The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:09 pm 

Fujimi 1:350 Kaga
i have all the PE and Wooden deck ready for my project.
This is the first time doing an IJN Carrier and i can use some good tips here.
Also will be using airbrush on this one and i can also use some tips on this process

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:17 pm 

Best to start a build thread under Works in Progress, and ask more specific questions as you go along. If nothing else, don;t rush, and dry fit everything beforehand. Good luck, and hope you post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:57 pm 

1/450 Shinano
I was able to pick one of these kits up. I never built IJN Carrier, also love this CV for some strange reason. My question is what PE set could be used and how many sets of aircraft are needed to make it look busy.
Thanks
Major-B :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:53 am 

This new kit looks pretty good. Unfortunately, Hasegawa has not yet released a PE set for it, AFAIK. You could cobble something together out of:

Eduard main railings set for Yamato: http://www.model-making.eu/products/Yam ... EGAWA.html

GMM set for Akagi for netting, doors, a-c props, ladders, windscreen, some supports for funnel: http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gms4508.htm

GMM generic set for IJN CVs in 1/500 could be used for the radio masts, I think: http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gmsajnac.htm

As far as airgroup, it's up to you, as she never actually carried one. The intended airgroup (from Wiki): "The ship's organic air group was intended to consist of 18 Mitsubishi A7M Reppū (Allied reporting name "Sam") fighters (plus two in storage), 18 Aichi B7A Ryusei ("Grace") torpedo-dive bombers (plus two in storage), and 6 Nakajima C6N Saiun ("Myrt") reconnaissance aircraft (plus one in storage).[7] The remainder of the hangar space would have held up to 120 replacement aircraft for other carriers and land bases."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:33 am 

Why don't the Junyo/Hiyo class have their own thread?

The Junyo's career makes her one of the more active Japanese CVs after the 6 original Pearl Harbor CVs.

And what's wrong with the Tamiya Junyo kit?

Something must be wrong that most people are selling them like hotcakes on Ebay and this kit is a common sight on IJN stash sales on our Trading post board.

And this must be another reason why the upcoming Fujimi Hiyo kit seems is warmly anticipated.

Well, anyone? Please be objective in your analysis and not refer to the usual Atma-esque "Fujimi is ALWAYS better with IJN kits" bias that seems to dominate the consensus on IJN 1/700 kits here.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:26 pm 

IIRC, you asked the same thing about the CVEs. :smallsmile: I would agree that it's probably time that the Hiyos got their own thread. The upcoming new Fujimi kit will undoutably spur interest. (Note to moderator - time for a separate thread? If yes, I'd love to have editing rights on the first post.)

Quote:
The Junyo's career makes her one of the more active Japanese CVs after the 6 original Pearl Harbor CVs.

Agreed. And, she certainly had an impact at Santa Cruz.

Quote:
And what's wrong with the Tamiya Junyo kit?

Something must be wrong that most people are selling them like hotcakes on Ebay and this kit is a common sight on IJN stash sales on our Trading post board.

And this must be another reason why the upcoming Fujimi Hiyo kit seems is warmly anticipated.

Well, it's not so much that it has that much that's wrong with it; IMHO, it's more that after 40 odd years, with the improvements in molding technology, and more time spent (supposedly) on research, a more improved tooling could be produced. The Tamiya kit was certainly one of the more detailed, and accurate kits of the initial waterline consortium offerings. Degaussing cable, detailed elevator wells, correct shapes and scaling; it still has a lot going for it. Plenty of folks have built some exquisite models of Junyo (and Hiyo) from it.

That said, there are some things that could be improved. The Tamiya kit fit is actually of her appearance as the war ended. A new mainmast, enclosure for the base of the main mast, and the addition of AA rockets and platforms all came in fall of 1944.A newer kit would delete some of this material and allow for an earlier fit. Also, the flight deck markings are all outlined with raised styrene seams, something that is pretty much out of fashion today. These are hard to shave off while preserving the scribed planking.

The only real downside to a new kit by Fujimi is that they will undoubtedly foist their overscale and incorrect flight deck planking pattern on it.

There are plenty of kits in circulation, which is why so many get offered up on Ebay. It seems kit everyone has one in their stash.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:42 am 

Dan K wrote:
This new kit looks pretty good. Unfortunately, Hasegawa has not yet released a PE set for it, AFAIK. You could cobble something together out of:

Eduard main railings set for Yamato: http://www.model-making.eu/products/Yam ... EGAWA.html

GMM set for Akagi for netting, doors, a-c props, ladders, windscreen, some supports for funnel: http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gms4508.htm

GMM generic set for IJN CVs in 1/500 could be used for the radio masts, I think: http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gmsajnac.htm

As far as airgroup, it's up to you, as she never actually carried one. The intended airgroup (from Wiki): "The ship's organic air group was intended to consist of 18 Mitsubishi A7M Reppū (Allied reporting name "Sam") fighters (plus two in storage), 18 Aichi B7A Ryusei ("Grace") torpedo-dive bombers (plus two in storage), and 6 Nakajima C6N Saiun ("Myrt") reconnaissance aircraft (plus one in storage).[7] The remainder of the hangar space would have held up to 120 replacement aircraft for other carriers and land bases."

Thanks for the tips. I've been collecting the same PE for my Shinano. I have a couple of extra aircraft sets to help fill out the deck.

My question is whether there are any brass barrels in either 1:350 or 1:700 that could be used to represent the 127 mm twins. I've looked at the 8" guns on 1:700 but the profile isn't even close.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:56 am 

Hasegawa offers both a 1/700 Shoho regular kit and her sister ship Zuiho in a Midway edition kit.

Does anyone know how historically accurate the deck marking decals of the Midway edition of Zuiho were?

Because besides the huge Hino Maru/Rising Sun towards the forward part of the flight deck, this kit seem pretty much identical to the Shoho kit's decals, as one can see from the the pics of both built kits below:

Christopher Mentzel's Shoho from the Gallery:

The Midway edition of the Hasegawa Zuiho kit:

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:28 am 

Can some one clarify if their is any difference between the SHINANO and the TAIHO? I have the 1/450 Kit of the SHINAO with an extra set of aircraft.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:54 am 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Can some one clarify if their is any difference between the SHINANO and the TAIHO? I have the 1/450 Kit of the SHINAO with an extra set of aircraft.
Thanks

Shinano is larger, has an open bow, and is on a Yamato class battleship hull.

Taiho has an enclosed hurricane bow similar to the British Royal Navy's HMS Ark Royal or the USS Lexington class carriers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:45 pm 

Quote:
Does anyone know how historically accurate the deck marking decals of the Midway edition of Zuiho were?

Because besides the huge Hino Maru/Rising Sun towards the forward part of the flight deck, this kit seem pretty much identical to the Shoho kit's decals, as one can see from the the pics of both built kits below

Sorry I missed this post. While Zuiho is confirmed to have worn a hinomaru at Midway -first photo below, there are no overheads that I know of of Shoho, and only one of Zuiho in this time period - second photo. The second photo is almost always labeled as that of Ryuho, but the features match up much better with a Shoho class carrier. The configuration is early war, so I'm inclined to accept the dating of 12-1942, which means it can only be Zuiho. If the dating is earlier, then it could either sister.

Attachments:
Zuiho with hinomaru.jpg
Zuiho with hinomaru.jpg [ 40.26 KiB | Viewed 6034 times ]
Zuiho late 1942 (maybe) Nihon no Gunkan v4 sm.jpg
Zuiho late 1942 (maybe) Nihon no Gunkan v4 sm.jpg [ 191.39 KiB | Viewed 6034 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:26 pm 

MAJOR-B wrote:
Thanks

They are two very different ships. Shinano was longer, wider and had an open bow. She was originally supposed to be the 3rd Yamato-class battleship but the decision to convert her to a carrier happened after Midway. I read somewhere that they used Taiho's island as a design basis for her island, hence the canted stack. I think Taiho was based on the Shokaku hull, but she was designed and built as a carrier from the start. The flight decks are different dimensions, with Taiho's being asymmetric along the long axis to offset the weight of the island on the starboard side, The two ships also had different main AA weapons - Shinano had 8 twin 127 mm/40-cal AA guns while Taiho had 6 twin 100 mm/65-cal AA guns. They both had the triple 25 mm guns, but with differing numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:22 am 

These illustrations might help show the differences

Attachments:
Shinano Paint Guide (Tamiya).jpg
Shinano Paint Guide (Tamiya).jpg [ 97 KiB | Viewed 5966 times ]
Taiho 1944 March illustration from Shipbucket.jpg
Taiho 1944 March illustration from Shipbucket.jpg [ 183.59 KiB | Viewed 5966 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:21 am 

Hey Dan, what's your input on the color or texture of Taiho's flight deck? I like the grey but I've heard about maybe a wooden deck?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:12 am 

I'm definitely in the wooden deck camp. If you haven't already read thru it, there's a couple of links in a post of mine on the first page of the CASF Taiho thread, about halfway down: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=22885

The eyewitness account does say the wood decking was blackened once at Tawi Tawi. I will eventually start the new Fujimi kit, and I plan on unpainted wood planking.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:01 pm 

The flight deck was wood, but had blacking applied at Tawi Tawi...an interview with one of Taiho's surviving airmen confirmed this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 pm 

hi Guys,

I'm upgrading my 1/700 Hiryu carrier and I want to replace the motor launches on the rear of the ship. Can anyone point me in the right direction on replacements.

Regards,

Brian

Brian

"starter of many, finisher of none"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:16 pm 

Well, almost all the injection kit makers offer ship's boats sets, as do some of the aftermarket injection and PE companies. It's arguable as to whose are best. Pit-Road and FineMolds are very good.

You might be better served with PE enhancements. I just saw a set dedicated the waterline consortium accessory set that's included with almost every kit, but I can't recall whose PE set that is. Maybe someone else knows it?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:27 pm 

I'm finding the Fujimi boats really nice. And with Flyhawks pe set they turn out great.

Greetings Christian

1/700 Aoshima IJN Yukikaze 1945
1/700 Rainbowmodel Fuyuzuki 1945

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:31 am 

Shelf oddity makes a PE set (designed for the Fujimi boats) which is exquisitely detailed: http://shelfoddity.com/index.php?route= ... duct_id=77 .
I have it, and the etching quality is top notch.

Cheers,

Marijn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next