The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:45 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Start with the Franklin kit for the extra quad AA mounts as well. She retained the single quad 40mm mount on the stern at that time, though.

That is the direction I am heading. I'm going to start with the Franklin and swap the island and single stern 40mm mount from the Essex kit. I wish Trumpeter was more like Dragon and wasn't as stingy with extra parts in their kits. One Sprue E from the Essex kit looks like all that you need to complete this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:34 am 

Hello,

I’m interesting in producing a model of Intrepid, representing her during the latter half of 1944. I’m pretty confident I know what the ship herself looked like. Where I am a little stuck is with the question: What tail or other markings did her airwing carry during this period?

Looking through my references I have three options:

Option one. A single white plus (+) sign applied to either side of the tail. This strikes me as the most likely.

Option two. A single white vertical stripe applied to either side of the tail, and a white stripe applied to the port wing. It is my understanding is that this was the marking adopted in 1945 and so is outside of the timeframe I’m hoping to represent.

Option three. A two digit number on the tail, underlined with a single horizontal white line. This is shown on the rear cover of the AOTS covering Intrepid. And is (unhelpfully) dated as 1944.

Any insight and or confirmation would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Adrian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:52 pm 

This is from Warships Perspectives, Essex Class Aircraft Carriers in World War Two, by Glenn R. Arnold. For discussion purposes only.
Attachment:
File comment: Warships Perspectives, Essex Class Aircraft Carriers in World War Two, by Glenn R. Arnold
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 294 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:55 pm 

ADavies wrote:
Option one. A single white plus (+) sign applied to either side of the tail. This strikes me as the most likely.

Option two. A single white vertical stripe applied to either side of the tail, and a white stripe applied to the port wing. It is my understanding is that this was the marking adopted in 1945 and so is outside of the timeframe I’m hoping to represent.

Option three. A two digit number on the tail, underlined with a single horizontal white line. This is shown on the rear cover of the AOTS covering Intrepid. And is (unhelpfully) dated as 1944.

According to this famous photograph (taken in November 1944) option one is right.

Best regards

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:41 pm 
Thank you Marty. I forgot I had that book.

Thank you Adam, the photo is very useful and makes for a very compelling argument. I think I have what I need now.

Best.

Adrian.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 am 

Talking about Glenn R. Arnold's book - I think it is mistake in description. It should be 1945, not 1944. These markings are correct for early 1945.

Below F4U-1D Corsair from the USS Intrepid. This photo was taken in April 1945 during the invasion of Okinawa.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118