The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:51 am 

Boy, that is an interesting question, something that would never have occurred to me. Why invest those extra resources in a subpar vessel?

And yet, it seems you are on to something. I did my best to play around with Photoshop, and it looks like all those mounts are covered with the enclosed smoke shielding, as you thought. Plus, I found a relatively recent illustration of Chuyo. The author obviously has come to the same conclusion.

Attachments:
Chuyo at Truk, June 1943 crop.jpg
Chuyo at Truk, June 1943 crop.jpg [ 166.64 KiB | Viewed 12263 times ]
Chuyo 1943 Illustration MG IJN CV guide.jpg
Chuyo 1943 Illustration MG IJN CV guide.jpg [ 231.08 KiB | Viewed 12263 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:50 am 

For those liking the Shinano, here are my two interpretations:

As sunk:
https://www.deviantart.com/tzoli/art/IJ ... -858463208
Attachment:
ShinanoSunk.png
ShinanoSunk.png [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 5885 times ]

and as re-designed as a carrier:
https://www.deviantart.com/tzoli/art/IJ ... -858298562
Attachment:
ShinanoDesigned.png
ShinanoDesigned.png [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 5885 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:11 pm 

I am building a 1/700 Waveline model of the IJN carrier Kaiyo I bought it many years ago. Has anyone built this kit? If so do you have any advise ect. The flight deck you have to build from a sheet of plastic card. You need to scratch build the radio masts. other platforms have to be cut out of plastic card. I am planning to build the kit as commissioned. with 8 triple 25mm mounts. I will paint the ship grey with wood decks and the red and white stern.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am 

Hello Dan K, It's been a long time since I last posted here. Currently I pre-ordered an Aoshima 1/700 Chuyo kit online. Yes that particular kit I told you about last time. When my kit arrives I'm attempting to make it look more accurate by modifying the bridge part which is looked kinda simplified and I also attempting to modify it's AA battery at the time just before her sinking. Unfortunately, I have insufficient references and I'm not satisfied on the one's provided by Google. As far as I know you're the only one who might help me by providing some line drawings of Taiyo class especially the bridge part and of course the configuration of their AA batteries. You're help will be appreciated. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:45 pm 

Interestingly enough, we addressed some of this further above, but let me address some of your questions here.

If you are planning to build Chuyo:

She was the last of the sisters to be converted to a CVE. Her conversion began in July, 1942 and was completed at the end of November. In the wake of the Midway fiasco, she was given a much heavier defensive armament than her sisters. She carried 4 twin Type 89 12.7cm/40 mounts as well as 10 triple 25mmm AA mounts. One Type 89 and three 25mm mounts on the aft, starboard side were enclosed in smoke shields like the front line carriers.

Based on photos of Taiyo in Sept, 1943, it is a near certainty that her deck was covered with a latex finish instead of wood planking at her sinking. In fact, it's likely that, unlike Taiyo, Chuyo never had planking for her flight deck.

If you haven't already done so, I would highly recommend that you view Jaroslaw Kieliszek's (Jarekk) very detailed W-I-P build of sister Unyo. Many questions that you have about details have likely been addressed there. If not, then ask away.

Jarekk's build: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=164317

Some references below.

Attachments:
Chuyo 1943 Illustration MG IJN CV guide.jpg
Chuyo 1943 Illustration MG IJN CV guide.jpg [ 125.92 KiB | Viewed 5860 times ]
Chuyo at Truk, June 1943 sm.jpg
Chuyo at Truk, June 1943 sm.jpg [ 236.78 KiB | Viewed 5860 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:04 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Interestingly enough, we addressed some of this further above, but let me address some of your questions here.

If you are planning to build Chuyo:

She was the last of the sisters to be converted to a CVE. Her conversion began in July, 1942 and was completed at the end of November. In the wake of the Midway fiasco, she was given a much heavier defensive armament than her sisters. She carried 4 twin Type 89 12.7cm/40 mounts as well as 10 triple 25mmm AA mounts. One Type 89 and three 25mm mounts on the aft, starboard side were enclosed in smoke shields like the front line carriers.

Based on photos of Taiyo in Sept, 1943, it is a near certainty that her deck was covered with a latex finish instead of wood planking at her sinking. In fact, it's likely that, unlike Taiyo, Chuyo never had planking for her flight deck.

If you haven't already done so, I would highly recommend that you view Jaroslaw Kieliszek's (Jarekk) very detailed W-I-P build of sister Unyo. Many questions that you have about details have likely been addressed there. If not, then ask away.

Jarekk's build: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=164317

Some references below.

Wow! This is what I really need. I'm so new at this forum I didn't immediately noticed about Jarekk's build. This will definitely help building my kit. Thanks for everything Dan K.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:04 pm 

You are most welcome.

By coincidence, I happen to be reading about these CVE's in the new Lengerer book (pricey, but full of info: https://daviddoylebooks.com/nonus-ships ... y-volume-2 ). One point is that these ships were all equipped with arrestor cables, contrary to some reports.

Two other things become apparent as to their relative ineffectiveness as combat units.

One is their low top speed of 21-22 knots. This limited the size of the strike group that could be launched at any given time. A slower top end meant that more flight deck length was needed for takeoff, which in turn meant less attack planes could be spotted for a strike. I can't find actual numbers, but I suspect six B5N2s might be the maximum number of attack aircraft that could be spotted for launch. Plus some fighters.

Compare that with some of the strike packages launched from Ryujo, which was a comparatively sized ship with a slightly shorter flight deck, but 7-8 knots greater top speed at 29 knots. Her first wave in the attack on the Aleutians was composed of 15 B5Ns and 3 Zeros.

The other point, which is probably even more critical, is the lack of experienced, qualified pilots for these ships. Given the limited parameters of the Japanese pilot training programs, there were too few new pilots with adequate training coming online even by late 1942. Any good newbie was siphoned off to the fleet carriers. Those sent to the CVEs had to continue their training onboard, when circumstances allowed it. As in when these ships were not acting as aircraft transports.

The Lengerer book gives an example aboard Taiyo early in 1942 when two Zeros were lost with their pilots in good weather and calm conditions, when both planes missed the arrestor cables upon landing. Not sure these just crashed, or just went over the side.

Just thought it was interesting to note.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:46 pm 

1/2000 IJN Carriers

More:
https://cyberboogie.wixsite.com/aircraf ... by-side-10

Attachments:
File comment: wii
WII Japanese.jpg
WII Japanese.jpg [ 32.56 KiB | Viewed 4115 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20