The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:17 am 

Martin -
Roger, copy all. I did not use the inner bulkheads from the Merit kit because I had my own inner structure already. So I see what the issue is - didn't have THAT problem.
The Infini detail set is like a dream and a nightmare come true at the same time. Since I started HORNET scratchbuilding because of the lousy Trump 1/350 kit, I got to the point where I realized I would have to scratch everything since the Trump kit had almost no true scale pieces to contribute. Then came the Merit kit for CV-5 which was obviously a cut above. Then came Infini and I am over the top. Then I start to try to integrate the three components into one. And then I learned the true pain of getting my wish. It has been work. So I know what you are saying, brother.
As we know, HORNET is not YORKTOWN or ENTERPRISE, so there is still some scratching even with the 7,382 parts in the Infini set (an exaggeration, perhaps, it may only be 7,289.).
Good luck with the completion - it will look fine from what I can see. The scale Red Lead sections are a nice weathering touch!
John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:30 am 

Ages ago Tracy posted an extensive list of Air Group and associated aircraft for CV-3 on the Saratoga thread. I was wondering if there is a place where I can find a similar breakdown for the pre-war Enterprise Air Group? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:32 pm 

what time frame does Merit International Enterprise depict?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:05 pm 

chuck wrote:
what time frame does Merit International Enterprise depict?

Santa Cruz, October 1942

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 am 

FRAMSailor wrote:
Ages ago Tracy posted an extensive list of Air Group and associated aircraft for CV-3 on the Saratoga thread. I was wondering if there is a place where I can find a similar breakdown for the pre-war Enterprise Air Group? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For what it's worth, most of the Saratoga information was collected from John Fry's Saratoga book. I haven't found a similar piece for CV-6, although the history is shorter and there was less change for her so it should be "fairly" simple to flesh out if I can get some time.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 am 
Hi all,

(not looking to build a super,super accurate award winning Big E, just a nice BIG display model for myself)

Thinking about a Midway Enterprise -
What exactly would I need to work on/scratch build/change if I went with a Trumpeter 1/200 Yorktown?
(I know the Island is slightly different - what else?).

My modeling skills are very good, I can scratch build simple structures with good blueprints/photos (if in correct scale - I goof up when trying to rescale..)

Availability of aftermarket PE or extra planes at 1/200?

On the ebay a 1/350 Merit Big E is around $200 +/-
a 1/200 Trumpeter Yorktown is a little over $300
Both doable, just don't tell the wife..........

Anyone build/convert the 1/200? (I did a search of the forum, nothing popped)

Thanks!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 746 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38