The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:29 am 

Yep, it is the late war version.

So I was right with the Grace, & the other is a Myrt scoutplane.

Thanks Dan. :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:16 pm 

Dan K wrote:
The Tamyia Zuikaku is a late war version (though tTamiya is also now marketing a Pearl Harbor version). If yours has a camouflaged version on the boxart, its late war.

IT comes with a late war a/c sprue. IIRC, 5 - A6M5 Zero, 4 B6N2 Jills, 3 D4Y2 Judys, 1 each B7A2 Grace (the gull wing) and a C2N2 Myrt (Saiun) scoutplanr

I didn't know there is a pearl harbour version... I guess u probably talking about the pearl harbour box set which got all 6 carriers? I wonder if any news of any companies wanted to make 1/350 scale of the Zuikaku Class? That will be great if there is any!... But I guess not at the moment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/acstudio/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:33 am 

Great work, looking forward to seeing more...

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:41 pm 

stunning job with all that PE. cant wait to see her finished this is looking to be a beatuiful model :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:05 pm 

What a superb model & a superb carrier.

Certainly one of the nicer never built & historical too !!!

Jef :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:55 am 

Thought I'd start a topic reguarding the paint schemes on some of the IJN carriers and other navies. Of course the use of greens, blacks and browns was somewhat ineffective to hide the true character of the ship, but it sure made for some dramatic looking ships versus the simple gray that most other navies used. On this topic, if these colors were ineffective to hide the ship visually what colors may of done better? Personally I think various blue grays and blues may of done better as seen through a sub periscope with the open sky as the background or a dive bombers view of a blue ship top against the blue of the ocean would of possible confused where the ship began and ended on these backdrops.

A second topic is the IJN Hiyo. I'm going to be kitbashing a Junyo into a Hiyo in the comming months and wonder why no one makes a kit of the Hiyo outright. Is the history of the Hiyo so uneventful that it is not worth the bother?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:26 pm 

[i][I] wonder why no one makes a kit of the Hiyo outright. Is the history of the Hiyo so uneventful that it is not worth the bother?[/i]

With regard to HIYO, some bad luck caused her to just miss some important battles in 1942. She was commissioned too late to participate in the Aleutian campaign with JUNYO. A fire in a generator room caused her to miss Santa Cruz, while her sister's aircraft helped sink HORNET.

After Santa Cruz, HIYO didn't see combat in a fleet action until June 1944, when she was sunk. JUNYO survived the war.

Those things probably make HIYO less marketable than other carriers, including JUNYO.

Unfortunately for me, my favorite carrier is probably the least well documented of the prewar Japanese carriers. So even tho she participated in the attack on Pearl Harbor and was sunk at Midway, and the UNRYU class carriers trace their linage back to her, my dreams of one day holding a 1:350 scale SORYU in my hands seem likely to not be realized.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:06 pm 

Copied from the locked thread (sorry about that)--

(I) wonder why no one makes a kit of the Hiyo outright. Is the history of the Hiyo so uneventful that it is not worth the bother?

With regard to HIYO, some bad luck caused her to just miss some important battles in 1942. She was commissioned too late to participate in the Aleutian campaign with JUNYO. A fire in a generator room caused her to miss Santa Cruz, while her sister's aircraft helped sink HORNET.

After Santa Cruz, HIYO didn't see combat in a fleet action until June 1944, when she was sunk. JUNYO survived the war.

Those things probably make HIYO less marketable than other carriers, including JUNYO.

Unfortunately for me, my favorite carrier is probably the least well documented of the prewar Japanese carriers. So even tho she participated in the attack on Pearl Harbor and was sunk at Midway, and the UNRYU class carriers trace their linage back to her, my dreams of one day holding a 1:350 scale SORYU in my hands seem likely to not be realized.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:07 pm 

We actually did have a Hiyo thread about 2 weeks ago - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33249

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:51 pm 

I wouldn't give up the ship too soon Chris. In the dim recesses of my memory banks, I seem to recall one of our board members hearing an Aoshima rep at either the 2006 or 2007 IPMS nationals talk about the company's 1/350 Soryu project. It sounded like some some serious R&D was afoot. IMHO:

1) I believe the IJN floodgates have begun to burst open. We are on the cusp of getting not 1 but 2 Kongo offerings from Aoshima and Fujimi. The spreadsheet Nagato is selling like hotcakes in Japan and an Akagi is on the way.

2) If Akagi sells well, even with the expected big $$$ price tag, I think we will see every Pearl Harbor carrier at least. Down the road, a new tooled Shinano, new Taiho and Junyo would probably be within reasonable hope.

It's a great time to be an IJN fan!!

John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:20 pm 

I wouldn't give up the ship too soon Chris. In the dim recesses of my memory banks, I seem to recall one of our board members hearing an Aoshima rep at either the 2006 or 2007 IPMS nationals talk about the company's 1/350 Soryu project.

If this is true, next to getting married and having kids, this would undoubtedly be the greatest day of my life.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open.

Thanks!!

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:20 am 

Tamiya is supposed to be releasing a Noshiro sometimes in the future. Other than the Sakawa that was one kit Tamiya did not release of the Agano class.Tamiya should use Dan Kaplan's Noshiro as a guide, truly excellent model. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: . If they going to release the Noshiro, I believe they might be releasing Hiyo sometime in the distant future????? They could use the Junyo kit to backdate it to the Battle of Santa Cruz version that I hope they would do???? See what happens when I have too much coffee in the morning! :heh:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:40 am 

Oh, boy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:06 am 

People looking for Japanese carriers try the Nihon Kiagun site it is a good information site on the Imperial Japanese Navy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 am 

Hi,

I'm preparing to begin work on the Tamiya Junyo, and was wondering if anyone knew what time period this kit represents?

Thanks,

Bill

My model page: http://www.porkchopper.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:32 pm 

The Tamiya kit is late 1944-45. IIRC, some minor changes are needed for it to be fully accurate but they are minor (like actual placement of the 25mm AA added to the bowmost part of the flight deck)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:22 am 

Deck edge safety nets - to add them, or not to add them, that is the question. Ok so what's the score with these? I have been looking at what photos I have and pictures of other people's models in the likes of Model Art and it seems this is something a bit random. The only photos I've seen that clearly show anything are of Junyo - and it doesn't have them in the pic I've seen. I've seen models of Akagi, Hiryu and Ryujo with them but not many on others. Now I'm pretty much rebuilding my entire IJN collection (of most ship types!) so Im trying to plan what detail parts I need. I'm currenty making Kaiyo (not far off done) and then I have Chiyoda to do (when I have the PE instructions figured). I also have the following in my stash - Unryu (+ PE), Shinano, Taiho, Junyo, Hiyo, Zuikaku, Shokaku, Hiryu, Ryujo, Shoho and Zuiho. So you can see I have plenty of planning to do!
Next is etch parts. I know GMM do a generic IJN carrier set (i have it) and Toms do some etch (again I have it). I have also seen Tom's and Hasegawa etch for Shoho and Zuiho but I need recommendations and advice on other potential etch. Is there any other ship specific etch for any of the ships in my list (I haven't found any yet)? I know Lion roar do bits like carrier masts and I know you can get etch AA guns but what other bits might I need? For example, I have some Lion roar degaussing cable - which carriers had that fitted? If anyone can think of any other ideas as well, that would be good too.

tia

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:28 pm 

Just a heads up, Fujimi`s retooled 1/700 Ryujo is now released:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10098701

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:00 am 

I'm about to attempt my first carrier, the IJN Chuyo 1/700 by Aoshima. My eyesight is not as good as it was 25 years back, could any kind soul identify the two Tamiya colours used on the hull plus that used on the aircraft from the picture below please?

This excellent example of the model is not mine but from someone going by the name of potchip.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:47 am 

Having not worked with the greens as of yet, I'm not certain. I think the darker color is XF-70 Dark Green 2 but the lighter one should have some blue in it. I actually think the XF-65 Field Grey is a good match. FWIW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next