The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1015 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 pm 

The 1/200 hull is a midpoint between the terrible old Hornet hull and the optimal new/fixed hull. I think it's good enough to avoid the tanker shape of the old hull, though it perhaps doesn't have quite the same good lines as the Merit 1/350 and Trumpy 1/700 new hulls.

One solution for the 1/700 if you want a full hull would be to get the Trumpy Enterprise and the Academy kit, and use the latter's lower hull. One board member reports that it's nearly a snap-fit: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=167216#p739437

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
The 1/200 hull is a midpoint between the terrible old Hornet hull and the optimal new/fixed hull. I think it's good enough to avoid the tanker shape of the old hull, though it perhaps doesn't have quite the same good lines as the Merit 1/350 and Trumpy 1/700 new hulls.

One solution for the 1/700 if you want a full hull would be to get the Trumpy Enterprise and the Academy kit, and use the latter's lower hull. One board member reports that it's nearly a snap-fit: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=167216#p739437

How far off is the 1/200 hull that anyone comparing photos of the real ship to the model will actually notice? Perhaps best to wait for the Trumepter 1/200 kits and order an extra hull from them, and install the Hornet parts from the hanger deck up?

Defoe will get the Trumpeter 1/700 CV-6.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 pm 

It is my understanding that Merit made a decent attempt on fixing the bow and stern, but missed the mark in the centre where it's still vertical rather than flaring out slightly as one goes from from waterline to hangar deck. It's pretty subtle in my opinion, and certainly most people wouldn't know what to look for anyway, so if you're building to meet the approval of folks around you everyday life, go for it. Of course, there are some on here who are more discerning with stronger opinions on this, and other issues (including parts above the hull).

That being said, I wouldn't expect a Trumpeter 1/200 Yorktown/Enterprise to have the fully corrected hull of the 1/350 and 1/700 releases, since they already have the 1/200 molds for the Merit Hornet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:43 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
It is my understanding that Merit made a decent attempt on fixing the bow and stern, but missed the mark in the centre where it's still vertical rather than flaring out slightly as one goes from from waterline to hangar deck. It's pretty subtle in my opinion, and certainly most people wouldn't know what to look for anyway, so if you're building to meet the approval of folks around you everyday life, go for it. Of course, there are some on here who are more discerning with stronger opinions on this, and other issues (including parts above the hull).

That being said, I wouldn't expect a Trumpeter 1/200 Yorktown/Enterprise to have the fully corrected hull of the 1/350 and 1/700 releases, since they already have the 1/200 molds for the Merit Hornet.

I thought Trumpeter said that their 1/200 Yorktown/Enterprise were all new tools? I must have read it wrong if they are just modifying the Merit Hornet kit....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:11 pm 

Won't know for sure until they're actually released. But for what it's worth, their catalogues never specify "New Tool", only "New", and certainly avoid any mention that they've previously done work for other brands.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:23 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
Won't know for sure until they're actually released. But for what it's worth, their catalogues never specify "New Tool", only "New", and certainly avoid any mention that they've previously done work for other brands.

Well, if they re-use the Hornet parts, it would make it easier to build them and display them together and have them look consistant, since the same tape and paint method to add hull plating would be used on both hulls.

If they are new tools, then I’d expect the new hulls to have molded on hull plating.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:43 am 

What are the colors of the hanger deck interior on these vessels? If memory serves, the bulkheads and overheads are white, but the deck was standard deck grey....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:52 am 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
What are the colors of the hanger deck interior on these vessels? If memory serves, the bulkheads and overheads are white, but the deck was standard deck grey....

Conventional wisdom has always said white, but Mr. White (Tracy, that is), has postulated that, at least pre US involvement in and early in the war, the bulkheads and overheads were a silver or aluminum color. Looking at photos, he may be right.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:10 am 

Discussed with some photos about seven pages back. :thumbs_up_1:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:39 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Discussed with some photos about seven pages back. :thumbs_up_1:

So the answer is inconclusive, and white would be a safe bet, but if one went with aluminum, the photos would be hard to proof wrong? :heh:

I’m in the time period of the Doolittle Raid for Hornet, and whatever time frame Trumpeter’s 1/700 Enterprise portrays the ship...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:03 pm 

I had hoped to research this during my fall archives trip last week, but work kept me so busy up to the point of my flight out (I even bought wireless to work on the flight out) that I wasn't able to prepare for this search in advance and rolled with some simpler ones I had planned out as backup searches some time ago. The Navy classified paint as a "preservative coating" and had eight major sub-classifications defined. The "General Correspondence" files for the war has a section of S19 that is 45 boxes long. The S19-1 code in which "Painting, structural, inside" is contained is 26 of those boxes, and clearly a little bit of work to go through. I had hoped to narrow it down a bit more, but punted and instead grabbed the 1942, 43, and 1944 "Secret General Correspondence" boxes (one each for each year) hoping there would at least be some interesting S19-7 (camouflage) info in there.

I believe the hangar spaces were some sort of metallic paint, but I try to be very careful to say that it is conjecture and not proven. I have high standards of proof and truth and won't say otherwise until I find a document I can post or show to prove it and also say when it changed.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:09 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
I had hoped to research this during my fall archives trip last week, but work kept me so busy up to the point of my flight out (I even bought wireless to work on the flight out) that I wasn't able to prepare for this search in advance and rolled with some simpler ones I had planned out as backup searches some time ago. The Navy classified paint as a "preservative coating" and had eight major sub-classifications defined. The "General Correspondence" files for the war has a section of S19 that is 45 boxes long. The S19-1 code in which "Painting, structural, inside" is contained is 26 of those boxes, and clearly a little bit of work to go through. I had hoped to narrow it down a bit more, but punted and instead grabbed the 1942, 43, and 1944 "Secret General Correspondence" boxes (one each for each year) hoping there would at least be some interesting S19-7 (camouflage) info in there.

I believe the hangar spaces were some sort of metallic paint, but I try to be very careful to say that it is conjecture and not proven. I have high standards of proof and truth and won't say otherwise until I find a document I can post or show to prove it and also say when it changed.

While, taking into account “scale effect” on a 1/700 subject, for the hanger interior, I wouldn’t be using straight white, nor aluminum either. Probably a very light grey would be the color, for the scale effect of both white and aluminum in 1/700 I’m thinking....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:09 pm 

I would think a dull aluminum (not dark, but not shiny) would probably look most in scale.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:31 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
I would think a dull aluminum (not dark, but not shiny) would probably look most in scale.

Possibly. I’m trying to think of a color that when scale effect is applied, would satisfy representing both white and aluminum, so which ever one you eventually confirm, would be covered. :cool_2:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:04 pm 

Despite my researching I am firmly in the "it's your model; build it how you want to" camp.

Or, if you want to play it safe, we KNOW they were painted white at some point. We don't know if and when some form or Silver was used. At most if we find documentation supporting it, people can say "it's wrong for the time period." *IF* we don't or find documentation disproving it they can say "what were you thinking, you goober?????"

So, white is safer. :thumbs_up_1:

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:10 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Despite my researching I am firmly in the "it's your model; build it how you want to" camp.

Or, if you want to play it safe, we KNOW they were painted white at some point. We don't know if and when some form or Silver was used. At most if we find documentation supporting it, people can say "it's wrong for the time period." *IF* we don't or find documentation disproving it they can say "what were you thinking, you goober?????"

Probably true, but I doubt straight white is a good choice when applying scale effect on a 1/700 model. On a 1/200 model on the other hand.... :heh:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:46 pm 

The flight deck was stained with Norfolk 250N or was it 21/251?

Also these ships have an armor belt. Should this be visible in 1/700 and 1/200?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:59 pm 

You haven't said when you're doing yours, but Flight Deck Stain 21 didn't come about until 1943.

Armor belt:

Attachment:
YKTN_Class.jpg
YKTN_Class.jpg [ 174.19 KiB | Viewed 5171 times ]

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 am 

Tracy White wrote:
You haven't said when you're doing yours, but Flight Deck Stain 21 didn't come about until 1943.

Armor belt:

Attachment:
YKTN_Class.jpg

I’m doing mine for whatever time frame the Trumpeter kit portrays.

I’ll have to represent the armor belt on the 1/200 model with some Evergreen stock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:15 pm 

Tracy White wrote:

Tracy,
It would be interesting if the use of Silver is proven. Silver Oxide paint was quite popular during this time as a protective coating that was bright, slip proof, and durable. Many of the industrial buildings in my home town from the period are painted with it. Also, my garage was built in 1935 and was painted both inside and out with the stuff and has held up for over 80 years. So it wouldn't be too far fetched to see it used in military marine applications.

Scott

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1015 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 51  Next