The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 133  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:45 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
Start with the Franklin kit for the extra quad AA mounts as well. She retained the single quad 40mm mount on the stern at that time, though.

That is the direction I am heading. I'm going to start with the Franklin and swap the island and single stern 40mm mount from the Essex kit. I wish Trumpeter was more like Dragon and wasn't as stingy with extra parts in their kits. One Sprue E from the Essex kit looks like all that you need to complete this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:34 am 

Hello,

I’m interesting in producing a model of Intrepid, representing her during the latter half of 1944. I’m pretty confident I know what the ship herself looked like. Where I am a little stuck is with the question: What tail or other markings did her airwing carry during this period?

Looking through my references I have three options:

Option one. A single white plus (+) sign applied to either side of the tail. This strikes me as the most likely.

Option two. A single white vertical stripe applied to either side of the tail, and a white stripe applied to the port wing. It is my understanding is that this was the marking adopted in 1945 and so is outside of the timeframe I’m hoping to represent.

Option three. A two digit number on the tail, underlined with a single horizontal white line. This is shown on the rear cover of the AOTS covering Intrepid. And is (unhelpfully) dated as 1944.

Any insight and or confirmation would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Adrian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:52 pm 

This is from Warships Perspectives, Essex Class Aircraft Carriers in World War Two, by Glenn R. Arnold. For discussion purposes only.
Attachment:
File comment: Warships Perspectives, Essex Class Aircraft Carriers in World War Two, by Glenn R. Arnold
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 4441 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:55 pm 

ADavies wrote:
Option one. A single white plus (+) sign applied to either side of the tail. This strikes me as the most likely.

Option two. A single white vertical stripe applied to either side of the tail, and a white stripe applied to the port wing. It is my understanding is that this was the marking adopted in 1945 and so is outside of the timeframe I’m hoping to represent.

Option three. A two digit number on the tail, underlined with a single horizontal white line. This is shown on the rear cover of the AOTS covering Intrepid. And is (unhelpfully) dated as 1944.

According to this famous photograph (taken in November 1944) option one is right.

Best regards

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:41 pm 
Thank you Marty. I forgot I had that book.

Thank you Adam, the photo is very useful and makes for a very compelling argument. I think I have what I need now.

Best.

Adrian.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:48 am 

Talking about Glenn R. Arnold's book - I think it is mistake in description. It should be 1945, not 1944. These markings are correct for early 1945.

Below F4U-1D Corsair from the USS Intrepid. This photo was taken in April 1945 during the invasion of Okinawa.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm 

Does the Trumpeter 1/700 Franklin kit depict the ship in her 1944 or 1945 configuration? I recently read that the Franklin lost her hangar deck cat prior to her first deployment, but did not get a port flight deck catapult until her refit at the end of 1944.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:47 am 

Mikevpd wrote:
Does the Trumpeter 1/700 Franklin kit depict the ship in her 1944 or 1945 configuration? I recently read that the Franklin lost her hangar deck cat prior to her first deployment, but did not get a port flight deck catapult until her refit at the end of 1944.

Trumpeter 1/700 Franklin kit (like 1/350 Trumpeter kit) represents 1945 configuration. Of course there are some mistakes. But color painting guide you will find inside the box shows the ship in dazzle paint scheme (MS 32/6a (Starboard)/MS 32/3a (Port)). So it is right only for configuration from the second half of 1944.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:51 pm 

Hi:

I have a technical question about my current WIP build of 1:350 Trumpeter USS Hancock. I've attached two photos of where I am at present with the hull, along with a photo of the ARTWOK wooden flight deck for forward section. My question has to do with the two steam catapult channels on either side of the forward elevator on flight deck. ARTWOK kits come with minimal instructions or hints, so I'd like to ask the Essex Class modelers in the group, how to deal with these catapults. It is apparent that the catapults could be cut out per the lines on the piece, but should they? Additionally ARTWOK provides a second set of outline cutouts that includes the two catapults. Should these be pasted on top of the ones included in the deck section, or should the ones in the deck section be cutout and left empty to give some 3-D depth down to plastic deck section? In all of the many Hancock photos available, I haven't located any which show closeup catapult detail. I also have not seen any indication that catapult parts are included . I have the ToM's Modelworks set for Essex carriers, which includes arresting cable tiedowns and crash barrier supports but nothing for catapults.Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

Attachments:
Hancock Forward Fllight Deck Wood Planking Add-on.jpg
Hancock Forward Fllight Deck Wood Planking Add-on.jpg [ 193.45 KiB | Viewed 3993 times ]
Hancock Port Side.jpg
Hancock Port Side.jpg [ 142.11 KiB | Viewed 3993 times ]
Hancock Starboard Side.jpg
Hancock Starboard Side.jpg [ 133.89 KiB | Viewed 3993 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:42 pm 

The catapult tracks were flush with the wood deck, so I wouldn't cut out the deck pieces if you want to stay more true to the actual ship.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:56 pm 

Another Lexington question...

When did she receive the two quad 40mm mounts on the port side aft of the deck edge elevator? Sources I have checked say either early 1944 or mid-1945.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mikevpd on Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:34 pm 

Mikevpd wrote:
When did she receive the two quad 40mm mounts on the port side aft of the deck edge elevator? Sources I have checked say both early 1944 or mid-1945.

The two quad 40MM just below flightdeck level aft of the port side elevator were part of a "package deal" that was fitted to the Essex's. Those along with the three ouboard of and below the island on the starboard side were referred to as "outboard quad 40MM". The package generally included extending the two starboard, after hangar deck level mounts further outboard as well. (All of the outboards had to be removed to transit the Panama canal.) Lexington was the first of the class to receive the mod, and the only Essex to have the mod while retaining the quad on the face of the island. She was torpedoed in early Dec '43, and the outboards were installed during her repairs - completed by the end of Feb '44.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:11 am 

Thank you, Dick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:09 pm 

On my Trumpy 1/350 Handcock with an Artwox deck, I removed the cat tracks and made replacements out of 0.010 thick plastic.

Attachments:
Flight Deck #81.JPG
Flight Deck #81.JPG [ 149.94 KiB | Viewed 3601 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:26 am 

Not quite ready yet, but what color were the 20 mm & 40 mm armament painted? Were they painted to match the camaflouge color where they were mounted or were they painted a neutral gray color?

Attachments:
Hull #347.JPG
Hull #347.JPG [ 244.54 KiB | Viewed 3551 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:41 pm 

Nice looking model.
Stuch wrote:
Were they painted to match the camaflouge color where they were mounted

They were painted to match the surrounding camouflage

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Post subject: Hangar deck order.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:29 pm 

Was there an arrangement, set of standards or order by which the different types of aircraft were stored and maintained on the hangar deck on WWII era Essex class carriers?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am 

Some stunning colour footage of YORKTOWN CV-10 under construction and at the Panama Canal in 43.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/videos/uss-yorktown?offlinecontent=include&phrase=uss%20yorktown&sort=best

Episode 05: Builder's Trials
Guided Tour1: Hangar Deck

ESSEX CLASS TIMELINE
USS Ticonderoga CV-14 Operational History
USS Shangri La, 1945 in Color

Post subject: Re: Hangar deck order.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:49 pm 

Bullet175 wrote:
Was there an arrangement, set of standards or order by which the different types of aircraft were stored and maintained on the hangar deck on WWII era Essex class carriers?

Spotting & spares has been something I've been trying to research at the archives the last couple of years with no success. A lot would have depended on year as things evolved over the war, and may have depended on the strikes and munitions used (heavier bombs would put some planes further aft in the deck strike for a longer take-off run until the use of the catapults became more wide spread). The engine and prop shops were at the aft end of the hangar bay, so heavier work around the powerplant probably took place there. A lot of times when there was a "dud" plane (either engine problem on take off or accident on landing) they would move it below as quickly as possible via the deck-edge elevator, so my guess is that there wasn't a lot parked here permanently during operations to leave room for these aircraft.

The closest thing I have to a parking plan is from CV-13 Franklin's 1945 damage report, where Plate 2 maps out the deck strike and Plate 3 maps the hangar deck spot at the time of her bombing. Paragraph 3-28 states that six aircraft in the hangar bay aft were defueled and not armed, indicating to me they weren't taking part in the strikes and were probably down for maintenance or spares.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:07 pm 

I'm sure this has been addressed, but this thread is over a hundred pages long...

I want to make a 1/350 Intrepid.. I'm very amateur. I can make the kit, and paint it so it looks ok from 5 feet off. I am not talented enough to make custom parts and I normally discard any photoetech I don't consider really necessary. What kit is the best approximation of her in WW2? Essex, Yorktown? What easy modifications can be made to either kit to be more accurate? Honestly, given my skill level, it may be best to take whichever available model is closest and just slap an 11 on the deck with the appropriate paintjob.

For reasons beyond my control I have to live in NY for the better part of a year at least (which I know is amazing for so many, but it's outside my comfort zone, and it's keeping me from my family when I really think I need to be there for them- but I'll skip the long story) and I just want to make the best of it.. And for me, appreciating the Intrepid is the best I can do (She reminds me of home, where the Yorktown is spending her retirement and I'm a frequent visitor.)

Any help is appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2655 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 133  Next