The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:26 pm 

Thanks Mark. She's overall 5N (navy blue), from the Sovereign colourcoats ranges of paints.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:43 pm 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Thanks Mark. She's overall 5N (navy blue), from the Sovereign colourcoats ranges of paints.

Hi Martin,

Damn I thought you were going to say that. Any ideas on a good match to 5-N Navy Blue in other brands?

Thanks again and have a great week.
Mark.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:29 am 

Brocky wrote:
Any ideas on a good match to 5-N Navy Blue in other brands?

I've been doing some testing lately for the 1/700 scale Academy CV-6 that I'm building. I've found the Scale Colors acrylic brand is pretty much spot-on for the S&S color samples. The Lifecolor 5-N is also very close, maybe a little light, but for scale effect, it'll look great.

-Devin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:56 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Blue Devil wrote:
Thanks Martin. So you don't feel the Enterprise kit is correct for Midway?

Michael

Michael,

No. I've built the kit and it's absolutely in it's Santa Cruz fit.

That's being said, there are extra parts in it, which may be from the Yorktown release, but I don't know if it has what you need to do so.

Thanks for your help, Martin. And nice build! Another obnoxious question, if I might. When you say the kit is definitely in her Santa Cruz fit, do you mean that the 1.1 quads have been replaced by 40mm's? Are the 1.1's still in the box from the Yorktown kit? When I look at the parts trees online, it looks like 1.1's rather than 40's, but I may be looking at the wrong thing.

Thanks again!

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:15 pm 

Blue Devil wrote:
Thanks for your help, Martin. And nice build! Another obnoxious question, if I might. When you say the kit is definitely in her Santa Cruz fit, do you mean that the 1.1 quads have been replaced by 40mm's? Are the 1.1's still in the box from the Yorktown kit? When I look at the parts trees online, it looks like 1.1's rather than 40's, but I may be looking at the wrong thing.

Thanks again!

Michael

As David mentioned, the only 1.1 left was on the bow, in place of the earlier pair of 20mm guns. The other 1.1s around the island had been replaced with 40mm. So, looking at the kit parts, you might see 1.1in guns in the kit.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:45 pm 

Is there any word if a post 43 refit in 1/350 scale will be released? I'm of the minority that don't find the ship interesting before it's major refit with torpedo bulges.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:06 pm 

From those who were helping Merit with CV-5 and CV-6, there were apparently plans for a pre-war Yorktown, and late war Enterprise, but they never came to fruition.

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:30 pm 

Which is odd, since both kits seemed to sell quite well.

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:22 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Blue Devil wrote:
Thanks Martin. So you don't feel the Enterprise kit is correct for Midway?

Michael

Michael,

No. I've built the kit and it's absolutely in it's Santa Cruz fit.

That's being said, there are extra parts in it, which may be from the Yorktown release, but I don't know if it has what you need to do so.

So, not being one to leave things alone, I did some research on the interwebs. The Merit/I Love Kit Enterprise seems to have all the same sprues from the Yorktown kit except for sprue Q. Here is Q from the Yorktown kit:

https://imgur.com/bADMTUg

Sprue S from the Big E kit:

https://imgur.com/nPcGwun

(Sorry the pictures aren't imbedded. I cannot figure out how to do that anymore.)

Now, I don't know enough to know if that different gun gallery is a problem to backdate the Enterprise kit to a Midway fit, but all the weapons, other gun tubs, etc. from the Yorktown appear to still be there. So I'm at least thinking that it shouldn't be too difficult. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:05 am 

Edit: Thanks to @Roger Torgeson for this photo:
My WIP post

Hello! I was wondering if anyone have a nice port side view of the island from 1943-1945 (after the bridge change)?:
But i'm having trouble to see which porthole has changed on the portside.
Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:15 am 

Hi all,

I've been reading the past few pages to accurately build Enterprise during the battle of Midway. I'm using the Academy 1/700 kit and it has 5 plastic stumps around the island. From what I've read the 4 that I've circled in red are supposed to be .50 cal? The one in the blue circle I'm not sure what it is, is it safe to assume nothing was there or should I place another .50 cal? Also, there should have only been 1 search light in both platforms? The instructions from the Academy kit said there should have been two, so I just want to be sure.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments:
Enterpise3.png
Enterpise3.png [ 315.82 KiB | Viewed 3709 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:34 am 

The items circled in red were .50 cal machine guns which had been located there from commissioning. The item circled in blue was not, but I am not sure what it was. If you look closely at the photos, the forward side of that projecting "tub" was a steel bulwark with wind deflectors - those deflectors were rarely, if ever, installed on gun tubs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:03 am 

Dick J wrote:
The items circled in red were .50 cal machine guns which had been located there from commissioning. The item circled in blue was not, but I am not sure what it was. If you look closely at the photos, the forward side of that projecting "tub" was a steel bulwark with wind deflectors - those deflectors were rarely, if ever, installed on gun tubs.

Oh I see, thank you very much! I guess I'll just leave the area in the blue circle empty for now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:53 am 

G'day, I'm in the process of building Enterprise as she appeared at the end of 1942 using the Pontos set and Trumpeters 1/350 kit. Can anyone tell me if Enterprise had her forward starboard sponson removed at this time? The kit has both port and starboard sponsons coming off the forward hanger doors. I think that the starboard one was removed after the battle of Santa Cruise.

Thanks
David Gatt

Attachments:
Starboard sponson.jpg
Starboard sponson.jpg [ 284.66 KiB | Viewed 3390 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:29 am 

I've got a larger scan of this photo on her Navsource page and it *looks* like it's gone but my copy's not much better. Scans from her damage reports of the time don't really show this area. I might have some more scans in 80-G but I seem to remember that 1942 and Enterprise in general have been more miss than hit for me. I'll do some more digging tonight after work if someone else hasn't responded.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:11 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
I've got a larger scan of this photo on her Navsource page and it *looks* like it's gone but my copy's not much better. Scans from her damage reports of the time don't really show this area. I might have some more scans in 80-G but I seem to remember that 1942 and Enterprise in general have been more miss than hit for me. I'll do some more digging tonight after work if someone else hasn't responded.

Thank you. The photo is of enterprise earlier in 1942. She only has a single 40mm on each stern quarter. By the end of 43, she had two 40 mm on each corner I twin tubs.

David Gatt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:19 pm 

DavidP wrote:
David, those are single barrel 20mm guns located on each corner of the stern flight deck not single barrel 40mm guns. that ship never had single barrel 40mm guns.
http://www.cv6.org/ship/armament.htm

Sorry, my error. Posted too early in the morning.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:36 pm 

Hello:

Has someone yet compiled a list of tweaks or corrections for the Merit 1/350 Enterprise kit? I'm just getting going on this kit. I scanned through this thread and found a few things mentioned here and there, but I haven't found a document that tries to bring it all together. If folks want to contribute things that they found, I wouldn't mind putting a list together and posting it here.

Cheers
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:53 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Downloadable video of the Doolittle Raid with excellent imagery of operations aboard Enterprise CV-6 and Hornet CV-8 from the National Archives:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/81418

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:18 pm 

Starting my Merit Enterprise. Finally. How far should I sand down the hull plates?

Vern

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 49  Next