The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:31 pm 
MartinJQuinn wrote:
DavidP wrote:
Adrian, what time period does that model represent as in pre-war, early, mid or late war?

I believe the 1/200 model represents Enterprise around October 1942, during the Battle of Santa Cruz.

Actually, the kit has TBDs, not TBFs. So that limits it to Midway.

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:12 pm 

Guest wrote:
Actually, the kit has TBDs, not TBFs. So that limits it to Midway.

Michael

The 1/350 kit has TBDs as well. Check the AA fit - that will tell you what version she is. If she's got 40mm, its Santa Cruz.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:53 pm 

A kit unboxing, for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiSJgVr0O6c

I'd be interested to know from the experts whether this is a true CV-6 Enterprise kit or just a re-packaged Yorktown.

Last edited by Timmy C on Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator note: unboxing of the Trumpeter 1/200 Enterprise

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:47 pm 

I’m hoping that the experts here can confirm that I’ve got my paint schemes correct. I’m building the Meng CV-6 for what was supposed to be a simple pallet cleanser build. I haven’t added anything aftermarket yet, but AMS is kicking in and I’m scrutinizing the paint.

The kit instructions have the vertical surfaces in a light gray (5-Hish in appearance) and blue decks. If I have my paint schemes correct, this is a mix of prewar colors with the light gray and 1942 and later color decks?

So if I were to do a war time Big E, I would need to paint the vertical surfaces 5-D or 5-N?...or technically dazzle? I am not honestly sure what time frame this kit represents, but am presuming early war since so few kits are a late war fit.

I kind of like the light gray hull and blue flight deck, but am bothered by inaccurate colors. So I’m thinking my closest may be to do measure 1 with the 5-D faded and chalked like it was known to do quickly?

EDIT: I should note I’m looking for a time with “6” on the bow instead of “EN”. It seems the deck may have been stained blue before officially being repainted in to measure 1, but the little commentary I could find of this suggest the bow was still labeled “EN” until early in the war years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:26 pm 

The kit looks to be based around the Midway timeframe. There are no 40mm mounts. If I'm not mistaken, she was painted in Measure 21 (5-N overall) for this battle but on the ship camouflage website, it also mentions Measure 11 (5-S overall) which was earlier in 1942. The flight deck markings were thin dashed lines (much thinner than those shown on the model pictures) on a navy blue deck.

There would not be the numeral 6 until late 1943. Dazzle camouflage in mid 1944 and in 1945 back to MS-21 (5-N). There's a fine set of pixel drawings by Ian Roberts that are an excellent guide for late war Enterprise.

http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9789

Episode 05: Builder's Trials
Guided Tour1: Hangar Deck

ESSEX CLASS TIMELINE
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 Operational History
USS Shangri La, 1945 in Color

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:32 pm 

Edit: Same info as provided above, just a little slower :big_grin:

The Meng kit depicts Enterprise during Midway in 1942. Its not perfect in terms of accuracy, but its reasonably close.

Midway paint is not fully certain. If she was Measure 11, it would have been 5-S vertical and and Deck Blue horizontal. If she was painted Measure 21 at Midway, it would be 5-N on vertical surfaces, and Deck Blue for horizontal surfaces. I believe most are in the 5-N camp.

Additionally, the only markings on the flight deck should be the white/yellow strips. "EN" was removed by mid-41, and I dont think "6" was added until her refit in '43.

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:44 am 

I am not sure Enterprise ever painted with 5-S, even when in "MS-11". Both the Atlantic and Pacific fleets quickly determined that 5-S was too light (or faded too quickly, becoming too light), so MS-11 was modified to use 5-N. Only later was this modification codified as MS-21. So, many ships were painted to the standard that became MS-21 well before MS-21 actually existed. Enterprise fell into that category.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:36 pm 

Thank you all for the replies. I had read some regarding measure 11 possibly never having been worn. Would a 1941 measure 1 Enterprise possibly have the blue deck (minus the EN or 6)? I had read something about the deck being stained blue ahead of the official directive as a test. For a pallet cleansing build, I’m liking measure 1. Unfortunately I’m having a hard time distinguishing 5-D and 5-N in black and white photos to figure this out from reference pictures along.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:01 pm 

Hello, newcomer here with a question. I'm currently working on my 1/350 cv-6 and was wondering about the color of the decks around the island. Were they painted deck blue as well? I've seen many builds where the gun tubs and decks around the island are painted the same color as the vertical surfaces of the ship. The way I interpret the directive for measure 21, these surfaces should all be deck blue, no?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:43 pm 

ottawajones wrote:
Hello, newcomer here with a question. I'm currently working on my 1/350 cv-6 and was wondering about the color of the decks around the island. Were they painted deck blue as well? I've seen many builds where the gun tubs and decks around the island are painted the same color as the vertical surfaces of the ship. The way I interpret the directive for measure 21, these surfaces should all be deck blue, no?

I'm not an absolute expert, but...

1) 5-N and 20-B are designed to be very similar colors. They are different formulations, so they weathered and faded different. But fresh, they're going to look pretty similar. So there may not be much contrast. With that, you are correct about your interpretation of measure 21.

2) At some point (I think Summer of 41, early 42), Big E was painted in Measure 1 where all horizontal and vertical surfaces below the smokestacks were 5-D except the flight deck. In black and white photos, this is a dark gray and I personally have a hard time distinguishing from 5-N on measure 21. I could see some builds not distinguishing the two and use reference photos where they're all the same color.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:32 pm 

This is an interesting shot. I believe we are looking at the hanger deck bulkheads of Enterprise in 1941 at Frame 143.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:15 am 

It is no guarantee, there are several ID errors in 80-GK, but the original transparency says this view was taken in the bay on a CVE. Possibly one of the SANGAMON class involved with Operation Torch. There are quite a few transparencies taken aboard one or more of those CVE's in 80-GK.

I didn't scan this transparency, but one of the guys in the "NARA BOAT PEOPLE" Naval Research Gang did. :big_grin:

This is the full frame of the transparency and shows more details.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 1:28 am 

Yep, you’re probably right. That photo really had me fooled before I saw your version.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:45 am 

I notice its an SBD-5, which I think entered service in May 1943.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 2:21 pm 

Gernot,

That very well could be. The 80-GK images, even worse than 80-G, have many poorly documented images with wrong dates (or no dates) and several wrong ID's as well. A double check with the 80-GK images on History 101, this image is in a grouping of images taken aboard one or more CVE's. Some of the images in this series are called out as showing training and are dated in January 1943, but as I say take that with a grain of salt. One image shows a number "31" displayed in brackets with removable plates on definitely a CVE bridge. "IF" that number is the ships hull number, that would be USS PRINCE WILLIAM (CVE-31). But she wasn't commissioned until April 1943. PRINCE WILLIAM did some ferrying missions in the Pacific, but spent most of the war training aircrews, first in the Pacific and then the Atlantic (starting in 1944).

All I can say, this image ... 80-GK-02608 ... was likely taken aboard a "Training" CVE, but which one for sure is a question mark. I can say unlikely to be one of the SANGAMON class units on further review. :scratch:

Here are a few of the images taken in this series. Note the second image looks like the same "hangar dudes" seen in 80-GK-02608.

Attachments:
2627.jpg
2627.jpg [ 59.42 KiB | Viewed 3202 times ]
2647.jpg
2647.jpg [ 72.62 KiB | Viewed 3202 times ]
2609.jpg
2609.jpg [ 53.83 KiB | Viewed 3202 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:44 am 

I have a question about the I Luv Kit (or whoever's name is on it this week). I am seriously contemplating going for it and am looking at wood decks. The Inifni Models deck is available, but it appears to be for a late '42 fit, which would mean the 40mm's. If I want to stick to a Midway loadout, should I go for the same company's Yorktown deck?

Thanks everyone, I love this forum!

Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:02 am 

Blue Devil wrote:
I have a question about the I Luv Kit (or whoever's name is on it this week). I am seriously contemplating going for it and am looking at wood decks. The Inifni Models deck is available, but it appears to be for a late '42 fit, which would mean the 40mm's. If I want to stick to a Midway loadout, should I go for the same company's Yorktown deck?

Michael

If you are doing Enterprise at Midway, the Yorktown kit would be the better starting point, and therefore the Yorktown deck would be the better choice.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 9:39 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Blue Devil wrote:

Michael

If you are doing Enterprise at Midway, the Yorktown kit would be the better starting point, and therefore the Yorktown deck would be the better choice.

Thanks Martin. So you don't feel the Enterprise kit is correct for Midway?

Michael

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:32 pm 

Blue Devil wrote:
Thanks Martin. So you don't feel the Enterprise kit is correct for Midway?

Michael

Michael,

No. I've built the kit and it's absolutely in it's Santa Cruz fit.

That's being said, there are extra parts in it, which may be from the Yorktown release, but I don't know if it has what you need to do so.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:45 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:

Michael,

No. I've built the kit and it's absolutely in it's Santa Cruz fit.

That's being said, there are extra parts in it, which may be from the Yorktown release, but I don't know if it has what you need to do so.

Hi Martin,
Most excellent build.

What colours did you paint her in overall 5-N or 5-S?
What brand of paints did you use?

Great Build again and have a great week,
Mark

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 49  Next