The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1015 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 51  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:01 pm 

What time frame does the Trumpeter 1/700 kit represent the ship? I’m thinking 1942....

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 pm 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
What time frame does the Trumpeter 1/700 kit represent the ship? I’m thinking 1942....

Fall of 1942. Mixture of 1.1 on bow, 40mm before and after the Island. 20mm on the aft roundown of the FD

“Oh”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:33 pm 

if fall of 42 it then has to be October the earliest as that is when she got 4 quad 40mm aa mounts while still having 1 quad 1.1" aa mount & 44 single 20mm aa guns. http://www.cv6.org/ship/armament.htm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:40 am 

The torpedo bulges were added in late 1943 if memory serves? I haven’t actually looked closely at any pics to see if it’s visible above the waterline.

I hope if the upcoming 1/200 Trumpeter kit is a complete new tool and not a reuse of the 1/200 Hornet hull, they made it a late war variant....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:54 am 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
The torpedo bulges were added in late 1943 if memory serves? I haven’t actually looked closely at any pics to see if it’s visible above the waterline.

I hope if the upcoming 1/200 Trumpeter kit is a complete new tool and not a reuse of the 1/200 Hornet hull, they made it a late war variant....

No bulges on the kit

“Oh”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:21 pm 

Captain Morgan wrote:
Thomas E. Johnson wrote:

No bulges on the kit

So the 1/200 kit will likely reuse the 1/200 Hornet hull...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:31 pm 

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:
So the 1/200 kit will likely reuse the 1/200 Hornet hull...

It's possible, but I wouldn't say "likely". They could have easily reused the bad Hornet hull for the new Yorktown and Enterprise kits, but they gave us a new tool. Hopefully they'll do the same for 1/200.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:32 pm 

Early 1942 with USS Avocet. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:45 am 

I'm blown away. How on earth did you come by this picture?

Thanks for sharing.

Episode 05: Builder's Trials
Guided Tour1: Hangar Deck

ESSEX CLASS TIMELINE
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 Operational History
USS Shangri La, 1945 in Color

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:03 pm 

Well it looks like the 1/200 Trumpeter kit will reuse the smooth hull of the Merit Hornet kit, judging from a photo shown in a new link in the 1/200 Titanic thread in the main forum.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:12 pm 

Why is Enterrprise missing the starboard anchor in the pic above?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 am 
Probably to reduce topside weight due to increase in AA armament, ammo lockers, ammunition, etc..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:17 pm 

Anyone building the Merit Enterprise? When you get to step 8, the call out in the instructions for part PE-C21 is wrong. That inclined ladder is too short. I substituted part PE-C24 instead, which I couldn't find mention of elsewhere in the instructions.

Also - anyone having - or had - trouble getting the flight deck to fit flush with the hull? I know I'm kind of a hack, but jinkies, the fit is awful. I'm just not sure if it's me, or the model.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:20 am 

Martin,

I had the same issues when I built the Big E a few years back. Definitely not you, the kit runs from beautiful engineering in one component to maddening crap in the next. I’ll see if I can restore the images, but you can see some of the frustration I had with my build here
Merit Enterprise Build

She is definitely a kit that you need to mentally build before physically, can’t remember which step but there was something I vaguely remember that if you followed instructions, the next assembly wouldn’t fit.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the kit!

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:35 am 

taskforce48 wrote:
Martin,

I had the same issues when I built the Big E a few years back. Definitely not you, the kit runs from beautiful engineering in one component to maddening crap in the next. I’ll see if I can restore the images, but you can see some of the frustration I had with my build here
Merit Enterprise Build

She is definitely a kit that you need to mentally build before physically, can’t remember which step but there was something I vaguely remember that if you followed instructions, the next assembly wouldn’t fit.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the kit!

Matt

I should have meditated with the hull in hand before building....why didn't I think of that! :doh_1:

Thanks Matt - I appreciate knowing it's not all me. IF I ever build their Yorktown, I'm definitely going to approach the build much differently.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:40 pm 

What section are you having issues with? It is very similar to theHornet Kit in construction so I may be able to offer insight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:54 pm 

Angeliccypher wrote:
What section are you having issues with? It is very similar to theHornet Kit in construction so I may be able to offer insight.

I'm building the 1/350 kit - are you talking about the 1/200 Hornet?

I wrestled the flight deck into place, but it was a chore, especially by the forward and aft elevators.

Here's a photo just before I wet sanded the puttied areas over the kitchen sink. Which I can do, without fear of repercussion, as a bachelor. :)
Attachment:
CV6_Bondo.jpg
CV6_Bondo.jpg [ 194.83 KiB | Viewed 5419 times ]

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:45 pm 

The deck was a chore on the 1/350 CV-8 as well. It was not unlike a bad game of wack a mole. The construction is similar between the two kits. If it is not perfectly lined up with all the different bulkheads you will spend a lot of time swearing. I did a lot of dry fitting as I glued each piece in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 am 

Martin -
Not sure if this will be helpful, or too late to help.
I am using parts of the Merit YORKTOWN kit to flesh out my scratchbuilt HORNET effort. Am also using Infini Detail UP set and wooden deck. I was having trouble getting the flight deck to mate with the hangar bulkheads. Some of this I put down to the slight scale differences between a scratchbuilt model made from scaled down plans. However, when I started comparing actual plans to the Merit pieces, there were areas where the plastic did not reflect the plans. In particular, the Merit flight deck is flush with the port side hangar bulkhead along the middle half of the bulkhead. Actually, looking at the plans, the bulkhead is inset toward ship centerline a significant amount. I accounted for this offset by modifying the step on the underside of the flight deck to allow the bulkhead to move toward the centerline. Since my hull was scratchbuilt to those same plans, everything fits fine: flush to the hangar deck edge and I get the proper inset for the bulkhead structure relative to the flight deck edge. This also implies that the port catwalks in those areas are not flush with the hangar bulkhead but are flush with the flight deck edge. (This effect is seen clearly in the Santa Cruz HORNET pictures, and is also seen in photos of CV-5 and CV-6). I did not use the Merit hangar deck, but I suspect I would have ended up with an outward canted hangar bulkhead at the top down much of the port side to meet the various molded guides on the hangar and underside of the flight deck.
BTW, the Infini wood deck has the correct size palisades and also the torpedo elevator adjacent to the #2 elevator and the bomb elevators near the forward end of the island. Merit deck does not - at least for YORKTOWN donor kit I am using. Deck comes with P/E for those elevators , palisades, and aircraft elevators. It hides multiple sins from the original plastic deck. 'Jes sayin" . . .
John

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 pm 

Thanks John. The problem on the Merit kit seems to be the "inner" bulkheads, which look to be the same height as the outside bulkheads. With a notch in the side of the flight deck edge, that fits into the inner edge of the outer bulkhead, and an inner bulkhead the same height, something isn't going to fit.

For anyone building this kit, I'd suggest leaving the catwalks off until AFTER the flight deck is on.
Attachment:
CV6_041119_01.jpg
CV6_041119_01.jpg [ 143.84 KiB | Viewed 5311 times ]

Attachment:
CV6_041119_02.jpg
CV6_041119_02.jpg [ 156.72 KiB | Viewed 5311 times ]

I'm building this model for a display at the Rivervale NJ Library, which houses some Enterprise artifacts, foremost among them a piece of Enterprise's stern, where her name was welded on. So, while I'm trying to make a good looking model for the display, I'm willing to accept some warts, as no IPMS judge will ever lay eyes upon her. Well, except through the glass display case. :heh:

I have the Infini set made for Yorktown. After the drama I've encountered with Enterprise, I'm not sure that kit will ever get built.

Ship Model Gallery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1015 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 51  Next