The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:53 am 

none according to this link. http://www.cv6.org/ship/armament.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:52 am 

The new Trumpeter kit in 1/700 has what appears to be 50 cals being placed in the very forward tubs on the flight deck (above the bow mounted 1.1) and a 20mm on either side of bow mounted 1.1. There is nothing for the stern boat deck with the exception of the 20mm cut into the stern flight deck round down above. If no 50 cals per previous post what then was in those forward tubs and is placement of the other 20mm bow and (and) maybe stern accurate?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:00 am 

Which kit are you talking about, Bill?

(Be sure to click "New Reply" and not "New Topic" when viewing an existing thread if you want your post to show up in that thread)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 am 

he is talking about CV-6 USS Enterprise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:45 pm 

There has been a great debate going on over who makes the best 1/700 CV-6 Enterprise...Tamiya (scales off and bad hull) Trumpeter (bad hull) and the new Academy (good detail and best hull yet)...what about the new trumpeter CV-6 which I understand is a NEW KIT! I got one at the IPMS show in Phoenix and was curious how it compares to the Academy kit? Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:02 am 

I think the Trumpeter one has something’s better than the Academy one. It has usable 5”/38 cal Guns, the Academy ones appear to be blobs reminiscent of the blobs for 5”/25 cal Guns in the old Matchbox Indianapolis kit, though actually better. But you can replace them for about $10 so not a great big deal unless you’re on a budget.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm 

So has anyone seen pictures of the newest Trumpeter Enterprise (CV-6) and if the hull has been much improved? Debating buying that or the Academy one. Thanks.

Building: 1/700 USS San Francisco 1942 fit
1/700 CV-3 Saratoga 1944 fit (Tamiya kit)
1/48 Beaufighter MkX (Tamiya)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:05 pm 

Hi all, as this is my first post in this CASF thread please forgive me if whar I ask is out there already'

I have a mad notion to make a dio of CV-6 and CVN-65 passing each other at sea. (And another with CVAN-65 circa 1962 and CVN-65 circa 2012....)

I have the Tamiya kit of CV-6 and Revells old faithful CVN-65 and understand the Tamiya kit is underscale for 1/700 but should fit nicely with Revell's 1/720 kit.

My question is what era does she represent best? And then what paint scheme would that be? (Translated to Humbrol if possible please!)

Thanks.
Roy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:10 pm 

roym wrote:
I have the Tamiya kit of CV-6 and Revells old faithful CVN-65 and understand the Tamiya kit is underscale for 1/700 but should fit nicely with Revell's 1/720 kit.

My question is what era does she represent best? And then what paint scheme would that be? (Translated to Humbrol if possible please!)

Unfortunately, the Tamiya kit doesn't have a single timeframe. The bridge and its associated 1.1" mountings were from the period prior to the Santa Cruz battle (bridge altered during repairs between Eastern Solomons - Aug '42 - and Santa Cruz - Oct '42, bridge is Aug '42 or earlier). But the Tamiya kit has the 40MM twin mount tubs around the forward flightdeck which were not added to the ship until late 1943. The 20MM battery is most consistent with the Oct '42 timeframe, with the cutouts in the after rounddown. Basically, you can pick your "era" because something will fit the time, while other parts will need to be altered to fit - no matter which era you pick.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:05 pm 

FYI, I have recently gotten a few new Yorktown class kits. I have a Tom's replacement hull for the Hornet. In matching it against a couple trumpeter hulls, the 5727 Hornet and the 6706 Yorktown, it looks like they changed the hull waterline dramatically. It basically matches (or pretty close) to the Yorktown hull now.

If this is redundant, I apologize, but hope this helps someone.

Building: 1/700 USS San Francisco 1942 fit
1/700 CV-3 Saratoga 1944 fit (Tamiya kit)
1/48 Beaufighter MkX (Tamiya)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am 

I've probably just overlooked it, but what was the Yorktown/Enterprise flight deck length. I have many references, but I find no definitive answer. I can't find my plans for Yorktown, so until I gent new ones, I'm looking for help.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:19 am 

Friedman's gives the FD length as 802'. I think this is right because LOA is 824' which accounts for the 10' or so of the bow and 12' for the round downs fore and aft.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:27 pm 

I found my tube of plans and by my measurement and the scale marks the FD appears to be about 816’ give or take. The round downs in the drawings appear to total about maybe 10 ft.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:25 pm 

Enterprise at New York, October 1945. Photographed from Midway. Photos were in the 19LCM record group at the US National Archives, in a folder labeled "deck covering". This is a crop from a much larger photo.
Attachment:
CV6atNY_Oct1945.jpg
CV6atNY_Oct1945.jpg [ 336.78 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:05 am 

Fabulous find. There's colour video footage of the navy day celebration in New York, Oct 45. Its on YouTube, I think. An amazing line up of ww2 warships.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:33 pm 

Is this the footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6S3RxGFQ0c

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:53 am 

scots navy wrote:
There has been a great debate going on over who makes the best 1/700 CV-6 Enterprise...Tamiya (scales off and bad hull) Trumpeter (bad hull) and the new Academy (good detail and best hull yet)...what about the new trumpeter CV-6 which I understand is a NEW KIT! I got one at the IPMS show in Phoenix and was curious how it compares to the Academy kit? Anyone?

If I read that correct, Trumpeter makes 2 different 1/700 CV-6 kits, and the newest one is the best one out there? What is the product # for it so we make sure we order the correct one? Also, what is the best PE for it, for railings, such, if it doesn’t already come with some?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:19 am 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
scots navy wrote:

If I read that correct, Trumpeter makes 2 different 1/700 CV-6 kits, and the newest one is the best one out there? What is the product # for it so we make sure we order the correct one? Also, what is the best PE for it, for railings, such, if it doesn’t already come with some?

The Trumpeter Hornet kit has the bad hull. Tamiya has a good hull from before Enterpise was bulged, but the hull shape is accurate, but it’s about 1/719 scale.
Trumpeters new Yorktown and Enterprise kits are good, but Enterprise isn’t perfect since it’s supposed to be after Midway from the armaments, but is includes TBD’s which were gone after Midway. But there are plenty of TBF’s in my spare parts drawers from the earlier carrier kits that had no TBD’s but plenty of TBF’s.
Academy has good shape, but details on it are very poor. You can buy new guns for it, but OOB it’s poor, IMHO.

“Oh”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:07 pm 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
If I read that correct, Trumpeter makes 2 different 1/700 CV-6 kits,

They didn't, actually - Trumpeter had molded only Hornet using the old, bad hull. There was no bad-hulled Enterprise or Yorktown. Any discussion of Enterprise and Yorktown using the old, bad hull is based on converting the Hornet kit.

The Enterprise they did make uses the new, good hull, and is item #6708: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10516972

Sadly, the "new" hull is waterline only, so the corrected hull isn't as evident as it would be otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:38 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
If I read that correct, Trumpeter makes 2 different 1/700 CV-6 kits,

They didn't, actually - Trumpeter had molded only Hornet using the old, bad hull. There was no bad-hulled Enterprise or Yorktown. Any discussion of Enterprise and Yorktown using the old, bad hull is based on converting the Hornet kit.

The Enterprise they did make uses the new, good hull, and is item #6708: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10516972

Sadly, the "new" hull is waterline only, so the corrected hull isn't as evident as it would be otherwise.

Ah ok I got it now.

How’s the Merit 1/200 Hornet hull stack up?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next