce.
Just working out what would be better, a custom fibreglass deck or marine ply covered in fibreglass.
Any thoughts? It has to deal with an Aussie summer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:45 am 

Try and find some Fiberglass Sheet http://www.acpsales.com/OnlineStore.php?cat=4967

It works great. Light, easy to cut. You can use Crazy glue, epoxy, bolts etc. Sandable, paintable. Won't warp or shrink in the sun.

Here you can see it being used on my 1/96 New Jersey. It's the dirty white material.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:18 pm 

Thanks Darren, I will look into suppliers here in Oz in the new year.
On another note progressed a little on Connie. Nige, Graeme and Rob Ritchie came over today to help move Connie out of the shed to the undercover area to allow me to start putting the shafts in.
Thanks for the extra eyes guys to make sure I had it all right. Two in, AFrames to go. I'll be working on that in the next few days and then the second set after that.
Sammy Keller has also been helping me get a few birds started. He is doing great work as well.
Pics to follow.

Post subject: USS Kitty Hawk
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:01 am 

Has anyone heard of the projected USS Kitty Hawk in 1/700 by Forces Of Valor (or what ever they are called now) for 2017.
If true let's hope for a Vietnam cruise version.....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:49 pm 

It is confirmed for 2017. Was suppose to be out last year, but then disappeared from the online shops pre-order pages. But the two links below are from a pre-order page of an online store & from the Forces of Valor's Facebook page showing the 1/700 as "New" or "Coming Soon"... In both they only show an actual pic of CV-63 as she appeared late in her life. So to what time period the diecast will represent is yet to be known...

Hope this helps some,

Thomas

http://www.themotorpool.net/US-Navy-USS ... 61012a.htm

https://www.facebook.com/fovhobbies/pho ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:47 am 

Many thanks for that. I have purchased the USS Enterprise in the same series and it's a superb model...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:23 pm 

Could one use Arii/Microace's old 1/800 USS America/CV-66 kit to model her sister Kitty Hawk? On Ebay, the America kits are half the price of the rarer Arii Kitty Hawk ones.

Or was she just as different from her first two sisters as much as USS John F. Kennedy was also so different she had her own class?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:49 am 

America was different than Kitty Hawk and Conny. Different bow CAT layout, large sponsons under the elevator openings like JFK and the Island is different. A lot of work to convert. Conny and KH are interchangeable until the updates in the 1980s. Then their spons arrangements started changing.

Good luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:01 am 

Hello There CV fans!!

Among the many half started (or half -finished?!) projects I have on the go, I feel the need for building a decently detailed and accurate ship in 1/700 (1/720) which I never done, and I want to start with CV-62.

I am looking for some help locating images of this poor ship ( they begun towing her to her death in Texas last month) and although Steve Larsen did everything he could to help me , I am still in need of pictures of Indy's starboard side and stern. Actually, I won't turn down any images, but I have excellent detail-shots of her port side from when I visited her in Bremerton . (and everyone is totally welcome to all of them, just shoot me a line)

I am thanking you all in advance, here is to a super-detailed 1/720 Indy!!!

Cheers: Laci

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:44 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Ray D. Bean may be able to help. He usually can be reached on the "other" site.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:25 pm 

I was stationed on the Independence from 92-96.
You might be able to find some pics by digging through some cruise books online.. http://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:12 pm 

anyahajobuzi wrote:
Hello There CV fans!!

Among the many half started (or half -finished?!) projects I have on the go, I feel the need for building a decently detailed and accurate ship in 1/700 (1/720) which I never done, and I want to start with CV-62.

I am looking for some help locating images of this poor ship ( they begun towing her to her death in Texas last month) and although Steve Larsen did everything he could to help me , I am still in need of pictures of Indy's starboard side and stern. Actually, I won't turn down any images, but I have excellent detail-shots of her port side from when I visited her in Bremerton . (and everyone is totally welcome to all of them, just shoot me a line)

I am thanking you all in advance, here is to a super-detailed 1/720 Indy!!!

Cheers: Laci

Hi Laci,

What era? It makes a difference with the Indy. Drop me a note to:

mark_mckinnis@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:44 am 

I have the trumpeter knockoff kit of the Tamiya Enterprise. I picked it up really cheap. I was planning on using what I could for hangar deck fillers. Since the hull is similar in shape to the Forrestal Class. Can a Saratoga be build?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:56 pm 

Hi Major-B,

I have a Hobby Boss Enterprise for just such a conversion to Ranger. In addition to what has been pointed out so far to do a Forrestal Class from an Enterprise in 1/350 scale:

1) Shorten hull by around .41 inches (Enterprise was around 62 feet longer than the Forrestal's) Enterprise may be wider at the waterline but I could not find the width at the waterline. Shortening the hull is fairly straight forward, narrowing it not so much.

2) Complete rebuild of everything above the hanger deck. Hanger elevator openings all different. Sponsons all different.

3) Complete rebuild of flight deck. Elevator location and shape is different. Catapult location and JBDs all different.

3) Complete new Island and mast.

It is essentially a scratch build with a head start on the hull. Almost all of the aircraft post 1960 are available in 1/350 scale so we have that going for us!

It is a major project with numerous bottomless cans once you start digging into it.

Good luck!

Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:23 pm 

Mark McKinnis wrote:
Hi Major-B,

I have a Hobby Boss Enterprise for just such a conversion to Ranger. In addition to what has been pointed out so far to do a Forrestal Class from an Enterprise in 1/350 scale:

1) Shorten hull by around .41 inches (Enterprise was around 62 feet longer than the Forrestal's) Enterprise may be wider at the waterline but I could not find the width at the waterline. Shortening the hull is fairly straight forward, narrowing it not so much.

2) Complete rebuild of everything above the hanger deck. Hanger elevator openings all different. Sponsons all different.

3) Complete rebuild of flight deck. Elevator location and shape is different. Catapult location and JBDs all different.

3) Complete new Island and mast.

It is essentially a scratch build with a head start on the hull. Almost all of the aircraft post 1960 are available in 1/350 scale so we have that going for us!

It is a major project with numerous bottomless cans once you start digging into it.

Good luck!

Mark

WOW!!Looking forward to your build Mark! I'm using the J.F.K hull to make America which is a lot easier then what your about to do. I would do the same thing,but Trumpeter might come out with a Forrestal model.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 am 

Hi Red,

I thought about using a Trumpeter 1/350 JFK or KH to do a Ranger. At least the hull below the hanger bay would be correct. Well, correct enough. $200 for a hull is a bit pricey though. I still have so many projects to complete that Ranger will have to wait.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:14 pm 

I also thought of getting another Kitty Hawk to make CV-62. But that would take a lot of work. I don't know if America and Kitty Hawk comes out great. Will see.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:14 pm 

Image It can be done. J.F.K hull is being used.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:36 pm 

The elevators openings the same size as the Forrestal and Kitty Hawk?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:13 am 

I am not sure. I will drag out my 1/350 scale Ranger plans and take a look to do a comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 40  Next